• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article on Investing in Comic Books

101 posts in this topic

Speculate by nostalgia: For those on a tight budget, Barry Sandoval, the director of operations at Heritage, recommends forecasting what today's youth will be nostalgic for when they turn 40. Case in point for this generation of 40-somethings: A near-mint 1984-hatched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 fetched $22,752 at an auction in June.

This is the Rule of 25. Which has ALWAYS held. ALWAYS.

Speculate by nostalgia: For those on a tight budget, Barry Sandoval, the director of operations at Heritage, recommends forecasting what today's youth will be nostalgic for when they turn 40. Case in point for this generation of 40-somethings: A near-mint 1984-hatched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 fetched $22,752 at an auction in June.

Sure. But a counterpoint if I may. If one believes in that rule, why T.F. are they investing in comics. This is pretty much the last generation of 40 somethings that really gives a spoon about comics...

If I really wanted to apply the rule of 25 to the group that will be 40 in 10 years... I'd be investing in other things that appeal to that age group's heartstrings.

Sure. But a counterpoint if I may. If one believes in that rule, why T.F. are they investing in comics. This is pretty much the last generation of 40 somethings that really gives a spoon about comics...

If I really wanted to apply the rule of 25 I'd be investing in other things that appeal to that age group's heartstrings.

Oh, agree 100%. You should be buying what was hot in 1991 RIGHT NOW.

Not pogs.

But I can tell you I've sold some of the mint/sealed video games (dating from 1985 to about 1998) bought 5-9 years ago for as much as 10, 20, 30 x what I paid. A lot of those were four figure prices and one was into the five figures.

I'm sure there are other examples in other collectings areas from that time period.

I'm sure there are other examples in other collectings areas from that time period.

Magic the Gathering cards, circa '93-'94 (first year). This would include Limited Edition release (better known as Alpha & Beta), Unlimited (same as Alpha/Beta with white borders), plus the earliest expansions - Arabian Knights, Antiquities & Legends. All very under printed for the demand, there were different rarity levels (further reducing the availability of the best cards), and were mostly heavily played with in the first few years (small numbers remain in vf-nm), This all adds up to strong demand for the classic cards, especially the Power Nine: Black Lotus, the 5 Moxen, Ancestral Recall, Timetwister, Time Walk, and even the Dual lands... Prices are up over $1k for several cards (5 figures for some Alpha, like a mint Black Lotus).... And with 6 million active players world wide, these cards look to be in demand for many years.

Magic the Gathering cards, circa '93-'94 (first year). This would include Limited Edition release (better known as Alpha & Beta), Unlimited (same as Alpha/Beta with white borders), plus the earliest expansions - Arabian Knights, Antiquities & Legends. All very under printed for the demand, there were different rarity levels (further reducing the availability of the best cards), and were mostly heavily played with in the first few years (small numbers remain in vf-nm), This all adds up to strong demand for the classic cards, especially the Power Nine: Black Lotus, the 5 Moxen, Ancestral Recall, Timetwister, Time Walk, and even the Dual lands... Prices are up over $1k for several cards (5 figures for some Alpha, like a mint Black Lotus).... And with 6 million active players world wide, these cards look to be in demand for many years.

The latest feature I am building out for my LCS's website is completely focused on MTG sales. I guess more than one person is on to this trend!

The latest feature I am building out for my LCS's website is completely focused on MTG sales. I guess more than one person is on to this trend!

well if that's not an excuse to show off my mtg oa I don't know what is

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=749189&GSub=105789

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=744321&GSub=105789

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=736391&GSub=105789

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=763012&GSub=105789

If I really wanted to apply the rule of 25 I'd be investing in other things that appeal to that age group's heartstrings.

Oh, agree 100%. You should be buying what was hot in 1991 RIGHT NOW.

:o

YAY!!!!

MY Deathloks will now be worth $$$$

:whee:

Let's rephrase.

---------------

Oh, agree 100%. You should be buying what was hot in 1991 that was any good and that anyone gives a spoon about and that has some semblance of rarity either absolute or in condition

Let's rephrase.

---------------

Oh, agree 100%. You should be buying what was hot in 1991 that was any good and that anyone gives a spoon about and that has some semblance of rarity either absolute or in condition

Drat.

So, no go on Deathlok....?

Let's rephrase.

---------------

Drat.

So, no go on Deathlok....?

like you don't know the answer to that one ;):)

nope on the beanies.... its too bad, they were actually kind of cute (yes I said it), but the stench of a market crash is an extraordinarily foul odor that is next to impossible to dissipate

I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. You can probably get some of the ones that were uber hot (the camel(?) one maybe) for 1/50th of what they went for 10-15 years ago. If they double again, you're in clover.

I collected the entire (and I mean every single figure, set, etc) World of Springfield figures when they were in the stores. Still in the package. They used to be pretty hot, but then (with the exception of a couple) they crashed hard.

Still, that was end of 90's beginning of 2k, so if they ever resurface I suspect it wouldn't be for another 10 to 20 years.

Maybe one day the Simpsons will go off the air? (shrug) That would sure help!