• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kyle Rayner 1st full appearance?

21 posts in this topic

After reading the Green Lantern Guardians #1, I had an interest in the first appearance of Kyle Rayner. Looking up back issues, I read his first appearance was Green Lantern Vol 3 #48. Someone was selling the book for $60. Before purchasing the book, I want to make sure he was really in the book. Looking through a raw issue he only appears on the last page of the book. His next appearance isn't until 50. Should CGC put cameo on 48 and first full appearance in 50?

Rayner's first full appearance is #51.

He only appears in the last 3 pages of #50.

But were they a MANLY 3 pages?

actually #51 was his first apperance as a GL (in full custume)

I think #48 was when they showed him and Alex (his girlfriend) looking up on the midnight sky and saw a shooting star (which was Hal Jordan flying)

and #50 was when Gauntlet (1 of the Guardians) offering him a GL ring

Not true.

Last page of GL #50:

IMG_4168.jpg

Issue #51 is the debut of the new GL costume.

I think #48 was when they showed him and Alex (his girlfriend) looking up on the midnight sky and saw a shooting star (which was Hal Jordan flying)

It's Ganthet, and as stated, issue #51 is Kyle Rayner's first full appearance. He appears on the last page of #48, and the last 3 pages of #50, both cameo appearances.

It's all Wolverine's fault. lol

I think you should consider #48 Kyle Rayner's 1st appearance. He is in the book, and from Faster Friends post, CGC puts 1st appearance of Kyle Rayner on the label. (thumbs u

I wouldn’t get caught up in the cameo vs. 1st FULL appearance stuff. 2c

RMA's correct about the appearances, but people frequently debate the difference between what's a cameo vs. what's a 1st FULL appearance. Is one page a cameo? Are 3 pages still a cameo? (shrug)

Of course, the easiest solution is just buy all the issues in question. lol

I think you should consider #48 Kyle Rayner's 1st appearance. He is in the book, and from Faster Friends post, CGC puts 1st appearance of Kyle Rayner on the label. (thumbs u

I wouldnt get caught up in the cameo vs. 1st FULL appearance stuff. 2c

RMA's correct about the appearances, but people frequently debate the difference between what's a cameo vs. what's a 1st FULL appearance. Is one page a cameo?

Yes.

Are 3 pages still a cameo? (shrug)

When the character only appears as the epilogue of a "double sized" story that has nothing to do with them, and only in 11 panels, that's pretty much the definition of "cameo." If he's not the focus of the story and only appears on a few pages, it's a cameo.

Omega Men #3, on the other hand, has been called a "cameo" for decades, which is ludicrous...Lobo's the central figure of the cover, for crying out loud, and he plays a significant part of the story. That is NOT a "cameo" appearance.

But none of this stuff should matter. GL #48 is important in its own right, as part 1 of Emerald Twilight, which has set the direction of Green Lantern for nearly 2 decades. That makes it a "major" key in the series, regardless of Rayner's cameo. Should people value it MORE because it's Rayner's "1st app"? No, not at all. That should matter for issue #51. But #48, 50, and 51 are, and should be considered, equally important "keys" in the set.

The only reason any of this matters is because of the pressure past generations have put on the market with regards to "cameos" and "full apps." Otherwise, it's pointless.

Don't blame Wolvie. Blame the Spectre.

It is absolutely absurd that More Fun #51 should have ANY value over #50, #49, etc, but, because the character appears within the panel borders of a story page (and not just a house ad), VOILA! The book's worth 3-4 times as much. One small panel after the END of the story, and you've got people spending the big money for it.

That is the direct result of pressure by someone...whether Bob Overstreet himself, or the market...in the late 70's to break the book out. In OPG #6, nothing, by OPG #8..broken out.

At least Wolvie appears within the context of the story.

I wouldnt get caught up in the cameo vs. 1st FULL appearance stuff. 2c

RMA's correct about the appearances, but people frequently debate the difference between what's a cameo vs. what's a 1st FULL appearance. Is one page a cameo?

Yes.

Are 3 pages still a cameo? (shrug)

When the character only appears as the epilogue of a "double sized" story that has nothing to do with them, and only in 11 panels, that's pretty much the definition of "cameo." If he's not the focus of the story and only appears on a few pages, it's a cameo.

Sure. It's a cameo by definition. But as a collector, if a new character appears for the very 1st time in a comic and is on 3 pages, 11 panels, that is going to be the key book I want to buy. Regardless if it's in the epilogue, since it's probaly important to the overall story. Another comic getting the official 1st FULL appearance would seem silly to me. 2c

Omega Men #3, on the other hand, has been called a "cameo" for decades, which is ludicrous...Lobo's the central figure of the cover, for crying out loud, and he plays a significant part of the story. That is NOT a "cameo" appearance.

But none of this stuff should matter. GL #48 is important in its own right, as part 1 of Emerald Twilight, which has set the direction of Green Lantern for nearly 2 decades. That makes it a "major" key in the series, regardless of Rayner's cameo. Should people value it MORE because it's Rayner's "1st app"? No, not at all. That should matter for issue #51. But #48, 50, and 51 are, and should be considered, equally important "keys" in the set.

The only reason any of this matters is because of the pressure past generations have put on the market with regards to "cameos" and "full apps." Otherwise, it's pointless.

Don't blame Wolvie. Blame the Spectre.

It is absolutely absurd that More Fun #51 should have ANY value over #50, #49, etc, but, because the character appears within the panel borders of a story page (and not just a house ad), VOILA! The book's worth 3-4 times as much. One small panel after the END of the story, and you've got people spending the big money for it.

That is the direct result of pressure by someone...whether Bob Overstreet himself, or the market...in the late 70's to break the book out. In OPG #6, nothing, by OPG #8..broken out.

At least Wolvie appears within the context of the story.

I completely agree with everything else. (thumbs u

Not true.

Last page of GL #50:

IMG_4168.jpg

Issue #51 is the debut of the new GL costume.

It's Ganthet, and as stated, issue #51 is Kyle Rayner's first full appearance. He appears on the last page of #48, and the last 3 pages of #50, both cameo appearances.

ok gotto admit, it was atleast 15-20 yrs ago since i read Emerald Twilight. But hey, atleast I still remember some high lights.....

I also remember how some folks were pissed off that they were "killing off" Hal Jordan....... well if the internet was around back then, it would have broke in-half :ohnoez:

Sure. It's a cameo by definition. But as a collector, if a new character appears for the very 1st time in a comic and is on 3 pages, 11 panels, that is going to be the key book I want to buy. Regardless if it's in the epilogue, since it's probaly important to the overall story. Another comic getting the official 1st FULL appearance would seem silly to me. 2c

Sure, there's nothing wrong with that. A first appearance is a first appearance, whether it's a one panel appearance, like Wolvie, or the main thrust of the story.

It's still, by definition, a first appearance.

But the market has decided that the first FULL appearance carries more weight, which is why Hulk #181 is many times more expensive than #180.

Don't blame me for that...blame the market. I just report what is.

I don't believe that the internet was around in the early 90's (January 1994) ... ok maybe with like a DOS application, and maybe e-mails were, and maybe only available to a select few .....

but not like we have right now..... i think the internet was still in it's "baby" stage

I don't believe that the internet was around in the early 90's (January 1994) ... ok maybe with like a DOS application, and maybe e-mails were, and maybe only available to a select few .....

but not like we have right now..... i think the internet was still in it's "baby" stage

America Online was launched in 1992. Usenet was all the rage. It was definitely young, but not that young.