• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMIKAZE - LA Convention Center, Nov 5-6, 2011

25 posts in this topic

Came back from the show and thought it was more for anime, artists, and clothing accessories. More media than anything. Only saw about 6 comic book dealers. Lotta people in costumes for sure. Overall, for the price, I had fun

Are you gonna be there tomorrow?

Sorry, won't be able to make it today. I have plans this afternoon. Anyhow, tell me how it goes if you are going

Sad state of affairs,comics were very sparse.There was only one booth that had graded comics to speak of,and all those were the dreaded PGX. :P

Just sucked!

I ended up stopping again at ComiKaze on the way back from the Bakersfield Comic Con. Sadly, there were more quality comic vendors at the Bakersfield show (Terry's Comics, Steve Wyatt/Super-Con, Comic Wise, Comic Collector Shop, Brett's Comic Pile, Dan Fogel/Underground Comix, plus several local area comic and/or game shops) than at ComiKaze. (Plus, the Bakersfield show was packed, great raffle, great guests, definitely worth the drive for me.) Then again, that meant more business for the few comic vendors like Angelo's Comics (and his "dreaded PGX books") that set up at ComiKaze.

From the discussions I had with folks at ComiKaze, there was a dropoff in attendance and shopping on Sunday, but not as severe as some expected. Once again, there was a mix of "Did great" to "Eh, wished for more" in terms of revenue and profits for the comic dealers. I'd say 75-90% of the dealers were for products OTHER than comics. Then again, they packed the room with thousands of people that seemed to enjoy the variety of merchandise available for sale.

For me, the best part of Comikaze was the Neat Stuff Collectibles impromptu "warehouse sale" they had in the back corner. Today, I picked up some more odd trinkets from Marvel's storied past (anyone remember the yearly stock reports that looked like oversize comic books?) along with trades and paperbacks. Anyone watching my eBay id will see some interesting items surface this week or next. :) Some of these items may be saved for Stan's signing next month at the Nuke the Fridge show, but I may try selling them "raw" first.

The second best part for me was George Chase's booth (Hypno-Comics) with great modern books at great prices. Oh, and the quick Jhonen Vasquez sketch I got yesterday... :) As I said on Facebook... "3 shows in 2 days. My car is heavier and my wallet is lighter."

I only went late Saturday to hook up with Nei to get some sigs done but man I was shocked when I saw the amount of people in the hall at 3 PM.

First year show, poor website, poor advertising, poor list of exhibitors and vendors but the hall was pretty crowded - much more than Long Beach Comic Con the week before.

There were only a few booths actually selling comics. And I couldn't really tell what people were buying if anything. But I saw Joe Benitez, Mike Mayhew, & Mike McKone sketching as well as others,

And Angie Everhardt - I still love you even though the child isn't mine. :luhv:

lol

I was really disapointed with this con. Aside from finally getting to meet Stan, the con was terribly unorganized, I didn't care for the layout, the one panel I went to had technical dificulties, and there were virtually no comic dealers.

The only comic dealers, other than the trade dealers, had nothing but overpriced junk. I was looking for some SA spideys, and X-Men, and found nothing.

Still though getting to meet Stan for my first time made it all worth it, and I got a sweet book with much thanks to Desert Wind Comics.

Came back from the show and thought it was more for anime, artists, and clothing accessories. More media than anything. Only saw about 6 comic book dealers. Lotta people in costumes for sure. Overall, for the price, I had fun

Are you gonna be there tomorrow?

Sorry, won't be able to make it today. I have plans this afternoon. Anyhow, tell me how it goes if you are going

Sad state of affairs,comics were very sparse.There was only one booth that had graded comics to speak of,and all those were the dreaded PGX. :P

Just sucked!

That booth was so disapointing. Just seemed like somone trying to make a quick buck. Prices were ridiculous, especially without knowing whether those books had resto.