• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Historian Les Daniels RIP

27 posts in this topic

I can't find any further info anywhere but Tom Spurgeon of Comics Reporter is reporting that Les Daniels has passed.

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/les_daniels_rip/

As many here will know, Daniels wrote a number of popular books on comic book industry history, including Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics and DC Comics: sixty years of the world's favorite comic book heroes. His work did much to bring the history of American comics to a mainstream audience.

I'm really shocked by this news. Les participated in another forum I'm involved with, the Classic Horror Films Board. He was a super nice guy, and very erudite about many different subjects. He will be missed. God rest his soul.

His 1971 "Comix: A History of Comic Books In America" was and remains a superb resource and fun read. Thanks, Mr. Daniels, for making me a lifelong comics fan. RIP. I just wish I knew who "Mad Peck" was...

According to the Rhode Island Music Hall Of Fame

JOHN PECK (“THE MAD PECK”)

Nationally known cartoonist, record collector, radio personality, and archivist at Brown University Library

His book "Comix" was one of my greatest Christmas presents 40 years ago. I devoured that book, treasured it and still have it dust jacket and all. It just got packed up and wrapped for our upcoming renovation project. Thanks Mr. Daniels, I never met you but I liked your books!

His 1971 "Comix: A History of Comic Books In America" was and remains a superb resource and fun read. Thanks, Mr. Daniels, for making me a lifelong comics fan. RIP. I just wish I knew who "Mad Peck" was...

According to the Rhode Island Music Hall Of Fame

JOHN PECK (“THE MAD PECK”)

Nationally known cartoonist, record collector, radio personality, and archivist at Brown University Library

Thanks BZ. You probably knew the answer without even looking to the RIMHOF.

His book "Comix" was one of my greatest Christmas presents 40 years ago. I devoured that book, treasured it and still have it dust jacket and all. It just got packed up and wrapped for our upcoming renovation project. Thanks Mr. Daniels, I never met you but I liked your books!

When you think about the Les Daniels Comix book, The Steranko History of Comics, and the first Oversteet all coming out within a couple year period... that really got the ball rolling on getting a lot of us interested in diving into the details of the history of American comics.

When you think about the Les Daniels Comix book, The Steranko History of Comics, and the first Oversteet all coming out within a couple year period... that really got the ball rolling on getting a lot of us interested in diving into the details of the history of American comics.

Well said :popcorn:

I can't find any further info anywhere but Tom Spurgeon of Comics Reporter is reporting that Les Daniels has passed.

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/les_daniels_rip/

As many here will know, Daniels wrote a number of popular books on comic book industry history, including Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics and DC Comics: sixty years of the world's favorite comic book heroes. His work did much to bring the history of American comics to a mainstream audience.

Two great books, really enjoyed them. R.I.P.

Yes, and I have equally vivid memories of receiving the Steranko books on another Christmas and spending most of Christmas day reading it and showing the pictures to my Dad and Uncle who remembered most of the covers. The arrival of my first price guide (the second edition) was also a revelation and I read that from cover to cover. It was a fun time to be into old comics.

I'm really shocked by this news. Les participated in another forum I'm involved with, the Classic Horror Films Board. He was a super nice guy, and very erudite about many different subjects. He will be missed. God rest his soul.

Thanks for mentioning that. I googled that forum this morning to see if anybody there had more info, and saw that he'd been a regular participant there up to late last month. I so wish I'd realized he was active online, I'd have loved to tell him how much I appreciated his work.

There were a few people wondering about more info on twitter this morning. There's a thread on the Classic Horror board Doiby mentions that notes he wasn't able to attend some recent cons due to health concerns. There is also a brief note on sfsite.com which says it was a heart attack.

I didn't know he was such a prolific author. In addition to his comics history work, he'd written a well-regarded history of horror in popular culture, and five novels.

His posts at the CHFB were always interesting, Mark. I was rereading some of them yesterday and today. He was such a nice guy. His presence will be missed.