• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,861 posts in this topic

Collectors who are putting thousands of dollars into brand new variants hoping that one of them will someday be worth a thousand dollars are going to lose. Period.

You can't spend $2,000 hoping that something you bought will be worth $1,000 when the rest are worthless.

There are too many collectors who get really excited by "limited" and just hand over their money.

ANYTHING can be "limited". Many things are "super-limited" right now. What ELSE makes the item desirable?

If the answer is "there's a super-hot female drawn on the cover" ---- well, yeah... so what? There are tons of those. There will be tons more printed next month... and the month after.

If the answer is "it's also the limited edition of the first appearance of a character with a rumor about something" ---- well, yeah... so what?

Should anyone pay $20+ each for the possibility maybe someday a brand new character might be more important than the other new characters introduced before or after?

Go ahead and buy all the rookie cards in sports, too, because one in a thousand will make it to the hall of fame.

When it comes to variants, "limited" just isn't enough... what ELSE?

People should keep their money until they can answer the "else". (thumbs u

You're right, how I choose to spend my money is totally your business. From now on, I'm running all my spending past you.

Why are your thoughts on hydro? I mean, ya, lights and heat are great, but it's not an IH181.... I dunno man... Advice?

I have no idea what Hydro is.

If it's the guy from the 1940s, that's not a new limited variant.

If it's the guy from 1981's ASM #212, that's not a new limited variant.

If it's the guy from Mortal Kombat, that's not a new limited variant.

If it's the villain from Power Rangers, that's not a new limited variant.

If it's a scantily-clad female on a super-limited variant printed in 2015... yeah, I'm probably against you buying that.

If you're selling... well... sell, sell, sell... because that's a worthless comic in the making.

So, what you SHOULD do and what you ACTUALLY do can be two different things.

People SHOULD be smart. Many aren't. You're in good company. (thumbs u

You people are trying to instill LOGIC in the hobby of speculating on comics.

Maybe it's just fun to speculate on stuff

Yes, you're right. This thread has always been where fun meets business. There are those who want to have fun and get caught up in the excitement. There are those who want to make money. There are the lurkers looking to see what the buyers are buying and happily feed the excitement. Personally my business model works regardless of the heat but I like to watch. ;)

Yes, you're right. This thread has always been where fun meets business. There are those who want to have fun and get caught up in the excitement. There are those who want to make money. There are the lurkers looking to see what the buyers are buying and happily feed the excitement. Personally my business model works regardless of the heat but I like to watch. ;)

A voyeur are you? hm

That has always been the problem with investing in something you like. You get carried away and lose track of what is a smart investment and what is just a pretty book. I already expressed my opinion on this many times - I really dont think there is a bubble, I think the "investors" or "flippers" get enticed by the product and lose track of the investment risk. Boba Fett is a classic example of that, yes, Spider Gwen phantom is too. NOTHING IS WRONG WITH BUYING THESE IF YOU WANT THEM. But assuming they will bring profit when they take off at a premium, while the whole world is talking about them BEFORE THEY WERE EVEN PRINTED is a red flag from the investment point of view.

A voyeur are you? hm

143059.jpg

Also, while we're on the topic, what's a bobo fett?

A bobo fett is a generic or knock off Boba Fett. See also Boba Feet

Bahahaha, appearantly my phone auto corrects boba. Cuz bobo is totally a word.

Bobo is a tv star too. Well kinda. lol

0.jpg

(thumbs u

Just take the middle ground, and like Larry says, don't spend your medication or mortgage money.

Collectors who are putting thousands of dollars into brand new variants hoping that one of them will someday be worth a thousand dollars are going to lose. Period.

You can't spend $2,000 hoping that something you bought will be worth $1,000 when the rest are worthless.

There are too many collectors who get really excited by "limited" and just hand over their money.

ANYTHING can be "limited". Many things are "super-limited" right now. What ELSE makes the item desirable?

If the answer is "there's a super-hot female drawn on the cover" ---- well, yeah... so what? There are tons of those. There will be tons more printed next month... and the month after.

If the answer is "it's also the limited edition of the first appearance of a character with a rumor about something" ---- well, yeah... so what?

Should anyone pay $20+ each for the possibility maybe someday a brand new character might be more important than the other new characters introduced before or after?

Go ahead and buy all the rookie cards in sports, too, because one in a thousand will make it to the hall of fame.

You're right, how I choose to spend my money is totally your business. From now on, I'm running all my spending past you.

Why are your thoughts on hydro? I mean, ya, lights and heat are great, but it's not an IH181.... I dunno man... Advice?

If it's a scantily-clad female on a super-limited variant printed in 2015... yeah, I'm probably against you buying that.

If you're selling... well... sell, sell, sell... because that's a worthless comic in the making.

I can't argue with people like you. You see things one way and that's the only way. Yes people buy to resell, but a lot of people buy because they like it. If you make some cash, cool. If you don't, you knew it was a risk when you bought. In the end, they're comic books, and it's a hobby. If it's your business, completely different set of rules. But for most people on here, you SHOULD buy what makes you happy.

Telling people they aren't smart because they don't agree with your point of view is pretty closed minded, inconsiderate and narcissistic.

But you're right, for the most part, I am in good company. :)

When you live through a crash that brought Marvel within a single judge's decision of ceasing publication altogether...you tend to be a little down on the "let's just treat comics like the Franklin Mint/Stock Market!" mentality.

Speculation on new comic books hurts the hobby, hurts collectors, and most importantly, hurts the very creators who make the comics.

"What? How does speculating on new books hurt anybody but the speculators?"

I don't have the time, or desire, to document for the 53rd time the myriad ways that this is true. It is written all over this board, in many places, already, just waiting to be found.

When people are buying new comic books just to "see how much money they can make", and have zero connection to the artform itself, they will, like locusts, do massive damage and, when there's no more money to be made, will move on to the next "hot thing", caring not a damn for the artform or the carnage they've inflicted.

This place has become clogged with such people in the last five years, and to those of you that this applies, I only say this: read a damn book, will you?

:facepalm:

Bobo is a tv star too. Well kinda. lol

0.jpg

If that's the reason, then I'm very disappointed in my phone's dictionary and social interests.

I can't argue with people like you. You see things one way and that's the only way. Yes people buy to resell, but a lot of people buy because they like it. If you make some cash, cool. If you don't, you knew it was a risk when you bought. In the end, they're comic books, and it's a hobby. If it's your business, completely different set of rules. But for most people on here, you SHOULD buy what makes you happy.

Telling people they aren't smart because they don't agree with your point of view is pretty closed minded, inconsiderate and narcissistic.

hm

I guess that depends on what forms that point of view, really.

If one's point of view is based on nothing but feelings and emotions, and is devoid of empirical evidence of any kind...like, say, "Deadpool is the coolest character ever created, and if you don't agree, you're stupid!"...I would agree, that is pretty closed-minded, inconsiderate, and narcissistic.

However...if one's point of view is based on empirical evidence, data, experience, and other such pieces of tangible information, and not on feeling and emotions, then it becomes an informed opinion, and not closed-minded, inconsiderate, or narcissistic at all.

After all...if someone was to run around and think the moon was made of gouda cheese, insist it was so, despite all evidence to the contrary, and MY point of view is that it's composed of rock, minerals, and other material similar to the Earth's composition, would I be closed-minded, inconsiderate, and narcissistic if I dismissed that cheese guy as "not smart"...?

If someone says that people aren't smart because they are doing dumb things, like buying multiple brand new variants in the hopes that they will make money on it, are they being closed-minded? That's not smart. The market is littered, stuffed to the gills, with variants that are worth less than they cost when brand new. For every 1 variant that "hits", 200 have not. There's more than enough empirical evidence to demonstrate that such behavior is "not smart"...it's an informed point of view, based on evidence that cannot be easily dismissed.

So, your charge is probably without merit.

hm

If one's point of view is based on nothing but feelings and emotions, and is devoid of empirical evidence of any kind...like, say, "Deadpool is the coolest character ever created, and if you don't agree, you're stupid!"...I would agree, that is pretty closed-minded, inconsiderate, and narcissistic.

However...if one's point of view is based on empirical evidence, data, experience, and other such pieces of tangible information, and not on feeling and emotions, then it becomes an informed opinion, and not closed-minded, inconsiderate, or narcissistic at all.

After all...if someone was to run around and think the moon was made of gouda cheese, insist it was so, despite all evidence to the contrary, and MY point of view is that it's composed of rock, minerals, and other material similar to the Earth's composition, would I be closed-minded, inconsiderate, and narcissistic if I dismissed that cheese guy as "not smart"...?

If someone says that people aren't smart because they are doing dumb things, like buying multiple brand new variants in the hopes that they will make money on it, are they being closed-minded? That's not smart. The market is littered, stuffed to the gills, with variants that are worth less than they cost when brand new. For every 1 variant that "hits", 200 have not. There's more than enough empirical evidence to demonstrate that such behavior is "not smart"...it's an informed point of view, based on evidence that cannot be easily dismissed.

BUT I DON'T LIKE WHAT THEY SAID SO THEY'RE POOPY HEADS!

hm

BUT I DON'T LIKE WHAT THEY SAID SO THEY'RE POOPY HEADS!

To be fair, you did say he wasn't smart.

And it's certainly not the first time you've been accused of being single-minded...

:D