• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savage Dragon

21 posts in this topic

Love Savage Dragon.

It's a really great read, and Erik's really been shaking things up lately. It is, however, kind of tough to just jump in. If you don't feel like searching for back issues be prepared to read a few issues before you can really feel like you know what's going on.

If you want to start with some back issues, Back in Blue is very new-reader friendly, and you can go from there. (Also pick up SD#0... I can't remember if it's been reprinted in TPB form, but that will give you a lot of what you need to know for the recent Emperor Dragon storyline)

I only have one issue and haven't read it at this point. But what really interests me about this series is I read on Wikipedia that Erik Larsen has written and drawn every issue. Thats alot of dedication, and if its something I could get into, it all comes from the same guy. That sounds cool to me. I'd like to get my hands on some earlier issues for a starting point though.

I only have one issue and haven't read it at this point. But what really interests me about this series is I read on Wikipedia that Erik Larsen has written and drawn every issue. Thats alot of dedication, and if its something I could get into, it all comes from the same guy. That sounds cool to me. I'd like to get my hands on some earlier issues for a starting point though.

That's actually really cool - shows a real passion for the character and the topic. I bet I haven't read an issue since around the 20s.

That's actually really cool - shows a real passion for the character and the topic. I bet I haven't read an issue since around the 20s.

I was out of comics completely for like 5 years or so... SD #114 is what really got me back into it. Awesome cover, jam-packed with extras, and Larsen was still on it. That means a LOT to me when a creator continues to care about his creation for such a long time.

If Todd had that kind of dedication, I'd still be reading Spawn...

(Plus, Erik's been nothing but incredibly gracious the few times I've had the opportunity to meet him)

The Larsen love is out in full force!

It IS amazing that in this day and age he STILL does every issue. That does say a lot.

I think what drove some people away was the opinion's he spoke openly about in his letter column's back in the early days. But he keeps on going, and obviously there are people who still love this comic.

He deserves a :applause:

But what really interests me about this series is I read on Wikipedia that Erik Larsen has written and drawn every issue. Thats alot of dedication, and if its something I could get into, it all comes from the same guy.

That's exactly why I tried to get into the book. Twice. I see how people like it, but it's not for me.

Thanks for the input guys, I just purchased the TPB on ebay for $4 reprinting the limited series. I'll let you know wht I think. I am not working at the moment but when I get back on my feet again I think I will try and put the run together.

But what really interests me about this series is I read on Wikipedia that Erik Larsen has written and drawn every issue. Thats alot of dedication, and if its something I could get into, it all comes from the same guy.

That's exactly why I tried to get into the book. Twice. I see how people like it, but it's not for me.

Too bad you couldn't get into it man. I hope that when I finally give it the chance, it will be something I enjoy. I am very loyal to things if I can get them.

I admire his dedication to his book. How many other writers/artists can claim that dedication or insanity? (Depends on your point of view I guess.)

I admire his dedication to break Dave Sim's record of the longest running creator streak on a book. He's wanted to own that since the beginning.

And I don't mean getting to 300 because of the business success. I'm talking about the record itself.

Remember way back Image did a crossover with the founders taking over each others books for 1 issue? It bugged him even then early on when Jim Lee did the original Savage Dragon #13 issue. So he redid another issue #13 by himself to avoid restarting his streak. lol