• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mail Nightmare

426 posts in this topic

Jokes aside that sucks, and you need to immediately call your bank, they have 24 hour fraud service and tell them about the check book. That account will most likely need to be closed and new number and checkbook issued.

While the account may be compromised, the interesting point is the checkbook was IN the package. For them to claim the package label fell off, and the package to be lost, it's very strange that the checkbook was returned to the sender?!?

What really pisses me off is some azzhole cutting off the label with a box knife and just tossing it aside, "oops" There weren't any expensive keyes (that I noticed, there were a LOT of comics), but there was tons and tons of comics from the 80's and before. There may have been one or two expensive ones that I missed. Worst of all they were from my childhood. He even threw in bags from the comic shop we used to go to that no longer exists. A couple old news paper clippings from talking about Terminator 2, and lots of other childhood memorabilia.

I haven't told my friend about it yet, and I don't know how I'm going to tell him.

Did you ship this Media Mail? I'll bet you did, and you got caught.

That's about the dumbest comment I've ever read.

Well, did you?

Well, did you?

Yes, my mother shipped them to me media mail. Do you know how she got "caught"?

She brought them in and said, "I would like to ship these comic books media mail", and after the postal worker inspected the contents they told her, "sure, no problem." Boy was she busted!

Comic books are allowed to be shipped media mail. The post office confirmed it, and many sellers have shipped thousands of comics media mail.

You are actually suggesting that if the postal service "caught" something shipped MM that shouldn't be, it's SOP for them to cut off the shipping label and mail it back to the sender with an apology claiming it fell off of the package?

So yes, your comment was one of the dumbest things I've ever read. I realize you were only trying to be an hole, and mission accomplished. But you also accomplished the art of epic stupidity.

Jokes aside that sucks, and you need to immediately call your bank, they have 24 hour fraud service and tell them about the check book. That account will most likely need to be closed and new number and checkbook issued.

While the account may be compromised, the interesting point is the checkbook was IN the package. For them to claim the package label fell off, and the package to be lost, it's very strange that the checkbook was returned to the sender?!?

What really pisses me off is some azzhole cutting off the label with a box knife and just tossing it aside, "oops" There weren't any expensive keyes (that I noticed, there were a LOT of comics), but there was tons and tons of comics from the 80's and before. There may have been one or two expensive ones that I missed. Worst of all they were from my childhood. He even threw in bags from the comic shop we used to go to that no longer exists. A couple old news paper clippings from talking about Terminator 2, and lots of other childhood memorabilia.

I haven't told my friend about it yet, and I don't know how I'm going to tell him.

Did you ship this Media Mail? I'll bet you did, and you got caught.

That's about the dumbest comment I've ever read.

I think he's referring to the fact that comics do not fall under Media Mail criteria. Media Mail can be searched to verify that it is indeed appropriate material. Probably why the tape was cut. Comics contain advertisements and according to the higher ups at USPS, comics cannot be sent Media Mail. I end up paying additional shipping for probably 1/3 of my orders shipped to me via media mail. Don't get too friendly with your postman, once they realized a majority of my shipments were comics, they started to randomly search my packages. Then I get stuck paying the difference between Media and Priority.

I think he's referring to the fact that comics do not fall under Media Mail criteria. Media Mail can be searched to verify that it is indeed appropriate material. Probably why the tape was cut. Comics contain advertisements and according to the higher ups at USPS, comics cannot be sent Media Mail. I end up paying additional shipping for probably 1/3 of my orders shipped to me via media mail. Don't get too friendly with your postman, once they realized a majority of my shipments were comics, they started to randomly search my packages. Then I get stuck paying the difference between Media and Priority.

The post office inspected it and OK'd it. I've received comics via media mail from sellers on Ebay who've shipped thousands of comics.

IF it was inspected and deemed "not qualified" for media mail, they wouldn't have cut off the label and mailed it back with an apology claiming it fell off. The label was completely taped over to secure it in place, and it was cut neatly on all four sides.

Well, did you?

She brought them in and said, "I would like to ship these comic books media mail", and after the postal worker inspected the contents they told her, "sure, no problem." Boy was she busted!

Comic books are allowed to be shipped media mail. The post office confirmed it, and many sellers have shipped thousands of comics media mail.

You are actually suggesting that if the postal service "caught" something shipped MM that shouldn't be, it's SOP for them to cut off the shipping label and mail it back to the sender with an apology claiming it fell off of the package?

So yes, your comment was one of the dumbest things I've ever read. I realize you were only trying to be an hole, and mission accomplished. But you also accomplished the art of epic stupidity.

Wrong, comics cannot be shipped Medial Mail, and I think you are lying about the Postal worker saying it was ok. You got busted deal with it. Just a hint I work for the Post Office

Well, did you?

1) Comics cannot be shipped media mail as they have advertisements in them. If your post office said "yes", they were wrong. It is a shady area, but if you have a hardcore postal inspector, you're going to get caught.

2) Yes, that is SOP, except for the "apology", and I'm calling BS.

3) You're going to get a big bill from the USPS, along with your books, in a while.

Sorry, pal. I've been doing this for a long time. The hole here is you.

Well, did you?

1) Comics cannot be shipped media mail as they have advertisements in them. If your post office said "yes", they were wrong. It is a shady area, but if you have a hardcore postal inspector, you're going to get caught.

3) You're going to get a big bill from the USPS, along with your books, in a while.

Well said :applause: We now need RMA to come in this thread to set him straight

Wrong, comics cannot be shipped Medial Mail, and I think you are lying about the Postal worker saying it was ok. You got busted deal with it. Just a hint I work for the Post Office

Go yourself you little person_without_enough_empathy.

So I guess you're on record also calling Not*Sure* a liar?

I agree I always shipped my comics media mail..I personally know the post master in my area and she has no problem with that..some post offices read the wording of the rules differently and therein is the problem..there is language about bound printed matter that contains advertising some post offices drop the hammer.

In California, I know it depended on the employee behind the counter at the time one was "No problem" The other "No way!"

How about blutobc? Is blutobc a liar?

I agree with Annihilus on this one. I've sent comics via media for years. Local branch knows what's in the boxes...usually they say something like "sold more of them old funny books again".

Around two years ago, after one of the usual monthly "don't do it, you're breaking the law" media mail threads, I directly asked my local Post Office and the Regional P.O. In my question to them I expressly asked if sending comics by media mail was wrong or controversial. Neither office had a problem with comics via media. Apparently though some P.O.'s do. The ones that do seem to be few and far between.

Is Annihilus a liar?

And according to my local carrier and branches.....NOT illegal (and technically, there is not a 'law' so thus, no 'illegality'). I've asked them. Personally. This is true for the following places I've lived:

Maysville & Frankfort, KY

St. Louis Park & Minnetonka, MN

Prescott & Tucson, AZ

and

I have been sending 20+ pound shortboxes of comics via Media Mail every week for the last couple months (about $11 a pop).

People will try to tell you that comics aren't eligible, but that is not my experience, nor that of my local USPS branches. I have never had a package rejected/upcharged by USPS when mailing comics via Media Mail in the ten or so years I've been selling to folks all over the U.S. Several of the boxes I've sent recently have gone to Lonestar Comics in TX, so it's not like the USPS didn't know what was in them either.

I agree I always shipped my comics media mail..I personally know the post master in my area and she has no problem with that..some post offices read the wording of the rules differently and therein is the problem..there is language about bound printed matter that contains advertising some post offices drop the hammer.

In California, I know it depended on the employee behind the counter at the time one was "No problem" The other "No way!"

I agree with Annihilus on this one. I've sent comics via media for years. Local branch knows what's in the boxes...usually they say something like "sold more of them old funny books again".

Around two years ago, after one of the usual monthly "don't do it, you're breaking the law" media mail threads, I directly asked my local Post Office and the Regional P.O. In my question to them I expressly asked if sending comics by media mail was wrong or controversial. Neither office had a problem with comics via media. Apparently though some P.O.'s do. The ones that do seem to be few and far between.

Is Annihilus a liar?

And according to my local carrier and branches.....NOT illegal (and technically, there is not a 'law' so thus, no 'illegality'). I've asked them. Personally. This is true for the following places I've lived:

Prescott & Tucson, AZ

and

I have been sending 20+ pound shortboxes of comics via Media Mail every week for the last couple months (about $11 a pop).

People will try to tell you that comics aren't eligible, but that is not my experience, nor that of my local USPS branches. I have never had a package rejected/upcharged by USPS when mailing comics via Media Mail in the ten or so years I've been selling to folks all over the U.S. Several of the boxes I've sent recently have gone to Lonestar Comics in TX, so it's not like the USPS didn't know what was in them either.

Do you speed in your car?

You're breaking the law.

Do you get caught every time?

No.

If you send Media Mail, you are breaking the USPS rules. Eventually you will get caught, and eventually your books will get tossed. If you'd like I can pull the thousand posts on this subject over the last nine years, or you can continue to send your books Media Mail. Comics cannot be sent Media Mail. If they catch you, the books will get pulled.

Is Annihilus a liar?

Prescott & Tucson, AZ

and

If you tried to mail them at the Office I work at I would tell you no. Comics are NOT MEDIAL MAIL that simple. You are going to get a postage due asking for more money.

I once sent about 50 books via Parcel post. I wrapped the entire box with tape like I usually do to make sure the label doesn't fall off. When I went to ship something else out a week or two later, they handed me my label connected to all of the tape accompanied with a form to fill out. I honestly have no idea how they managed to get all the tape off the box without cutting it. Except I didn't receive an apology letter, I received a lecture from the postmaster on how I should secure my label better. I couldn't do anything but laugh. Here I am standing there with this gigantic wad of tape in hand being told to secure it better.

You're claiming it's SOP for them to cut the label off and mail the label back to you claiming it fell off?

Outstanding! Since you really believe I'm lying and you're not just being an hole then there's no risk in you taking a bet.

I'm on the phone with her right now.

Dear Postal Customer,

Enclosed is an article which we believe belongs to you. The article was sent to our office because it was inadvertently dropped into a mail box or became loose in handling within the postal system. We realize that your mail is important to you and you have every right to expect your mail will be delivered intact and in good condition. The post service make every effort to do so, but occasionally damage can occur from machine processing.

We are striving to improve our processing methods to minimize such incidents. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. If you have any questions please contact Veronica at (510) 874-8420 or (510) 874-8636

Next week when she gets to her office she's going to scan the label that was cut off along with the letter and email them to me. Here's the bet. If I'm able to post them you will agree to leave this forum. If I fail to do so I will leave.

Since you really believe what you say this a bet you can't lose! But if you know deep down that YOU are the hole, I will fully understand why you won't accept - and instead make an excuse not to take it. OR of course pretend not to see this and walk away with your tail between your legs.

"Sorry, pal. I've been doing this for a long time."

And yet you still got owned in the face by a n00b.

You're claiming it's SOP for them to cut the label off and mail the label back to you claiming it fell off?

Outstanding! Since you really believe I'm lying and you're not just being an hole then there's no risk in you taking a bet.

I'm on the phone with her right now.

Dear Postal Customer,

Enclosed is an article which we believe belongs to you. The article was sent to our office because it was inadvertently dropped into a mail box or became loose in handling within the postal system. We realize that your mail is important to you and you have every right to expect your mail will be delivered intact and in good condition. The post service make every effort to do so, but occasionally damage can occur from machine processing.

We are striving to improve our processing methods to minimize such incidents. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. If you have any questions please contact Veronica at (510) 874-8420 or (510) 874-8636

Next week when she gets to her office she's going to scan the label that was cut off along with the letter and email them to me. Here's the bet. If I'm able to post them you will agree to leave this forum. If I fail to do so I will leave.

Since you really believe what you say this a bet you can't lose! But if you know deep down that YOU are the hole, I will fully understand why you won't accept - and instead make an excuse not to take it.

He's talking about the SOP for Medial Mail.

Which is NOT to cut the label off, and mail (just the label) back to the customer with a letter of apology.

Oh, and YOU never did answer my question.

and I think you are lying about the Postal worker saying it was ok.

Are the several other board members ALSO lying about that too? Sitting there questioning my integrity and you don't even know what the you're talking about.

Which is NOT to cut the label off, and mail (just the label) back to the customer with a letter of apology.

Not so sure about that. The post office can destroy media mail rather than return it to the sender. It's in the regulations. That normally doesn't happen but it's within the USPS rules.