• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #13 on Ebay tonight!

43 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the forum bids! Reserve is very close to being met, so snipers won't have far to go. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The winner will never regret buying this comic. It is SWEET.

Dan

Surfer -

This book was originally graded maybe 4 years ago as a 9.2 oww when I bought it. The only reason it's in a "new" holder is that I had the same idea you did and re-submitted it to CGC. There's just a few light spine stresses too many, and perhaps a soft indent on the back cover near the staple. All four edges and 3 corners are razor sharp, however, so its "eye appeal" grade is definitely 9.4/9.6 range.

If this were a 9.4 I think it would hit $9 or $10K because of scarcity.

Oh well...buy the book, not the grade, right? cloud9.gif

Dan

Drummy,

I agree buy the book not the grade but too bad you couldn't pull off a 9.4 on this one. Actually I'm still shocked that there are so few of these in the registry in high grade. You'd think that if someone owned a raw 9.4 they would want to slab it just to confirm to themselves that they have a $10K book and not a $5K book? Even if they had no intentions of selling it, wouldn't this be a must if you had a large personal collection, especially when it comes to insurance coverage and verifying its market/replacement value?

Well, a lot depends on whether the super-collector with a HG Fantastic Four run is ever thinking about selling. I've always been one to buy and sell, so CGC is a must for me in order to keep my collection "liquid". But if I had major funds and knew the source for all my books, I might not need a marketplace check via slabbing, especially if I never planned to sell them.

That said, I honestly don't think there are more than 3-5 copies of Fantastic Four #13 in strict NM out there that haven't been sent to CGC. The latest round of submissions in the past year yielded only an 8.5 and a 9.0. For some reason, this is one of the toughest early FF's to find in HG along with #3, #7, #17 and #18, and probably #6. (They're ALL tough - #11 and #2 also come to mind - but these are the notorious ones.)

Dan

That said, I honestly don't think there are more than 3-5 copies of Fantastic Four #13 in strict NM out there that haven't been sent to CGC.

While I don't disagree with this statement, I also know that WE have really NO IDEA what is still available (i.e. not CGC'd). There are probably a few collectors that haven't even been collecting the past 4-5 years that have some wonderful books.

1) Obviously, there are a few collectors that pay attention (i.e. still collect) but don't have their "keepers" CGC'd.

2) There are those that bought books many years ago, but stopped collecting and have yet to even concern themself with selling.

3) Undiscovered original owner collections. While you would think there can't be many more, it seems that every year one of two new ones are found.

Still a Fantastic book (pun intended). thumbsup2.gif

That said, I honestly don't think there are more than 3-5 copies of Fantastic Four #13 in strict NM out there that haven't been sent to CGC.

While I don't disagree with this statement, I also know that WE have really NO IDEA what is still available (i.e. not CGC'd). There are probably a few collectors that haven't even been collecting the past 4-5 years that have some wonderful books.

1) Obviously, there are a few collectors that pay attention (i.e. still collect) but don't have their "keepers" CGC'd.

2) There are those that bought books many years ago, but stopped collecting and have yet to even concern themself with selling.

3) Undiscovered original owner collections. While you would think there can't be many more, it seems that every year one of two new ones are found.

Still a Fantastic book (pun intended). thumbsup2.gif

Burntboy (fellow forumite) just submitted his original owner #11 that he bought off the newsrack and got a 9.4 on it. 893whatthe.gif I agree with Steve when he says that it's hard to say what's out there and that anything is possible, but at the same time, there can't be THAT many more NM early FFs around, can there?

I agree with both Steve and Scott. I have just been asking many of the major dealers about FF's for about six years, and most just shake their heads when asked about certain early FF's (#13 and #3 in particular). They've seen a lot more than I have, so I'm just speculating from an "expert" word of mouth appraisal of the situation.

Who knows? I hope 8 more HG copies pop up; it should lower the price for me in a few years when I want an issue like this back in the fold! (The truth is, though, I doubt I'll ever see a copy like this again if it sells.)

Dan

The latest round of submissions in the past year yielded only an 8.5 and a 9.0.

Actually two 9.0s. I still have all the data ValiantMan made available when he first started scraping the census web pages last July, and there were six 9.0s back then; now there are eight. I don't think the 8.5 that Eide's recently sold on ebay is in the Census yet.

I agree with Steve when he says that it's hard to say what's out there and that anything is possible, but at the same time, there can't be THAT many more NM early FFs around, can there?

Not many, no, but I suspect that not even half of the recognized Silver Age pedigrees known to contain early FFs have gotten slabbed yet. However, it's hard to say whether any specific issue is present in high grade in every pedigree.

FF #11 and #13 are equally as unavailable, but I do know the CGC 9.4 count on #11 has doubled over the last six to nine months (from two to four). I've got to think there are more to be had out there, although not in numbers significantly higher than the current census totals.

Hey everyone -

Thanks for all your bids. The FF #13 ends tonight. Reserve is currently $150 away. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks again,

Dan