• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age CGC 9.9 and Reality

98 posts in this topic

When I pull and sub a book out of the stacks or boxes that looks higher than 9.8 and it comes back higher than 9.8 then CGC has done there job.

A really beautiful book is just that and should be graded accordingly, not discounted by one's personal perception or bias to higher grades given.

I know this question is going to sound snarky, but please don't take it that way. :wishluck:

With that stat of 27 per over 300,000, how many could you possibly be pulling? It seems like a once in a lifetime happenstance, if that, given those numbers.

Because I'm not a math person... National Weather Service: "Odds of being struck by lightening in your lifetime (Est. 80 years) 1:10,000."

See what I mean? (shrug)

I think the 27 out of 300,000 is for Silver Age books.

I'm also pretty sure that BeachBum works mainly with moderns.

I also believe that the number of 9.9's and 10s are higher for moderns.

I'm doing a lot of thinking there so I may be completely wrong.

:insane:

When I pull and sub a book out of the stacks or boxes that looks higher than 9.8 and it comes back higher than 9.8 then CGC has done there job.

A really beautiful book is just that and should be graded accordingly, not discounted by one's personal perception or bias to higher grades given.

I know this question is going to sound snarky, but please don't take it that way. :wishluck:

With that stat of 27 per over 300,000, how many could you possibly be pulling? It seems like a once in a lifetime happenstance, if that, given those numbers.

Because I'm not a math person... National Weather Service: "Odds of being struck by lightening in your lifetime (Est. 80 years) 1:10,000."

See what I mean? (shrug)

Your logic is correct. Dre deals mainly in moderns and certain moderns due to their cover stock and availability lend to seeing more 9.9's and 10.0's. That and a good eye for details.

Okay. That makes sense. Thanks. (thumbs u

Yep, the stats and thread are about 9.9s "1960 to 1969".

See what I mean? (shrug)

Your logic is correct. Dre deals mainly in moderns and certain moderns due to their cover stock and availability lend to seeing more 9.9's and 10.0's. That and a good eye for details.

Okay. That makes sense. Thanks. (thumbs u

Yep, the stats and thread are about 9.9s "1960 to 1969".

Yes, I deal mainly with Moderns and was taking that 95% as whole across the ages. With the logic USPara was giving though 25 of the 27 SA books would come back as 9.8 or lower and only roughly 2 would stay 9.9.

"Chewbacca is a Wookie, this does not make sense. Look at the silly monkey *Boom* " lol

Yes, I deal mainly with Moderns and was taking that 95% as whole across the ages. With the logic USPara was giving though 25 of the 27 SA books would come back as 9.8 or lower and only roughly 2 would stay 9.9.

"Chewbacca is a Wookie, this does not make sense. Look at the silly monkey *Boom* " lol

The fact still remains that there are qualities that are exclusive to both grades even though they are microscopic and you can spot them more times than not if you are able to see them.

The fact still remains that there are qualities that are exclusive to both grades even though they are microscopic and you can spot them more times than not if you are able to see them.

What do you mean by that?

There are qualities that distinguish a 9.8 from a 9.9 and visa versa and you can visually see the difference the majority of the time once you know what to look for.

It's not a shoot.

There are qualities that distinguish a 9.8 from a 9.9 and visa versa and you can visually see the difference the majority of the time once you know what to look for.

It's not a shoot.

Yes, I read that the first time.

What do you mean by "qualities"? Do you mean defects that are present?

It's not a shoot.

:golfclap:

Sure...either defects or the lack thereof. Positive or negative qualities.

(shrug)

It's not a shoot.

I'm going to draw a BIG ING RED X through all of my original art with a permanent marker and then frame this quote and hang it across all the artwork on my office wall.

My prized possession.

:cloud9:

(shrug)

OK, now you're messing with me.

(shrug)

So what would be a positive quality that exists on a 9.8, but not a 9.9?

(shrug)

So what would be a positive quality that exists on a 9.8, but not a 9.9?

I think you know what I mean but are trying to get more information. Unfortunately, this is where I have to run out for the kid's lessons and don't have time to get into it.

Basically, the more positive the quality of the book the higher the grade.

One person's positive quality may not be the same as everyone else's but we're talking about CGC's rules here.

(shrug)

(shrug)

Of course I am. It is the golf clap. It is, by its very nature, insulting. Best used when the poster is posting self-laudatory unprovable immeasurable addle-pated claptrap.

Of course I am. It is the golf clap. It is, by its very nature, insulting. Best used when the poster is posting self-laudatory unprovable immeasurable addle-pated claptrap.

Bite me. And while doing so I hope your clap stays with you.

Gotta fly, kiddies!

(shrug)

Sheesh. I didn't know that. I'm off to check all my posts for spiteful responses. :ohnoez:

Sheesh. I didn't know that. I'm off to check all my posts for spiteful responses. :ohnoez:

Yeah, I didn't know it either.

(thumbs u

Clap.

:sick: