• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011, A YEAR NOT TO BE FORGOTTEN --

31 posts in this topic

The 2011 Con Season is slowly coming to an end. The only major show left this year is Wizard World Austin, after that there's only a couple of one day shows. I must say that this year was the year of the sketch covers. Alot of you have been able to accomplish, what would take others to do in years, in just a matter of months.

As a sketch/signature series collector, what would you like to see done?

What sketches would you like to see from your fellow creators?

What blanks will you get, and what will be your focus?

If you could change one thing about 2011, what would that be?

I would have to respectfully disagree. I think 2011 was the year of White Whale hunting. Some of the rarest and hardest signatures were obtained this year, practically eliminating anyone to get(besides Ditko). Yes, there have been some great sketches obtained, but for me, 2011 will always be the year the greats finally fell...

I just found out at the MidOhio con that they now charge for each different person either signing or adding an illustration to a cover. Back a few years ago I had a jam cover done and at that time I was told he had the highest number of contributors that they had ever had on a single cover. I cost me the same as it would have if I had had just a single artist on it. This year I was going to have two jam covers done, but being out of a job I worked hard to get enough raised to get a SS grade paid for. Unfortunately after I had gone and gotten commitments from a number of artists, I then learned it was going to cost me $5.00 per each additional person on the cover. I was told this was to cover the cost of having to make a special label for the comic. The problem I have is that every SS label is special. So not knowing this I didn’t have the funds to get it done which of course was sad. So to answer one of the first posted questions, I wish the costs were the same regardless of how many people sign or do art for a single cover.

Posted is a copy of the jam cover that was done for me back when it all cost the same

117134.jpg.2c0be85e2bf4d478f9c043ed63ec5180.jpg

2011 was an amazing year for Signature Series in general. When you consider the rare signatures, sketches, cast signed books, it's just incredible. Every serious collector raised the level of thier game this year.

Much credit has to go to Rich Henn, Jesse Campbell, Kris Moore, Joel Elad, Joe Pierson, Chandler Rice, and several others who aren't coming to mind right now. These visionary collectors are putting together books that will be treasures for as long as there is a hobby.

Just consider these names once deemed impossible for SS that were acquired in 2011:

Harrison Ford

Stephen King

Mike Judge

Don Perlin

Alan Moore

John Tottleben

Rick Baker

Sean Cunningham

Nick Castle

and that's just to name a few!

Opportunities with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, and Daniel Craig are still to come in December!!!

Then consider sketch covers by:

Bernie Wrightson

Don Perlin

Stan Lee

Ashley Wood

Borris Vallejo

just to name a few.

This year was so spectacular, I think we should have another Siggy Awards thread!

Tristan, you should get groin punched for putting Don Perlin anywhere but last on that list.

I listed them as they came to mind, not in any order of importance. I still should be groin punched....at least according to my wife.

lol

Tristan, you should get groin punched for putting Don Perlin anywhere but last on that list.

I listed them as they came to mind, not in any order of importance. I still should be groin punched....at least according to my wife.

Ah I see she doesn't wan children.

Ah I see she doesn't wan children.

Heck no, kids are too expensive. We have to save up for our yearly quest to the SDCC!

I would have to respectfully disagree. I think 2011 was the year of White Whale hunting. Some of the rarest and hardest signatures were obtained this year, practically eliminating anyone to get(besides Ditko). Yes, there have been some great sketches obtained, but for me, 2011 will always be the year the greats finally fell...

+1 The "impossible" happened almost monthly around here.