• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Exactly. You've got to ask yourself; is this a series that people (or you) will remember/care about in 15-20 years? Otherwise, it'll probly slip through the cracks and right into the dollar bin.

IMO, I think that Walking Dead will stand the test of time (obviously) but I don't know as much can be said about Saga. I feel like Saga is a very "now" book, as in it's relevant because of the world we live in and how we perceive it.

Manhattan Projects is a bit too "out there" to catch on main stream IMO. Morning Glories will be highly dependent on how it ends. Because a lot of people hate reading that type of story on a monthly basis. EoW might be too violent? 6th gun is a period piece so that has a shot, since it takes place in the past, people in the future will relate to it in a similar fashion as we do.

In the end, it's also what gets picked up for TV / Movies. I remember TMNT and the Tick very fondly because of their cartoons.

So, maybe the early leader for long term might be Mind MGMT? Esp if Ridley Scott makes a great movie.

-Walking Dead, for sure, obviously

-Saga, why is it relevant because of the world we live in? (not sure what you mean).

Y lasted though, and I think that was a much more interesting story. I find it reads almost like a TV show, in deliberate, serialized parts (feels more so than most comics). It's put together well, and interesting enough without being way our there, or hard to grasp like some of the other Sci-Fi titles.

-Manhattan Projects, si to that. I mean, I'm a science guy, so I can see why I'd gravitate towards it, but I mean, I like it but don't think it's amazing. I can't see why others have raved about it though. Like you said, I thought it was too out there as well to catch on (I think Prophet wins the OUT THERE title though).

-Morning Glories, man, it has gotten so hard to keep up with characters/plots/events that have happened. It really doesn't help that the way the characters are drawn makes them all look VERY similar. I agree that the ending will set the bar for it being "yeh" or "nay".

-East of West I think will be in. Has a Japanimation type feel to it, in art and story, and I think it's just too well put together to not last. It is early though, but I think Hickers probably has a good plot set out for it.

-Revival, depending on what the cause is/what the ghosties end up being, I think this one has legs, as it is accessible, easy to read and follow, but has enough intersting elements to catch on.

-Elephantmen, yes, I always mention this, but this is the slow burn that will eventually pick up if/when the movie hits. With 51 issues under its belt, it's still going strong.

-Mind MGMT, again, hard to say why this has so much love, as it is like Manhattan projects. I love it a lot, but can't see a wide audience flocking to it.

Mind MGMT - I think you may be right about it being a bit too far out there as well. It's prob my own personal bias, and I tend to like "out there" comics (my favorite of all time next to Sandman is The Invisibles, which is about as out there as it gets)

Morning Glories - I do agree the art will hurt the comic long term. I find it pretty hard to keep track of the cast. Esp when they are swapping looks and traveling in time. I just look at it as a property that could be used for other mediums and catch on. When I explain it to people, it's Saved by the Bell meets Lost..

Prophet - Totally awesome comic, it's out there, and telling a cool story. But way too strange for main stream appeal.

Saga is very much set in the now plot wise. I look at a lot of the plot points and it correlates directly to current events / america now. The whole way that wars are being fought by proxy armies, while the people sit at home and watch to name one. I just see a comic full of social issues that are very relevant today, and I don't know if that will translate well in 5 or 10 years. It's a very political comic IMO.

Y is much more about the human condition.

I have not read Revival or Elephantmen, I'd like to give them a spin, but as it is I prob have a stack of 50 or so comics on my night stand waiting to be read.

But stepping back from all this, the TMNT that hit the main stream and became huge are much different than the TMNT that were written by Eastman and Laird in the B&W comics as well.

Exactly. You've got to ask yourself; is this a series that people (or you) will remember/care about in 15-20 years? Otherwise, it'll probly slip through the cracks and right into the dollar bin.

IMO, I think that Walking Dead will stand the test of time (obviously) but I don't know as much can be said about Saga. I feel like Saga is a very "now" book, as in it's relevant because of the world we live in and how we perceive it.

Manhattan Projects is a bit too "out there" to catch on main stream IMO. Morning Glories will be highly dependent on how it ends. Because a lot of people hate reading that type of story on a monthly basis. EoW might be too violent? 6th gun is a period piece so that has a shot, since it takes place in the past, people in the future will relate to it in a similar fashion as we do.

In the end, it's also what gets picked up for TV / Movies. I remember TMNT and the Tick very fondly because of their cartoons.

So, maybe the early leader for long term might be Mind MGMT? Esp if Ridley Scott makes a great movie.

-Walking Dead, for sure, obviously

-Saga, why is it relevant because of the world we live in? (not sure what you mean).

Y lasted though, and I think that was a much more interesting story. I find it reads almost like a TV show, in deliberate, serialized parts (feels more so than most comics). It's put together well, and interesting enough without being way our there, or hard to grasp like some of the other Sci-Fi titles.

-Manhattan Projects, si to that. I mean, I'm a science guy, so I can see why I'd gravitate towards it, but I mean, I like it but don't think it's amazing. I can't see why others have raved about it though. Like you said, I thought it was too out there as well to catch on (I think Prophet wins the OUT THERE title though).

-Morning Glories, man, it has gotten so hard to keep up with characters/plots/events that have happened. It really doesn't help that the way the characters are drawn makes them all look VERY similar. I agree that the ending will set the bar for it being "yeh" or "nay".

-East of West I think will be in. Has a Japanimation type feel to it, in art and story, and I think it's just too well put together to not last. It is early though, but I think Hickers probably has a good plot set out for it.

-Revival, depending on what the cause is/what the ghosties end up being, I think this one has legs, as it is accessible, easy to read and follow, but has enough intersting elements to catch on.

-Elephantmen, yes, I always mention this, but this is the slow burn that will eventually pick up if/when the movie hits. With 51 issues under its belt, it's still going strong.

-Mind MGMT, again, hard to say why this has so much love, as it is like Manhattan projects. I love it a lot, but can't see a wide audience flocking to it.

Mind MGMT - I think you may be right about it being a bit too far out there as well. It's prob my own personal bias, and I tend to like "out there" comics (my favorite of all time next to Sandman is The Invisibles, which is about as out there as it gets)

Morning Glories - I do agree the art will hurt the comic long term. I find it pretty hard to keep track of the cast. Esp when they are swapping looks and traveling in time. I just look at it as a property that could be used for other mediums and catch on. When I explain it to people, it's Saved by the Bell meets Lost..

Prophet - Totally awesome comic, it's out there, and telling a cool story. But way too strange for main stream appeal.

Saga is very much set in the now plot wise. I look at a lot of the plot points and it correlates directly to current events / america now. The whole way that wars are being fought by proxy armies, while the people sit at home and watch to name one. I just see a comic full of social issues that are very relevant today, and I don't know if that will translate well in 5 or 10 years. It's a very political comic IMO.

Y is much more about the human condition.

I have not read Revival or Elephantmen, I'd like to give them a spin, but as it is I prob have a stack of 50 or so comics on my night stand waiting to be read.

But stepping back from all this, the TMNT that hit the main stream and became huge are much different than the TMNT that were written by Eastman and Laird in the B&W comics as well.

That's it??? haha

I'm so behind in my reading, it's not even funny. Must have like a good 500 or more comics that I need to read.

Richard Starkings is very good with putting out the trades for Elephantmen. If you every get the chance to go to a convention that he's at, or that they have a booth at, you can usually get them at a ridiculously low price, like 4 for $30 or something like that.

I really like the latest issue of batman zero year. The riddler story is gonna be fun

It is the best modern book right now. If/when Snyder leaves the next writer will have their hands full trying to match it.

I really like the latest issue of batman zero year. The riddler story is gonna be fun

It is the best modern book right now. If/when Snyder leaves the next writer will have their hands full trying to match it.

I've always enjoyed reading batman no matter who the writer or artist is. But Snyder has taken batman to a whole new level of entertainment.

Sadly MP was killed by the dullness of the covers, not lending new people to pick up the book and give it a look.

It's not dead yet. Sales are very consistent in the 17-18k range.

Glad to hear it, as i read it monthly and enjoy it.

I agree. MP is fantastic and has a cult following. Not everything has to be walking dead exposed.

Valiant comes to mind. Not the biggest sellers but the Fans are RABID and the books are awesome.

Annoys me this "stand the test of time" talk. Nobody could have predicted a massive zombie takeover of popular culture. No one would have expected Chew to be successful and I'm guessing there will be a few more surprises along the way in terms of books becoming successful.

Annoys me this "stand the test of time" talk. Nobody could have predicted a massive zombie takeover of popular culture. No one would have expected Chew to be successful and I'm guessing there will be a few more surprises along the way in terms of books becoming successful.

Somewhere on youtube as this is posted Alan Moore is about to make a rant about it. lol

2012 books > 2013 books for image and money making

i dont think 2014 will be much better. cats outta the bag fellas

For the month it lasted, the DC 3D covers were a great gold mine. lol

I walked into a Hastings book store today and they still have a few DC 3D cover books on the shelf for cover price. Just proves your point on how quickly they died....

All books are always cover price at Hastings. They did die, but a book just being cover at Hastings has nothing to do with it. Hastings just doesn't know/care about their comic book section.

That's the reason I ended up with 20 copies of Sixth Gun at the height of it's value.

I walked into a Hastings book store today and they still have a few DC 3D cover books on the shelf for cover price. Just proves your point on how quickly they died....

All books are always cover price at Hastings. They did die, but a book just being cover at Hastings has nothing to do with it. Hastings just doesn't know/care about their comic book section.

That's the reason I ended up with 20 copies of Sixth Gun at the height of it's value.

+1 on the Sixth Gun selection at Hastings. I'd bet there are still copies of #1 at some locations that missed the bubble completely. My brother and I easily moved through 20 copies as well.

+1 on the Sixth Gun selection at Hastings. I'd bet there are still copies of #1 at some locations that missed the bubble completely. My brother and I easily moved through 20 copies as well.

And I just found out about the Hastings store chain about a month ago through a Facebook page. They don't have any stores in Illinois (where I moved here from). And my point was that there are still DC 3D cover books on their new release rack.

And I just found out about the Hastings store chain about a month ago through a Facebook page. They don't have any stores in Illinois (where I moved here from). And my point was that there are still DC 3D cover books on their new release rack.

They still had some last week at the LCSs here in town as well, but it great fun flipping them while it lasted. (thumbs u

What the hell is Hastings?

Here in Canada, it's a street where 30% of the population has HIV.

I can see why nobody expects to buy comics there.

Look up Hastings Entertainment on your search engine. It's a chain of stores mainly concentrated in the Southwest and West areas in the USA. They sell a variety of stuff but seem to mainly concentrate on new and used books, comic books, movies and music.