• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice League #1 RRP RETAILER ROAD SHOW VS. Justice League 1 1:200 Sketch

14 posts in this topic

The new series of the following:

Justice League #1 RRP RETAILER ROAD SHOW Variant VS. Justice League 1 1:200 Sketch book variant.

Does anyone know how many of each were printed?

Are these both worth the same or is one more rare than the other?

If I were to buy one what would be worth more in the long run?

Thanks for any help...

:)

The new series of the following:

Justice League #1 RRP RETAILER ROAD SHOW Variant VS. Justice League 1 1:200 Sketch book variant.

Does anyone know how many of each were printed?

Are these both worth the same or is one more rare than the other?

If I were to buy one what would be worth more in the long run?

Thanks for any help...

:)

Define rare with the reboot. (shrug)

Who knows how many of each cover were actually PRINTED? The key is how many of each cover were released to the market.

The 1 in 200 Finch variant has more of a sales track record. Retailers absolutely had to order their 200 copies of #1 to get the Finch book. With less than 3,000 comic accounts, I would say less than 1000 copies exist on the market. Normally, only a few hundred stores could support selling 200 of any book but people overordered on this one, so I could see 500-1000 existing. Sales have been consistently over $200 on this one, with some dips here and there.

The RRP variant was released in 2 waves. DC mailed out copies (with VERY little protection BTW) to retailers who attended a summer meeting to be briefed on the changes. Probably 500 retailers attended 1 of those meetings. (I saw about 75+ people at the LA meeting) Then, anyone who attended the NYCC Retailer breakfast got a copy. Typically, the attendance there is about 300-400. I've sold a total of 3 copies of this book for $150, $212.50, and $115 respectively.

Here's the difference: The RRP book was given away, so there's no inherent "value" or cost to the book. A retailer didn't have to pay $400+ up front to get one, so the pricing will probably be looser on that book.

On the plus side, yes the RRP book has a Jim Lee sketch cover, which should have more appeal than the Finch variant cover. (I like both artists, but in this particular case, the Lee sketch cover is more distinctive) Jim Lee collectors will obviously value that book more.

In the long run, it's a tough call to say which one will be valued more. The key is if DC ever releases more copies of either version of the book. Odds are, if they decide to give away a book, they'll give away the Jim Lee RRP version, since devaluing the Finch cover would hurt the retailers that DC needs to support this reboot and the Jim Lee cover has always been a free giveaway.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone tracked the history of these "variants" which seem to be marketed in a "flash in the pan" type manner, manufactured collectibles which are soon forgotten and replaced as yesterday's news being trumped by today's hottest release.

It sort of reminds me of the sports card market, where the cardboard heroes of yesteryear are soon forgotten over the hype machine of today's prospects who have that favorite descriptor "potential" attached as the next big thing.

I'm surprised there's a sustainable market for these books based on the seeming history of the valuation of the majority of the releases having a distinct pinnacle to a dramatic drop-off in pricing, probably based on the supply (although a 500-1,000 print run may seem small, it really isn't - - the trading card market has releases that are way more microscopic variants as low as 1 of 1 to an average of 1 of 100, and lots in-between) and of course demand (or the eventual lack-there-of, where they become "who cares!" collectibles rather quickly).

On a side note one just sold on ebay for $483. Not bad...

Still a Vol. 2, reboot, etc.

Everyone wants one because its new. In a few years it will be another variant.

Not sure I agree with this. I don't expect DC to be rebooting Batman or Action any time soon - I can see these titles running for hundreds of issues, and therefore the #1 sketch variants remaining desirable for a long time, although not necessarily at the $400 level.

Justice League may be more vulnerable to spin-offs, team shake-ups, lack of consistency on creators etc., so perhaps it applies less to those variants. Not sure on Green Lantern or Flash (the other 1:200 ones), but those were much less attractive covers anyway, in my opinion, and certainly didn't seem to be going for as much as the "big three".

And yes, I invested in the sketches - Batman 1 and 2, and Action 1 and 2. Didn't pay ridiculous money for them, and they're to keep because I like them (and because I am a shameless Grant Morrison fanboy) not because I'm looking to make money!

i agree with the last poster. They wont be rebooting Batman, action or Detective again in my life time i dont think. I think the sketch variants will hold their value and possibly even increase. If you look on Ebay they started out with tons of them and now a days there is only 1 or 2 of either action or batman on there . However i dont think that holds true for Green Lantern or Flash which have been rebooted already a few times. i also agree with everyone the Jim Lee cover is way better, i have the RRP 9.4 signed by lee and johns, love that one. I wish they would have made the 1:200 of action the Jim lee cover instead of the morales and WHY ON EARTH was Detective not given a variant or sketch. Thats probably the best cover of the lot.

i don't think it matters that it's 'new'. It's 'desirable'. If people want it, no matter if it's a chicken nugget shaped like George Washington's head or a comic drawn by their favorite artist with a limited print run, they'll pay money for it.