• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GEM CITY COMIC CON DAYTON OHIO MARCH 31ST TO APRIL 1ST

27 posts in this topic

Looking forward to this one.

Bill throws a fun little show, all grown up now to two days, and it's the start of the convention season for us Michigan types, followed shortly thereafter by C2E2, Motor City, Pittsburgh WW Chicago. A busy, fun summer is anticipated!

GEM CITY COMIC CON WEBSITE

Looks like this comic con here in Dayton, OH is getting bigger and bigger and this year it is going to be a 2 day event. Posting this up so everyone has plenty of time to plan for it. Hoping they land some big named artists this year. :)

Larry Hama is basically it.

I guess, as always, it depends on what your looking for. I've gone to this Convention every year its been run and have yet had time to see everyones books. I've asked every year about expanding and YEAH they are. This show has always had a good mix of high end books, bargin boxes and new stuff. They also draw a few dealers that don't do many other shows, so there is always new old books to look at. I'm looking forward to talking with guest Mark Waid this year.

I would say the biggest draw back is crowd control. The first few hours have always been crowded. But things clear out in the mid-afternoon. And hopefully with two days the show floor might be less crowded.

I am looking forward to this year’s show. 2 days and I feel a lot of talent is going to be there. Here are the comic shirts I have done in past years there.

Here is this years line-up:

Featured Guests this year are: Mark Waid -Irredeemable, Incorruptible, Kingdom Come. Appearing on behalf of “The Hero Initiative” is Larry Hama - Gi-Joe, Bucky O’hare, Wolverine, Joe Corroney - Star Trek, Gi-Joe, Doctor Who, Angel, True Blood, Jay Leisten, sponsored by The Derby City Comic Con, Uncanny X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Dark X-Men. Also appearing Dan Parent- Archie Comics, Craig Boldman - Archie Comics, Josh Medors- Franzetta’s Swamp Demon, Sorcerer, 30 Days of Night. Steve Scott - Batman, X-Men Forever, Indiana Jones, Razor, The Creeper, J.W.Foxx - The Fifth World (novel).

Also Featured... Eric Adams, Dave Aikins, Andy Bennett, Dan Davis, Sean Forney, Dara Naraghi, Chad Lambert, Tim Fischer, Twight Star Studio, Tony Miello, Justin Wasson, Bruce O Hughes, Scott DM Simmons, Stratos, Comic Related, Studio Akumakaze.

Also appearances By: Dan Taylor, Tom Williams, Dustin Carson, Lee Xopher, Pat Baumgardner, Joe Pruitt, Old World Comics, Crystal Ash, Brett Pinson,Kevin Leen, Broken Line Comics, Terence Hanley, Nate Lovett, Cheese Lord Comics, Chris Pritchard, Rusty Shackles, Jack Knifley, Aja Ash, Scott Bachman, Rodney Fyke, Kurt Einhaus, Chris Ehnot, Studio S, Ren Mckinzie of Blade's Edge Illustrations, Danny Cooper and Derek Watson Of Mutant Cactus, Victor Dandridge of Vantage House Productions

121609.jpg.34e096688b4f64262896416f8b1a067e.jpg

121610.jpg.d24ce63cd2da9502e65b578300fd8772.jpg

121611.jpg.8bcba123569b731847f0b6cda711c947.jpg

121612.gif.bbf9924f1799da3030c07d1a9ef169da.gif

121613.gif.73dea35708fa14760a222bdecbefd4b9.gif

sorry not a two day show, it's barely a one day show. You can see the whole room in about an hour. Will I still go for a day? Absolutely.

sorry not a two day show, it's barely a one day show. You can see the whole room in about an hour. Will I still go for a day? Absolutely.

lol. Sad but true. Unless they were planning on adding a ton of guests and opening up the floor to something larger than yeah you are 100% right. I will be blowing most of my money for the month the weekend before at Horrorhound in Columbus but I will still stop by at this event.

Sean any chance of getting some stuff by Larry Hama witnessed for Sig Series?

would be nice to have CGC/SS onsite...probably too late to get that going.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5470760#Post5470760

Here's a thread in the signature room gauging interest. If anyone wants to have a CGC presence at the show, speak up.

A full review of my visit at the con is coming.

Overheard lots of positive comments as I journeyed the dealer room..."awesome"..."very impressive"...were used the most. Positives from the dealers too...comments on how the Gem City people have grown this con over the past seven years.

In the meantime, here are a few photos I snapped as things began on Saturday morning...starting with an overview of the dealer floor.

6887168292_de9a2f11d3_b.jpg

For gold, silver and bronze this was by far the best aisle in the dealer room...the great Motor City guys, Disposable Heroes from Canton, OH and John Haines from Cleveland.

7033263421_3f7a293497_b.jpg

6887168066_8f64b1454a_b.jpg

6887167968_a0e1de6ed6_b.jpg

Artists row, and is that redneckley collecting art for this year's comic shirt?

6887167698_908c7242f4_b.jpg

6887167624_9bb3a9d539_b.jpg

6887167774_d54d4df470_b.jpg

A few early players in the game room. Lots of families with kids. I was impressed with the number of dads and sons buying on the dealer floor.

7033263113_46ec240e20_b.jpg

Finally, the best costume from the portion of the con I attended.

6887167536_e51ed9d482_b.jpg

I'll try to put together a quick recap for the first half of Saturday in the next day or so.