• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

I was doing it quite a bit in 2012-2013, but not trying to guess which titles would be hot, mainly playing arbitrage and finding the stores that still had hot issues on the rack for cover or less.

The arbitrage thing is huge, for the simple fact that most stores don't keep up as fast as you guys at the boards do. Especially when the people at the stores aren't even aware of a title, let alone it's value.

(I asked some place if they had ANY issues of Manifest Destiny (as in any number), they where like "What's that?". A lot of stores don't even really follow what's being put out, let alone the pricing trends.)

The business of most comic book stores GENERALLY is to sell new comics, that's the bread and butter, and hopefully to subscribers at that. Any other sales including merchandise and sale of premium back issues (modern OR older) are generally just gravy on top it. EVEN in a situation where there is a significant stock of older comics, the local market for those comics will be limited by geography unless you happen to me in a MAJOR metropolitan market, which in the US is pretty much New York, maybe Chicago, OR you have a store so big that you buy from everywhere and people come to find you from miles or states away (think Milehigh or Lonestar).

So any time spent following newish trends on moderns and coppers, while potentially valuable, may not always be worth the time of the store manager or owner to recognize the trend, assess a new price, find the item, and reprice it in most cases. And even if they do it, sometimes it turns off potential customers. Like if I like to go hunting for cover price 'deals' of moderns, I might also go pick up some other random stuff when I go. But if that place marks up valuable back issues, I'm not going to go hunting at that store, maybe another one that's a little slower in marking up the inventory.

Totally agree.

Personally, I LOVE it when stores don't follow the trends, really RESPECT those stores who do follow the trends/keep an eye on them from time to time, but are reasonable and keep the prices 50-75% of the possible value, and HATE the stores that gouge/horde/never lower prices/have sales, and generally think that they should price their comics at the highest realized price no matter what (even if that price was a blip, and the actual price is now much lower and there's no demand for the comic).

Regarding the time to research and price thing, as Socktopi and other have mentioned, apparently some stores wait for their customers to do that for them. :grin:

What's the point grading a book that's importance hasn't even been established. 4 seems about right to hit the 'early-bird buyers', but until we, as readers actually know what Kirkman has planned for the new characters in TWD #127, then it's all academic.

But until #127 establishes itself - it's not worth anything. For all we know, Magna dies next week, and the young Asian girl becomes the "big" character to come from the issue.

It's certainly a book that should do well - but not for a couple of years.

2c

Regardless if any of these characters are important, stick around, etc., the comic is still key simply for the fact that it starts the second major phase of the story, is a watershed moment/issue, THE jumping on point for new readers, etc etc etc.

This comic is an instant key.

Definitely not $150-$225 key though. :o :o :o

As you mentioned, with a generous supply and the full scope of characters/plot not realized, this shouldn't be skyrocketing just yet.

PS. Would this be considered a "New Image Now! All-New Image All-Now!! All-Image" for The Walking Dead???

Can we get the Midtown update where people have to walk around stacks of unsold Outcast.

Are you kidding ?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=321440212134&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

..and 10 copies went for $65

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTCAST-1-Robert-Kirkman-Walking-Dead-2014-10-copies-all-NM-9-8-lot-set-run-/281363078341?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item41828bdcc5

It appears there may be a shortage...

:roflmao:

It's not a shortage, it's a bottleneck, just wait until the bottleneck clears. :juggle:

haha ! No doubt. I was really hoping for a 3peat to with TWD and Invincible. So far, the jury is out as I've heard from people who love and hate it. I'm hoping I fall into at least " I kind of like it " category. :wishluck:

It is fantastic IMO.

How can they be "unsold" when it's still new comic book day?

Most retailers order qty to have in stock for more than a few hours..

If there are piles there when #7 hits...

( assuming trade will collect 1-6 )

Then they're unsold..

Simple really, Lawrence.

If someone has used money to buy the comic book, then it is "Sold". If the comic has yet to be purchased by someone, then it is "Unsold".

There's actually a really good seminar on "The Variable Antagonistic-State Existance of Objects" that I saw a number of years back on the subject.

Whhhewwww...

5 stores

5 copies

its been a looooong day

IMG_4248.jpg

Are these really sold out everywhere? Or just 1-per-customer limits?

So I saw these on Wednesday, and thought I'll come back for it later in the week in NYC.

Came back today to three different shops all sold out.....

Why is this so hot?

Whhhewwww...

5 stores

5 copies

its been a looooong day

IMG_4248.jpg

So I saw these on Wednesday, and thought I'll come back for it later in the week in NYC.

Why is this so hot?

Because the board said it is. :sumo:

Whhhewwww...

5 stores

5 copies

its been a looooong day

IMG_4248.jpg

Why is this so hot?

Well WTF mate lol I cant even get it for a decent price on ebay....

Whhhewwww...

5 stores

5 copies

its been a looooong day

IMG_4248.jpg

No one had them! only 5 stores had one copy on the shelves.. Thats it! And Ive been to about 20 stores.. I know, I need to be stopped!

Whhhewwww...

5 stores

5 copies

its been a looooong day

IMG_4248.jpg

Why is this so hot?

It's a Southern Bastards prototype.

Edited by Solar

Whhhewwww...

5 stores

5 copies

its been a looooong day

IMG_4248.jpg

Why is this so hot?

It's a Southern Bastards prototype.

:roflmao:

Whhhewwww...

5 stores

5 copies

its been a looooong day

IMG_4248.jpg

Why is this so hot?

^^

Whhhewwww...

5 stores

5 copies

its been a looooong day

IMG_4248.jpg

Why is this so hot?

^^

1 copy so far today, a definite 9.8 (aka better than salable condition), hitting the shops in the boonies this afternoon to do some hunting