• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Storage Problem

7 posts in this topic

How come your $#!T is stuff and there stuff is $#!T "George Carlin"

90@ of my collection is protected and accounted for. If my internet continues to be a problem I see that number slowly lowering, the accounted for not the protected part. 98% of my collection is listed but once again my problem falls into the category on where to put it all. I tried a climate control storage place before but now it seems like a waste of money.

I could move into a larger apartment. The increase would be about the same as the cost of a climate control storage unit but at least I would have everything together. Either option takes away from any additional funds that I would have for my collection. If I chose one of the two it would be a larger place since I would like to display them for my pleasure and not just to hoard them.

As far as work is concerned I have stayed there for so long since I am making my money for my bills and things I want. Recently though this has become increasingly difficult. If I do make the change will I be able to save enough to learn any new job I have and stay away from collecting or will I be able to send some books in strictly for sale and whatever profit I make be able to sell off to then buy what I want? And if I am successful at this where do I put my stock?

I would love to be able to take my time and sprawl my comic books all over the apartment and properly grade them. This off course takes time and space, neither of which I have.

As far as touching base on what Lee K said about boxes. I know I have to pick up another box and I get them at the conventions, my local comic shops do not carry these, although I think I can get them from one in particular. CGC is written predominantly on the side and fortunately they fit very nicely into the shelving units I have. I did try the magazine holders in the beginning but with at least 265 books owned and more coming I think i might have to learn to be more creative. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks for Reading.

Tnerb

9760.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I see that Stan Lee Sig Series DD #1 peeking out! Nice book!

The 32 cubic foot safe I have could easily hold 350, perhaps more, slabbed books vertically if I was not using some of the real estate in it for a few guns, digital cameras and lenses, and a few other various collectables I have. With what I currently have in the safe I could easily fit another 75-100 graded books which is plenty considering that since I started collecting comics a few years ago (I was only a reader of comics up until I turned 25 in 2009) I only have 23 graded books in my collection. My safe is obviously not ideal for displaying the books, but the added theft and 2 hour fire protection (God forbid it is ever needed) is a fair trade in my opinion.

You could always sell your furniture! Imagine how many books you can store in the square footage a bed takes up. I know it seems like a drastic solution, but it would do the trick.

Good luck finding a storage solution you are happy with Tnerb!

Clouded9, I would be VERY careful with putting comics in a fireproof safe. There have been many threads on these boards about how those safes can rust staples very quickly and drastically downgrade your books. Please do some research on here before you leave those books in there long term, otherwise you may be in for a nasty surprise down the road.

Thanks for looking out Mysterio. I will do some more research, but from what I've read in the past, my books should be safe. My safe is inside my house (climate controlled), moisture is kept in check (via electric De-humidifier and descant packages) relative humidity sits around 25%-30% in the safe and is monitored digitally (The annual average is around 50% humidity where I live), and there is airflow as the safe does not self seal and become fire proof until exterior temp reaches 200 F. Paper begins to char at 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. If there is a fire (again, God forbid) my books still might be slightly damaged while in the safe, but they would be better off than if they were just sitting in my closet fully exposed I would think.

It is definitely worth revisiting though and I will look into it again. Thanks!

Anyone else care to share their thoughts on the topic?