• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

No offense to Duane Allman, but anyone that puts him ahead of Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen in best guitar player poll doesn't know what they are talking about.

That Rolling Stone list (not a poll) from 2003 is a silly list with Kurt Cobain #12 (just below Kirk Hammett), and George Harrison at #21 (beating out Steve Howe #69).

John Fogerty (#40) is ranked higher than Frank Zappa (#45) and Ritchie Blakmore (#55).

Puh-leeze!

That list is a joke.

A year later Guitar World Magazine, who are much more qualified to rank guitarists, put out their list of the top 100 guitar players.

Randy, Eddie, and Jimmy ranked 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Duane Allman didn't make it.

It's all subjective, but the guitar player polls and lists' I've read over the year's have always ranked those three very high and Duane Allman... not so much.

It's clear you don't like Eddie, that's fine, it's your opinion, but to make it sound as if he's not respected or considered one of the top guitarists EVER is just silly.

It makes a lot more sense to compare artists from similar genres.

It's impossible to compare someone like Randy to someone like Allman, etc.

At the Reed New York show I was at my booth giving a customer some prices on books he was interested in.

Doug Schmell of Pedigreecomics.com sees my customer, comes over and hands him and I a sale sheet of books he has for sale.

This is while I am speaking to my customer giving him prices.

My customer looks at the list and tells Doug the only book he would be interested in would be the Strange Tales #105 9.4.

Doug then reaches into his briefcase and places the book on top of my boxes for my customer to check out.

He looks at the book while I'm still trying to give him all of my best prices on the books he's interested in.

My customer tells me and Doug that he is waiting for a call from his secretary.

My customer leaves.

Doug is still in front of my booth.

I tell Doug and I quote "Don't ever do ing business at my booth again"

Doug seems a little surprised. He quickly gives me a "I'm sorry".

I then ask him if he would like to give me $100 for doing business at my booth.

He proceeds to tell me that he doesn't have to give me $100. I remind him that I paid to setup at the show.

I could tell that Doug doesn't really feel he did something wroing so I told him that if he thought what he did was ok he should walk around the show and ask other dealers. I told him that somebody else might have punched him in the face. He basically told me that probably wouldn't have happened.

He then states that this has nothing to do with my customer, that I'm still pissed off that he got first look at the Greg Reece collection.

I state again that this has nothing to do with the Greg Reece books and to not do business at my booth ever again. He comes back with "I said I'm sorry" and that he was leaving soon and might have missed dealing with the guy. I told him I didn't care what his time schedule was and that if he had business to do with the buy it was in the aisle or somewhere else.

Doug's last comment to me which basically states that he doesn't give a rats about anything I just said was "Was there anything on the list you were interested in".

I told him to take the list and shove it.

If any new sellers aren't clear about this rule let me state it again.

Don't ever do your selling business at a dealers booth.

I know I'm late to the party and this thread now appears to be about guitarists but . . . why does this not surprise me in the least? :grin:

I agree completely.

Despite that I still feel that saying Duane Allman is the second greatest guitar player of all time is just plain silly.

I agree completely.

Despite that I still feel that saying Duane Allman is the second greatest guitar player of all time is just plain silly.

I have a songwriter/guitar player up the road from me. He was recommended to me by a drummer who plays for Saga and Helix (a couple of now lesser known Canadian bands).

The guy told me that country music is much deeper and much more difficult from a songwriting/playing point of view than he ever imagined. He's immersing himself in it and he has found it quite challenging.

I find that hard to believe but I'm taking his word for it.

I will not contribute.....I will not contribute....I will not contribute.....

Sigh....I feel better.

FOO FIGHTERS! PAUL MCARTNEY!

Sobriety sucks, don't it?

lol

I'm not downplaying country. I'm not downplaying slide guitar. I'm not even downplaying Gregg Allman, who was greatly talented and highly respected.

He's just NOT second only to Hendrix as the greatest guitar player of all time. Not even close.

And I'm not downplaying Saga either, as I always thought 'On the Loose' was a cool song. (thumbs u

I will not contribute.....I will not contribute....I will not contribute.....

Sigh....I feel better.

FOO FIGHTERS! PAUL MCARTNEY!

Sobriety sucks, don't it?

lol

Foo Fighters kick ! But they weren't 80's.

And Paul....well....he put out some good cd's in the 80's (McCartney II, Press To Play) but he was smoking way too much weed in that decade.

But Roy.....being a big-time dealer now as you are, I am wondering if you're coming to Planet Comicon in March. Talk to Dale, he has been here several times and taken lots of my money!

If you need a place to stay, I have a nice basement for you!

http://www.planetcomicon.com/

PS: Sobriety? WTF is that?

At the moment I am making some NE clam chowder for a party tomorrow!

And rockin to Elvis Costello's Armed Forces!

Can I post some more crappy 80's videos YET???

Yes. Please. Ebony and Ivorrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I post some more crappy 80's videos YET???

Yes. Please. Ebony and Ivorrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's too easy. I have only been posting the crappy ones that I still have the album or really, really liked.