• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mail Nightmare

426 posts in this topic

So a while back I posted that my best friend from childhood gave me his old collection. We collected together and years later mine got stolen. We would visit the comic shops together, often buying the same comic. We would read them together and talk about comics and characters. We even came up with a crazy idea, "They should make an X-men movie!" and talked about which comic characters Marvel should make movies about. This was in the '80's, and the last time I was home we were laughing about how Marvel should send us royalties for finally listening to us.

Anyway, he gave me his old collection because I just got back into it, and he no longer collects. He wanted to give me part of my childhood back since mine got stolen.

So I gave the collection to my mother to ship back for me. The first attempt she misspelled my street name, so it was returned to her. No problem, I can wait.

But she recently received the shipping label (by itself) in the mail apologizing that it "fell off." - basically saying the package is now lost because it can't be identified. The thing is she completely covered over the label with clear shipping tape. What's more, she said it is blatantly obvious that the label was ing CUT OFF with a box knife. The clear tape is still over the top of it, and it's edges are neatly cut smooth. A layer of the cardboard is still stuck to the back of it.

But wait! There's more! She found a really old checkbook of mine and threw that in the box with it. That they mailed back to her. Before I joined the army she was renting a room from me and it has my old address on it.

I'm fricking pissed off.

So a while back I posted that my best friend from childhood gave me his old collection. We collected together and years later mine got stolen. We would visit the comic shops together, often buying the same comic. We would read them together and talk about comics and characters. We even came up with a crazy idea, "They should make an X-men movie!" and talked about which comic characters Marvel should make movies about. This was in the '80's, and the last time I was home we were laughing about how Marvel should send us royalties for finally listening to us.

Anyway, he gave me his old collection because I just got back into it, and he no longer collects. He wanted to give me part of my childhood back since mine got stolen.

So I gave the collection to my mother to ship back for me. The first attempt she misspelled my street name, so it was returned to her. No problem, I can wait.

But she recently received the shipping label (by itself) in the mail apologizing that it "fell off." - basically saying the package is now lost because it can't be identified. The thing is she completely covered over the label with clear shipping tape. What's more, she said it is blatantly obvious that the label was ing CUT OFF with a box knife. The clear tape is still over the top of it, and it's edges are neatly cut smooth. A layer of the cardboard is still stuck to the back of it.

But wait! There's more! She found a really old checkbook of mine and threw that in the box with it. That they mailed back to her. Before I joined the army she was renting a room from me and it has my old address on it.

I'm fricking pissed off.

So basically what your saying is that it was your idea to make the X-Men movie. :baiting:

Jokes aside that sucks, and you need to immediately call your bank, they have 24 hour fraud service and tell them about the check book. That account will most likely need to be closed and new number and checkbook issued.

Jokes aside that sucks, and you need to immediately call your bank, they have 24 hour fraud service and tell them about the check book. That account will most likely need to be closed and new number and checkbook issued.

While the account may be compromised, the interesting point is the checkbook was IN the package. For them to claim the package label fell off, and the package to be lost, it's very strange that the checkbook was returned to the sender?!?

When I moved to SD I shipped all my stuff in slider boxes to my new address with the return address of a friend..books in some personal belongings in others and store stock from my store in yet others..

out of 27 boxes..I got 6 mostly my clothing and shoes 80% of the comics disappeared and all the store stock stuff.

I had delivery confirmation+insurance on some which was scanned at drop off and then gone..

about 7 months later, I got a reply from a postal inspector who had been trying to "find" my packages..saying he was glad they arrived..209 days after they were first scanned all the del cons were scanned as delivered..

Unfortunately I had moved again but had left a forwarding address..

some person obviously saw the boxes and went through and got what they wanted..then after realizing there was an investigation underway..scanned the del cons..

I lost a ton of books..I was so glad I had alreayd sold the more expensive ones..but some of them I would never be able to replace..anyway..

The post office insisted I got them but I never did..

I had to ship my stuff due to the situation but wouldn't ever do it again

While the account may be compromised, the interesting point is the checkbook was IN the package. For them to claim the package label fell off, and the package to be lost, it's very strange that the checkbook was returned to the sender?!?

What really pisses me off is some azzhole cutting off the label with a box knife and just tossing it aside, "oops" There weren't any expensive keyes (that I noticed, there were a LOT of comics), but there was tons and tons of comics from the 80's and before. There may have been one or two expensive ones that I missed. Worst of all they were from my childhood. He even threw in bags from the comic shop we used to go to that no longer exists. A couple old news paper clippings from talking about Terminator 2, and lots of other childhood memorabilia.

I haven't told my friend about it yet, and I don't know how I'm going to tell him.

What really pisses me off is some azzhole cutting off the label with a box knife and just tossing it aside, "oops" There weren't any expensive keyes (that I noticed, there were a LOT of comics), but there was tons and tons of comics from the 80's and before. There may have been one or two expensive ones that I missed. Worst of all they were from my childhood. He even threw in bags from the comic shop we used to go to that no longer exists. A couple old news paper clippings from talking about Terminator 2, and lots of other childhood memorabilia.

I haven't told my friend about it yet, and I don't know how I'm going to tell him.

Sorry to hear this happened :( a lost package is one thing, but theft is a completely different problem. While it may not have been a box of high dollar keys, the sentimental value of the comics is irreplaceable. I would have someone look into the last place that package was scanned, possibly tracking down the last facility that package was handled. Maybe ask where the label and checkbook was sent back from. May not lead to anything, but you never know (shrug)

Maybe next time someone tries to tell you not to make a media mail package too heavy, you'll listen. It's not as if you were not warned that a 50 pound package would experiance mishandling every step of the way.

I'm sorry this happened, it shouldn't but it does.

BTW-If the package was opened for inspection, some inspectors would declare the package ineligible for media mail due to the checkbook.

Media Mail is sometimes opened for inspection. Its better to write the address on the box then attach a label with the tape they will cut to open the box.

To rub even more salt in the wound- If it does turn up, expect a big bill from them.

Media Mail is not returned or forwarded free as first class mail is.

They end up getting sold at unclaimed goods auctions. I've picked up a number of nice deals there. The best was a package of about 50 SA and GA books sent from a shop overseas( Germany maybe) to a shop that had gone out of business in my town. When Creation moved from Mineola out to the West Coast in the mid 80s, all sorts of stuff ended up at the local PO as undeliverable as they would not pay the forwarding cost. One box I bought contained 150 Marvel Magazines, another a bunch of Fantagraphic Prince Valiants.

This is a strange and upsetting story. Last year I sent my sister in Florida 7 big boxes of her that were 40-50 pounds per box. I needed my pickup just to move them. I sent them Parcel Post, no insurance, just Del Conf. They all got there fine in 5 days.

This is a great example of getting insurance on something like this.

Sorry to hear all this.

Mike

Maybe next time someone tries to tell you not to make a media mail package too heavy, you'll listen. It's not as if you were not warned that a 50 pound package would experiance mishandling every step of the way.

I'm sorry this happened, it shouldn't but it does.

BTW-If the package was opened for inspection, some inspectors would declare the package ineligible for media mail due to the checkbook.

Media Mail is sometimes opened for inspection. Its better to write the address on the box then attach a label with the tape they will cut to open the box.

To rub even more salt in the wound- If it does turn up, expect a big bill from them.

Media Mail is not returned or forwarded free as first class mail is.

You warned me that they're rough and careless with heavy MM packages, but that's very different from blatant theft. The label didn't "fall off" from cutting the box open. It was deliberately cut off and removed from the package.

This is a strange and upsetting story. Last year I sent my sister in Florida 7 big boxes of her that were 40-50 pounds per box. I needed my pickup just to move them. I sent them Parcel Post, no insurance, just Del Conf. They all got there fine in 5 days.

This is a great example of getting insurance on something like this.

Sorry to hear all this.

Mike

I also had a time when I bought a $750 coin from a very reputable, online dealer. The package arrived without the coin inside the box. Thank goodness it was insured and I opened the package inside the post office. And I only did that because I was eager to see it in hand. It was lucky. I had already walked away from the counter, opened it, and then I immediately went back and complained the package was empty.

They brought out the manager and I asked her if they could review the camera to see I didn't pocket it. I also asked her to write a statement about exactly what happened. Fortunately (and to my surprise) she agreed to do both, and I got paid the full amount.

It would make me want to go "Postal!" I have lost much respect for the postal service and empathy for their financial woes they seem to have too many staff who simply don't give a hoot about the service they provide. I stopped all my comic subscriptions due to their poor service (they beat the out the comics, evidently can't read "Please Do Not Bend", etc.) and then getting ripped off by them, "Paratrooper" I think you are presenting much self-restraint. Good luck with any efforts to resolve the issue. Since its apparent theft call the "Postal Inspector's" office directly? I am not sure how much time you want to invest in this but you can always elevate it above the postal service if they drag their feet.

It would make me want to go "Postal!" I have lost much respect for the postal service and empathy for their financial woes they seem to have too many staff who simply don't give a hoot about the service they provide. I stopped all my comic subscriptions due to their poor service (they beat the out the comics, evidently can't read "Please Do Not Bend", etc.) and then getting ripped off by them, "Paratrooper" I think you are presenting much self-restraint. Good luck with any efforts to resolve the issue. Since its apparent theft call the "Postal Inspector's" office directly? I am not sure how much time you want to invest in this but you can always elevate it above the postal service if they drag their feet.
Like I said before if people knew the benefits and sick leave days these post office tellers who work behind the counter get,then they would figure out the real reason why the post office is going bankrupt. These postal people are getting paid better and have better benefits than our cops,firefighters and teachers. rantrant

These postal people are getting paid better and have better benefits than our cops,firefighters and teachers. rantrant [/quote

I guess that all depends where you live. Its most certainly not true in New York City or on Long Island. My sister and her husband worked for the PO on Long Island, they had to decide between buying a house or sending their daughter to Catholic school. They eventually transferred to outside of Charlotte, NC for a few years and lived great down there. If your locality is paying its teachers less than the mail men, shame on them. Perhaps you should think about giving them a raise.

One of my best friends moved from NY to Arizona for health reasons. He was making About $75,000 as a HS science teacher. took a similar job in Arizona for $37,000, and that included them giving him seniority based on experiance in NY.

A quirk on Long island is that we don't have paid firefighters. With only about three exceptions, we relie entirely on volunteers,

Did you ship this Media Mail? I'll bet you did, and you got caught.

Did you ship this Media Mail? I'll bet you did, and you got caught.

That's about the dumbest comment I've ever read.