• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

The below scenario is no different.

You would not go over to another dealer and hand him the list. You wait until he is done in the booth and talk to him in the aisle.

A customer walks over to a dealer 1's booth and asks for the best price on 10 books that he has an interest in. The dealer tells him that he will compile a list and get him the prices in a couple of minutes. The potential customer thanks him and asks him if the dealer could rush the list as he needs to get back to the office in a hurry. The dealer spots the customer at another booth. Dealer 1 sees that a second dealer is working on a list for the same customer so with no direct interaction taking place dealer 1 hands the customer his list.

In my imagined scenario, I really can't fault anyone. I'm not saying this is your case but simply conjured up my own scenario.

Then again I'm a bit of a novice.

I'm not going to buy drugs from a drug dealer.

I'll wait till he sells the drugs to my friend, and buy the drugs from them.

It's not the books fault. There's no reason it can't be purchased from someone else.

mike, it's my understanding that a few of his d.c.'s actually do have some culpability.

Well, he hasn't screwed me over, so I don't see what the problem is.

So what if he got disbarred for taking his clients' money and using it to front the purchase of inventory? It's not like ethics are really all that important when business is concerned. People bought from Al Capone, didn't they? Besides, it wasn't my money, and at any rate, disbarment isn't anything special, hell Fred Phelps got disbarred. I bet it's a badge of courage for some folk. Kind of like a Purple Heart.

Look, I think it's only fair to say that as long as someone else is getting screwed over - shucks, I'd bet most don't even know it's happening, and what they don't know can't hurt 'em, ain't I right? - and no laws are being broken, it's all good. And to clarify, I mean real laws, like treason and murder and stuff

Sal, Sal, Sal...you're being terribly naive...

Remember:

screaming-fan.jpg

This is how addic...er, collectors...look at dealers who have what they want...

You KNOW this....

;)

So should Bob punch everyone in the nads who has set up shop in this thread? I find it very ironic the thread was about someone using his space in a rude way. Yet, here we are. Good stuff.

Possessions are fleeting.........

Enough of this silly love fest and philosophical mumbo jumbo. Let's get back on track with the violence. Knocking the stuffing out of someone, especially a piece of human debris, can be pretty satisfying. Rock on, Bob. :slapfight:

In before the lock.gif

:o

Toasty, don't say it! You'll lose points!

Does it make a difference if:

A customer walks over to a dealer 1's booth and asks for the best price on 10 books that he has an interest in. The dealer tells him that he will compile a list and get him the prices in a couple of minutes. The potential customer thanks him and asks him if the dealer could rush the list as he needs to get back to the office in a hurry. The dealer spots the customer at another booth. Dealer 1 sees that a second dealer is working on a list for the same customer so with no direct interaction taking place dealer 1 hands the customer his list.

In my imagined scenario, I really can't fault anyone. I'm not saying this is your case but simply conjured up my own scenario.

Then again I'm a bit of a novice. (shrug)

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Doug/Pedigree did not have a booth (and from what I gather rarely shells out for one).

He is merely another oik wandering the floor and then fetches up at blazingbob's paid for booth and attempts to sell comics to one of Bob's customers while Bob is talking to the customer.

I understand it is your imagined scenario, but please, let's deal with the case at hand, not a lot of hypotheticals.

I see he just made an announcement in the dealers section about the November auction. I wonder if he will chime in here? hm

Given the reception/reaction Matt got, and Matt was simply in a photo with Doug and didn't actually do anything to Bob in NYC, I highly doubt Doug would be rushing to get here.

In addition, most collectors are addicts so what is to be gained by commenting?

If Doug has the books that are in short supply at the grade, the buyers will line up.

Fortunately, some of us won't be "lining up".

I'm not going to do business with him. I'll wait until he sells the book to someone else and then I'll buy it from them.

Does he actually sell books that you buy :shrug:

Do not argue with an idjit. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

You're right. I should have just moved along.

Indeed.

I can't wait to meet you in person.

You'll be disappointed.

+1

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Doug/Pedigree did not have a booth (and from what I gather rarely shells out for one).

He is merely another oik wandering the floor and then fetches up at blazingbob's paid for booth and attempts to sell comics to one of Bob's customers while Bob is talking to the customer.

I understand it is your imagined scenario, but please, let's deal with the case at hand, not a lot of hypotheticals.

And there lies the crux of it all. Bob paid for his booth. Dingle-fingle did not. This reminds me of PGX telling people they will be witnessing signatures and collecting books at shows, but never actually having a booth.

Slice this any way you like, but it is BS that this clown decided to pull at Bob's booth. And this an apparent long time "dealer" and not a complete noob, If this jackazz wants to do biz at a show, he needs to buy a booth or table like everyone else and not do business at the expense of others.

I know, repeating what the majority here has already stated...but just in case you're late to the party...

Do not argue with an idjit. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

You're right. I should have just moved along.

Indeed.

I can't wait to meet you in person.

You'll be disappointed.

+1

The real Watson and his board persona are light years apart. I'd hang with Watson after having met him last year, even after once referring to him as the board's resident petty antagonist long ago. :baiting:

So what if he got disbarred for taking his clients' money and using it to front the purchase of inventory? It's not like ethics are really all that important when business is concerned. People bought from Al Capone, didn't they? Besides, it wasn't my money, and at any rate, disbarment isn't anything special, hell Fred Phelps got disbarred. I bet it's a badge of courage for some folk. Kind of like a Purple Heart.

Look, I think it's only fair to say that as long as someone else is getting screwed over - shucks, I'd bet most don't even know it's happening, and what they don't know can't hurt 'em, ain't I right? - and no laws are being broken, it's all good. And to clarify, I mean real laws, like treason and murder and stuff

Disbarment aside, he has screwed over every single person on this board that buys/sells high grade comics. By manipulating GPA info and shilling his auctions, he is influencing the market which in turn has an effect on those of us that either buy or sell high grade books. He wouldn't be doing it if it had no purpose. Although I suppose that it could be argued that he is influencing the market to the benefit of sellers, in which case I guess only the buyer side of the equation is getting screwed.

George needs to address this. If Doug admitted to doing this, he should lose his ability to report sales. GPA's value as a service is limited to the trust we place in the accuracy of the data. George has done a great job building up the service in a true void for real-time pricing data, but now he needs to defend the integrity of his data set. To allow someone like Doug to brag openly about manipulating GPA data is a slap in the face for George's brand and the decade he has spent developing it.

George, please don't ignore this.

Disbarment aside, he has screwed over every single person on this board that buys/sells high grade comics. By manipulating GPA info and shilling his auctions, he is influencing the market which in turn has an effect on those of us that either buy or sell high grade books. He wouldn't be doing it if it had no purpose. Although I suppose that it could be argued that he is influencing the market to the benefit of sellers, in which case I guess only the buyer side of the equation is getting screwed.

George needs to address this. If Doug admitted to doing this, he should lose his ability to report sales. GPA's value as a service is limited to the trust we place in the accuracy of the data. George has done a great job building up the service in a true void for real-time pricing data, but now he needs to defend the integrity of his data set. To allow someone like Doug to brag openly about manipulating GPA data is a slap in the face for George's brand and the decade he has spent developing it.

(thumbs u

Nice Flamefest!

I've done business with Pedigree comics and always been happy with the service.....is what Schemell (or whatever his name is) a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed for doing that at your booth, CERTAINLY!

Would I do biz with Pedigree again, I'm sure I will (service was above par) I've had no bad experiences with them.

I've also done business with Classics and WWcomics. Again, was very happy when dealing with both (in fact just received my beautiful WW 9.6 woohoo!). Matt has been super easy and nice over the phone and the services he provided me in pressing/slabbing were top notch. I would certainly do biz with again! would I bid on one of his auctions...NOT! That's okay with me, I gather the information here and it helps me to decide how I want to deal with each dealer/service provider.

Now, I have also had 3 experiences with other (praised or deemed exceptional) known dealers where I was very very unhappy (actually 2 unhappy and 1 I felt was very abrasive). One dealer actually said to my face, "well shouldnt you be driving a Bentley then?" when I was talking to him about what I collect and my collection(trying to see if he had anything I needed). Needless to say they wont receive a penny from me ever.

Anyways, it's great to read stuff on hear to educate but, I dont believe it should dictate. If it does for you great, I just like to make my own educated decisions and give people a chance.

Maybe if all the buyers in this hobby would stop buying from unethical like Schmell, there wouldn't be any unethical like Schmell in this hobby.

And by unethical, I mean disbarred as a lawyer for playing games with other people's money, trying to get a known Ewert trimmed book by CGC after he was informed that it was a Ewert book and of course the impetus for this thread.

I sure am glad that you have had no bad experiences with him though.

:eyeroll:

This.

Although you did forget falsifying sales data submitted to GPA in order to 'protect the market'. :/

Careful everyone. Keep stating things like this and you'll be accused of being self righteous and holier than thou for *gasp* having standards. :o Don't you all know it's a-ok to do business with anyone as long as they haven't screwed you personally?? :makepoint:

I believe George did inform Doug about this and all sales are reported now?

At the Reed New York show I was at my booth giving a customer some prices on books he was interested in.

Doug Schmell of Pedigreecomics.com sees my customer, comes over and hands him and I a sale sheet of books he has for sale.

This is while I am speaking to my customer giving him prices.

My customer looks at the list and tells Doug the only book he would be interested in would be the Strange Tales #105 9.4.

Doug then reaches into his briefcase and places the book on top of my boxes for my customer to check out.

He looks at the book while I'm still trying to give him all of my best prices on the books he's interested in.

My customer tells me and Doug that he is waiting for a call from his secretary.

My customer leaves.

Doug is still in front of my booth.

I tell Doug and I quote "Don't ever do ing business at my booth again"

Doug seems a little surprised. He quickly gives me a "I'm sorry".

I then ask him if he would like to give me $100 for doing business at my booth.

He proceeds to tell me that he doesn't have to give me $100. I remind him that I paid to setup at the show.

I could tell that Doug doesn't really feel he did something wroing so I told him that if he thought what he did was ok he should walk around the show and ask other dealers. I told him that somebody else might have punched him in the face. He basically told me that probably wouldn't have happened.

He then states that this has nothing to do with my customer, that I'm still pissed off that he got first look at the Greg Reece collection.

I state again that this has nothing to do with the Greg Reece books and to not do business at my booth ever again. He comes back with "I said I'm sorry" and that he was leaving soon and might have missed dealing with the guy. I told him I didn't care what his time schedule was and that if he had business to do with the buy it was in the aisle or somewhere else.

Doug's last comment to me which basically states that he doesn't give a rats about anything I just said was "Was there anyting on the list you were interested in".

I told him to take the list and shove it.

If any new sellers aren't clear about this rule let me state it again.

Don't ever do your selling business at a dealers booth.

That's completely different than what happened here. The guy trying to peddle books at Bob's booth wasn't even set up as a dealer. There was no prior discussion between them.

Bob, it's unfortunate that this happened. I, however, am not going to post "I'm sorry" as so many have though because I refuse to apologize for other people having no tact and behaving like assmonkeys.

Nice Flamefest!

I've done business with Pedigree comics and always been happy with the service.....is what Schemell (or whatever his name is) a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed for doing that at your booth, CERTAINLY!

Would I do biz with Pedigree again, I'm sure I will (service was above par) I've had no bad experiences with them.

I've also done business with Classics and WWcomics. Again, was very happy when dealing with both (in fact just received my beautiful WW 9.6 woohoo!). Matt has been super easy and nice over the phone and the services he provided me in pressing/slabbing were top notch. I would certainly do biz with again! would I bid on one of his auctions...NOT! That's okay with me, I gather the information here and it helps me to decide how I want to deal with each dealer/service provider.

Now, I have also had 3 experiences with other (praised or deemed exceptional) known dealers where I was very very unhappy (actually 2 unhappy and 1 I felt was very abrasive). One dealer actually said to my face, "well shouldnt you be driving a Bentley then?" when I was talking to him about what I collect and my collection(trying to see if he had anything I needed). Needless to say they wont receive a penny from me ever.

Anyways, it's great to read stuff on hear to educate but, I dont believe it should dictate. If it does for you great, I just like to make my own educated decisions and give people a chance.

Maybe if all the buyers in this hobby would stop buying from unethical like Schmell, there wouldn't be any unethical like Schmell in this hobby.

And by unethical, I mean disbarred as a lawyer for playing games with other people's money, trying to get a known Ewert trimmed book by CGC after he was informed that it was a Ewert book and of course the impetus for this thread.

I sure am glad that you have had no bad experiences with him though.

:eyeroll:

+1

I read the disbarred legal stuff and was very intrigued with the third paragraph:

The Departmental Disciplinary Committee served respondent with a notice and statement of 256 charges alleging he violated the Code of Professional Responsibility. Charges 1 through 3 involve having sex with a hooker in his office while his secretary took 'notes.' This was a direct violation of DR 1-102(A)(4), 9-102(A) and 9-102©(4).   Charges 4 through 25 concern smoking crack during courtroom preceedings violating DR 9-102(A). Also, he has a habit of stealing other clients from other attorneys.