• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article on Investing in Comic Books

101 posts in this topic

hi guy

thanks for the comment. My superman 1 is the metro copy CGC 0,5 UNRESTORE. Bad shape but blue label, i prefer a bad blue label than a nice eyes appeal purple label héhéh

I had a big magic collection :

All the power nine in alpha and beta.. many dual land and 1 in Beta, anyway i had all the big card of the game in perfect condition and in the rarest edition ! I sold my collection to a local store owned by one of my friend !

With all these cards, the price of the lot is high

alpha black lotus = 3000

5 mox alpha beta = 4200

big blue alpha beta ( ancestral, time walk and twister ) = 2400

4 mana drain legends = 450

time vault alpha = 800

underground sea beta = 1200

It is only my BIG card ! I had a lot of other stuff alpha beta.... so it is why i sell it for big money

iIf you want the price guide for mtg card just go to the www.starcitygames.com it is the reference in the hobby.

In kind of rarity and investment, i prefer a Superman 1 than a lot of beautifull mtg cards ! And i dream since many years to own a superman 1 copy.

hi guy

thanks for the comment. My superman 1 is the metro copy CGC 0,5 UNRESTORE. Bad shape but blue label, i prefer a bad blue label than a nice eyes appeal purple label héhéh

I had a big magic collection :

All the power nine in alpha and beta.. many dual land and 1 in Beta, anyway i had all the big card of the game in perfect condition and in the rarest edition ! I sold my collection to a local store owned by one of my friend !

With all these cards, the price of the lot is high

alpha black lotus = 3000

5 mox alpha beta = 4200

big blue alpha beta ( ancestral, time walk and twister ) = 2400

4 mana drain legends = 450

time vault alpha = 800

underground sea beta = 1200

It is only my BIG card ! I had a lot of other stuff alpha beta.... so it is why i sell it for big money

iIf you want the price guide for mtg card just go to the www.starcitygames.com it is the reference in the hobby.

In kind of rarity and investment, i prefer a Superman 1 than a lot of beautifull mtg cards ! And i dream since many years to own a superman 1 copy.

Well I will eat my piece of humble pie. :blush: call me impressed!

you can use one of the big-boys in the Magic space - Starcitygames.com, ChannelFireball.com or TrollandToad.com, but I'm not sure you'll get a realistic pricing feel this way

Try something like TCGPlayer, it's more of an aggregate pricing site, you can get a feel for high to low pricing for cards

You have to hand it to the "Magic-ians"...they made this game, and they have sustained it since the early '90s. I used to play...alot, and I still have all my cards. They're all in pristine shape, as I played "safe Magic", and used card condoms. I think now, at 49, it might be time to trim, and who would object to a little trim, down the collection and sell the Magic, the non-sport chase, the sports cards, and some of the action figures. We'll see though...hoarding is a hard habit to kick. :)

you can use one of the big-boys in the Magic space - Starcitygames.com, ChannelFireball.com or TrollandToad.com, but I'm not sure you'll get a realistic pricing feel this way

Try something like TCGPlayer, it's more of an aggregate pricing site, you can get a feel for high to low pricing for cards

Thanks! Bit of a learning curve to climb but there does appear to be quite a bit of dealer potential here.

there are two mindsets when it comes to Magic grading

- one type of buyer of cards is the active player... Most cards are still usable in the game, but this can be dependant upon the format a player plays. For example, Vintage format allows decks that include the oldest, most powerful cards (like Black Lotus), So even the highest priced cards are still usable and are actively played at tournaments. If you are this type of player, then graded cards are not viable as they cannot be used in the official tournaments (Grand Prix, Pro Tour,, etc..) if they are in their grading case.

- the other buyer is the pure collector, similar to folks here on CGC boards, looking for the cards not for playing, but just for collecting. These are the folks that take advantage of grading. Usually, this is done for only the high end cards - Alpha/Beta, the best of Antiquities, Arabian Nights, etc.., rare foils, misprints (like the Summer Magic cards), etc.. for example graded cards

there are two mindsets when it comes to Magic grading

- one type of buyer of cards is the active player... Most cards are still usable in the game, but this can be dependant upon the format a player plays. For example, Vintage format allows decks that include the oldest, most powerful cards (like Black Lotus), So even the highest priced cards are still usable and are actively played at tournaments. If you are this type of player, then graded cards are not viable as they cannot be used in the official tournaments (Grand Prix, Pro Tour,, etc..) if they are in their grading case.

- the other buyer is the pure collector, similar to folks here on CGC boards, looking for the cards not for playing, but just for collecting. These are the folks that take advantage of grading. Usually, this is done for only the high end cards - Alpha/Beta, the best of Antiquities, Arabian Nights, etc.., rare foils, misprints (like the Summer Magic cards), etc.. for example graded cards

Thanks. This is what I was after. I think it would be fun to grade some cards. The site you linked claims to be the authority. Do you know if The card side of CGC grades them and is recognized among the collectors?

Thanks. This is what I was after. I think it would be fun to grade some cards. The site you linked claims to be the authority. Do you know if The card side of CGC grades them and is recognized among the collectors?

(shrug) I didn't know CGC had a card grading group, I was thinking they only did coins/paper money, comics and now magazines... I'll have to look into this.

Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) and Beckett Grading (BGS) are both used regularly by graded collectors...