• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Occupy CGC posted by pgbeckstrom

49 posts in this topic

Members are speaking out!

I have posted a few journals relating to CGC's poor turn-around times in the economy track. Currently I have been seeing more people also complain about this. As customers we are asking for better service, but at the same time still giving you our service. CGC should have some 'foresight' into improving this before losing customers. My guess though is that CGC believes they have a solid grip on the third-party grading industry and they can continue on their present course with no negative ramifications. Why should they improve service when we keep using them?

I may not be a member spending several thousands a year on grading my books, but as a customer doesn't my opinion and others in consensus count for something? We have asked, complained and griped over these poor turn-around times. CGC don't you think its time you at the very least responded to these complaints?

See more journals by pgbeckstrom

Okay every time I ever submitted a book(s), yes I had to wait and sometimes it took very long, everyday I would check online to see if anything changed/updated. Once I got the grades I was no longer concerned about the arrival. The books when they arrive, I just look at them for a bit and put them away. What was I in such a hurry for anyway?

Something else to consider is the idea that as a society (of collectors) it behooves us to entice new members into our hobby. If the hobby doesn't grow the values of our prized investments will not increase nearly as much as we are all hoping, if at all.

The most readily willing newcomers to slab collecting would come from collectors of raw books (casual all the way to hardcore). Before CGC came along we were all raw book collectors. If I had seen so much bad press about turn around times on graded books before joining the club I may have thought twice about jumping in feet first.

Yes, we can pay more for expedient processing; but with the economy in the tank as it has been, the higher prices simply are prohibitive. The "economy" level indicates a specific time frame, just as the "express" tier does. Regardless of whether or not you pay for faster service the deadlines ought to be upheld. Period.

PGX has an opportunity to sop up some spilled milk here by stepping up ITS services and making their graded books more desirable. Could another (new) company provide some healthy competition to the market? Monopolies keep prices high and stifle competition (see: Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citibank and any other big bank these days).

I enjoy my CGC graded books and I have a vested interest in seeing its continued success. In this instance just a tiny bit of PR would go a long way to stifle the (legitmate) complaints.

Don't submit economy. If you know the turnaround times are going to bother you, spend the little extra for standard. The lengthy turnaround times are nothing new.

First off, political discussions ARE NOT allowed per forum rules.

Second, if you want your books faster, there's a tier for that, it's called FAST TRACKED!!!

Third, if you're not happy take your business elsewhere...it's a FREE COUNTRY..

Spoken like a true 1 percenter.

It's called common sense. If you know it is going to take five months to get the books back and you know you are going to be pissed off waiting five months, then don't submit economy. It costs 20 percent more to cut the grading time by more than 50 percent.

But you already know that and are just trolling.

Didn't know politics was verboten here, gestapo. This whole thread needs to go away completely then, based on the subject alone.

Taking political views completely out of the picture and focusing solely on a BUSINESS MODEL: if you advertise 40 business days for economy that DOES NOT equate to five months.

There isn't any common sense involved here. It is simply a matter of good business practices and delivering what you promise. If economy is going to take five months instead of two then STATE IT.

Calling people whiners and berating them for not fast tracking an order is counter productive and should not even enter into the argument. THE BOTTOM LINE IS PEOPLE ARE PAYING FOR A SERVICE AND NOT RECEIVING WHAT THEY ARE PAYING FOR. End of story.

What exactly is "trolling" anyway? Educate me.

People are getting exactly what they are paying for - an encapsulated comic book with CGC's opinion on its grade in the upper left hand corner. The turnaround times are estimates, not guarantees. No one likes the delays, but graders don't grow on trees. These bashing threads are always a treat.

Point taken, seanfingh. I understand they are estimates. But when the estimates for the cheapest service are SO far off from the actual turn around times it borders on false advertisement.

What happens when the delays start bleeding into the turn around times for fast track books? Again, graders don't grow on trees. Is CGC going to be called to task then?

How do they get "called to task?" people are either going to keep using the service or they are not. I do mostly Sig Series books. There is no alternative. Realistically, there is no alternative for any grading services. Everyone including CGC wants the published time frames to be met. I sincerely believe that they would hire more graders if they could find folks with the right skills who were willing to move to Florida for what they pay. It is not like finding cashiers or waiters.

Agreed. Finding graders in one locale is not easy. I like the service and use it as often as I can afford it. Like you said, consumers will use it or they won't. My fear is that people may start not using CGC services.

I have no idea how CGC would be called to task; except if they see a reduction in the number of submissions as a result of the bad press/turn around times. Hitting their bottom line may be the only way. But that would be bad for the hobby as a whole.

I love comic books and I love the product CGC provides. It allows me to keep my comics protected and provides a way for me to validate my subjectively graded collection. It would be nice to have everyone enjoy their collecting experience as immensely as possible, not just those who can afford to pay premium prices.

if they don't want to hire more graders, that's fine. they'll just make less $. there are a lot of people like myself who do economy or not at all. i know i'm in for a 6 month wait when i send books in (sigs+4 month wait time). so i don't even bother with non-SS books right now. if they were hitting their advertised 3 month turn-around or even provided 2 months at the economy price, i'd send in some blues. they don't wanna? that's ok. i like having $ in my bank account.