• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

What amazes me about Eddie more than anything is how that guy could play so trashed. I've heard interviews in the '80s where is just sloshed. And check out that Live without a Net solo....you can almost see the blow falling out of his nose. And yet he gives a phenomenal 10+ minute solo.

When EVH was "cutting his teeth on Clapton" he had no idea what a pentatonic scale was. He did not even know how to play a guitar, he only copied things he seen and heard. At that same time, Randy was a teacher of classical guitar at his families very prestigious music school (when he was 16yrs old). Randy formed Quiet Riot at the age of 17 and was already doing the things that made EVH famous in the years to come.

In the late 70's EVH was not a very good guitarist he was simply doing triplet pull off's in a sequential manner.........and that was never heard of in main stream music.

There are 3 guitarist in the worl that have truly redefined the guitar: Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman and Randy Rhoads.

I have been playing guitar for almost 20yrs and there is nothing EVH has recorded I cannot play, yet there is a ton that Randy recorded (much less body of work mind you) that I and many other guitarists cannot play CORRECTLY.

If you can play any VH, then :o I'm impressed. What's your favorite VH song you play?

When EVH was "cutting his teeth on Clapton" he had no idea what a pentatonic scale was. He did not even know how to play a guitar, he only copied things he seen and heard. At that same time, Randy was a teacher of classical guitar at his families very prestigious music school (when he was 16yrs old). Randy formed Quiet Riot at the age of 17 and was already doing the things that made EVH famous in the years to come.

In the late 70's EVH was not a very good guitarist he was simply doing triplet pull off's in a sequential manner.........and that was never heard of in main stream music.

There are 3 guitarist in the worl that have truly redefined the guitar: Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman and Randy Rhoads.

I have been playing guitar for almost 20yrs and there is nothing EVH has recorded I cannot play, yet there is a ton that Randy recorded (much less body of work mind you) that I and many other guitarists cannot play CORRECTLY.

If you can play any VH, then :o I'm impressed. What's your favorite VH song you play?

Duh, it is eruption lol But I do not frequently play any Van Halen songs.

The guys I jam with like to play Skynard. Allman Bros and Gov't Mule.

When I was a kid all I played was Metallica and Pantera.

I was not meaning to be literal, just saying I can and have bought books and am able to pick up Van Halen tunes, where I have been working on learning original Ozzy for 20yrs and still cannot play it.

Judas Priest was HOT,HOT,HOT in the eighties. :headbang:

I freakin' love Judas Priest, them and Iron Maiden are my 2 all time favorite bands. The latest Priest album Nostradamus was horrible though in my opinion. They are in the studio now recording there next album and apparently it is supposed to be straight forward metal according to Blabbermouth.com. I can't wait to see them on tour again. No KK anymore though.... :sorry:

They are on tour right now. In fact I am seeing them Sunday night, with Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society. I also just saw Saxon a couple weeks ago, another gret band for heavy and melodic.

I will have to check out there tour dates then and see if they are coming around Maine/Mass. I guess they are not in the studio then. :headbang:

lol She rocks!

Oh my dead Lord.

I've never been more excited by a video in my entire life.

I have just emailed this link to over a dozen guitar players I know.

Waiting for the replies to roll in :popcorn:

Dear Lord. I must have that vixen in the Lolita dress. It shall be my life's quest hence forth.

:headbang:

I just don't see how anyone can say this is 'sloppy'.

Looks almost effortless. The guy is a master of the guitar.

He's sloppy in the sense that he plays by feel and not by exact note, technically speaking.

lol She rocks!

Oh my dead Lord.

Dear Lord. I must have that vixen in the Lolita dress. It shall be my life's quest hence forth.

It's Roy.

:banana:

You can just PM him.

:banana::banana:

lol She rocks!

She does rock, but is not playing it correctly. She is using all power chords instead of playing the many different chords used in that song.

BTW Quiet Riots first album was released before Van Halens :baiting:

Same year, and in Japan only. And Randy Rhodes was not the guitar on it he became. No where near.

lol She rocks!

Oh my dead Lord.

Just so you know, there seems to be some question as to if it's actually a female...

lol

They are on tour right now. In fact I am seeing them Sunday night, with Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society.

Yep, and I'm seeing them on Thursday. I know it will be good. Unlike a lot of singers from that era, Halford still has it. Also going to see Chickenfoot the next week in a club, just because it's general admission and I can get very close. Have never seen Satriani before, even though I live in his hometown.

I just don't see how anyone can say this is 'sloppy'.

Looks almost effortless. The guy is a master of the guitar.

He's sloppy in the sense that he plays by feel and by note, technically speaking.

Roy is right. Page is sloppy. But he was a master of creating mood with his guitar. Out of these guys, I think he was the best at crafting an entire song, rather than just putting together killer riffs or solos.

lol She rocks!

Oh my dead Lord.

Just so you know, there seems to be some question as to if it's actually a female...

lol

When I'm done with her, there'll be no more question. :sumo:

I hate posting before I finish reading the thread.

Anyways, Ozzy had one more album in his contract that he wanted out of. They wanted it to be a live album and he did not want to release any Rhoads material, so they went on tour just doing Sabbath songs to make Speak of the Devil to fullfill the contract.

BTW Ozzy said Gillis learned Rhoads material and played it perfectly in a matter of weeks. That says alot because back in 1982 the only guitarist on earth who could even stand in Rhoads shadow was EVH and he really wasn't all that.

Maybe Ozzy was just being kind to Gillis by saying these things.

I appreciate Randy Rhodes, but he's just a pimple on EVH's butt.

doh!

No way.

Eddie was a blues guitarist. Randy was a Classical one.

Randy made it a point to take guitar lessons while on the road touring by looking up guitar teachers ahead of time in all the cities they stopped in.

The two are difficult to compare but I'd choose Randy over Eddie any day of the week.

;)

Eddie cut his teeth learning Clapton, but he was the first to really bring classical into rock guitar. Not only did he break that genre wide open, but his range of technique was just breathtaking. Randy's body of work is tiny compared to his. And Eddie's playing is just so seamless and colored. I admit it's lacking in the emotion department (Hendrix blows him away there), but VH was always more about sex than love. At least until Hagar came in.

The Great Kat is your classical guitar winner.

http://www.greatkat.com/03/greatkat1.html

lol She rocks!

Oh my dead Lord.

It's Roy.

:banana:

You can just PM him.

:banana::banana:

lol

Jerry C rocks it pretty good too.

This new generation of kids can shred better than I could even imagine was possible 20 years ago.

Judas Priest was HOT,HOT,HOT in the eighties. :headbang:

I freakin' love Judas Priest, them and Iron Maiden are my 2 all time favorite bands. The latest Priest album Nostradamus was horrible though in my opinion. They are in the studio now recording there next album and apparently it is supposed to be straight forward metal according to Blabbermouth.com. I can't wait to see them on tour again. No KK anymore though.... :sorry:

They are on tour right now. In fact I am seeing them Sunday night, with Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society. I also just saw Saxon a couple weeks ago, another gret band for heavy and melodic.

I will have to check out there tour dates then and see if they are coming around Maine/Mass. I guess they are not in the studio then. :headbang:

Only date I see for Maine/Mass area is:

20 November Paul E Tsongas Arena/Lowell, MA

They are on tour right now. In fact I am seeing them Sunday night, with Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society.

Yep, and I'm seeing them on Thursday. I know it will be good. Unlike a lot of singers from that era, Halford still has it. Also going to see Chickenfoot the next week in a club, just because it's general admission and I can get very close. Have never seen Satriani before, even though I live in his hometown.

I saw Chickenfoot last year. They only did Chickenfoot songs. No VH, no Sammy solo stuff, no Satriani, and no RHCP. Great show. They seemed to have a really good time playing together. The sound check was a lot of fun to watch, as they all goofed around a bit and made fun of Sammy. The encore song they did was Rock and Roll, by Zeppelin. They had Jason Bonham come out and play drums. That was the only non-Chickenfoot song they did. I highly recommend seeing this band. Well worth the money.