• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-Robins Batman Covers SOLD on eBay (DK's collection)

93 posts in this topic

I picked up this one:

0745067008a.jpg

:banana:

Nice :applause:

Well congrats to Brian and good luck with what you are getting now.

The 35 sometimes really surprises you with sales. A coverless missing wrap copy went for $2500 and basically everyone knows what I paid for my complete purple 1.0

This was by far a great run and the quality for the grade was super nice. I certainly would have gone after a few but I have something else that is taking all my funds right now.

I thought the 29 was weak, but I didn't like the spine roll.

Overall I thought the prices were pretty strong especially considering the amount of these books on the market right now.

That being said I am still curious as to what you traded this all in for :-)

James G

As a side note, regarding the same Ebay auction as the Tec run, seems like the Marvel Mystery #9s are dropping in price, are they coming down to earth or are they less desirable?

I don't get it at all. When I'm looking to buy and replace copies I sold they are expensive as hell, hard to find but as soon as I'm out of the market and looking at other books they go dirt cheap. :frustrated: I still think this book is under appreciated. Only $107K for the Chicorel copy in 2009 was a steal.

Personally I never understood the appeal of MM9. I know a lot of collectors love it, but give me a good war cover any day.

For me its the two big guns for Timely slugging it out, Fire vs Water. Visually its a great cover and brought a certain edge that we didn't see before and two superhero's going head to head for really the first time. Early MMC issue to boot which just adds more "mystique" to it. If it was issue #65 years later I don't think it would have the same impact or historical significance.

Personally I never understood the appeal of MM9. I know a lot of collectors love it, but give me a good war cover any day.

For me its the two big guns for Timely slugging it out, Fire vs Water. Visually its a great cover and brought a certain edge that we didn't see before and two superhero's going head to head for really the first time. Early MMC issue to boot which just adds more "mystique" to it. If it was issue #65 years later I don't think it would have the same impact or historical significance.

Yeah, that makes sense. It just doesn't grab me personally though. Fortunately there are hundreds if not thousands of Golden Age books that do, so I've got lots to keep me interested. :cloud9:

Yeah, that makes sense. It just doesn't grab me personally though. Fortunately there are hundreds if not thousands of Golden Age books that do, so I've got lots to keep me interested. :cloud9:

At one point this book was being hyped by a few boardies but today its not talked about as much as copies begin to surface and price is declining. Is it really as scarce as people were saying?

At one point this book was being hyped by a few boardies but today its not talked about as much as copies begin to surface and price is declining. Is it really as scarce as people were saying?

Is anything really that "scarce anymore" ?

Not sure anything is "scarce" anymore given what has been surfacing in the marketplace over the last 2 years but I'd say its still a very hard book to track down on most days. The same couple of issues seem to hit the auction houses/Ebay or a regular basis. At the end of the day a low grade copy can cost around $7k- $10K and in these tough times its not surprising that people decide to let their copy go to free up cash.

Not sure anything is "scarce" anymore given what has been surfacing in the marketplace over the last 2 years but I'd say its still a very hard book to track down on most days. The same couple of issues seem to hit the auction houses/Ebay or a regular basis. At the end of the day a low grade copy can cost around $7k- $10K and in these tough times its not surprising that people decide to let their copy go to free up cash.

Considering how little has been graded so far, I suspect we will all be amazed at what shows up for sell over the next 10 to 20 years.

Detective Comics #31 CGC 4.0 SOLD for $26,000

Does this mean Tec 31 is back on top, and the tie is broken?

A 31 4.0 beating out a 29 4.5 by $5,900 is huge!!!

I agree! For now TEC31 has surpassed TEC29...I love them both. :cloud9:

No as stated above even though the grades were close the eye appeal was not. 29 is a lot rarer with only 37 total copies graded verus 58 31's. Also I am pretty sure my 29 is in the population twice so it should be 36 vs 58.

I still prefer 29, 1st major villian awesome cover. I do love 31 as well.

I am a 28, 28, 31, 35 guy. I think 35 is a bit over rated but the cover has really grown on me a lot :-D

James G