• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1 9.0 tidbits: Was a Mitch post used as a source by Hollywood Reporter?

6 posts in this topic

I'm sure you've all seen the PR coverage over the Action #1 9.0 today. Though Cage was not mentioned in the stories by most news outlets, he was mentioned in this story by Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nic-cage-stolen-superman-auction-record-260733

Based on the info presented and the fact that an old post by Stephen in this very forum is linked, I have a hunch the reporter googled up a blog post I wrote up on the book last month, and used the info as background. At the time I tried to get a comment for the record from Cage's publicist through BC's tv/film reporter, but couldn't pull it off. Will be interested to see if Hollywood Reporter end up getting a comment on it from him.

But something else (actually, a couple things) caught my eye:

Experts believe only about five others, all in private hands, are of comparable quality to this copy.

This also doesn't appear in the story about the book from other outlets. And based on how you interpret that, it's an interesting thing to say -- since most publicly-accessible experts wouldn't put it that way. Except maybe one:

The 8.5 is very very valuable book, possibly the 5th best copy in existence, its still Action 1, come on tth2 anybody would be proud to own that one, and someday you will wish to god you owned it in the future

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5139115&fpart=16

Did the HR reporter follow the link to the old Stephen post, and then stay to see what we were saying about the book presently? Seems possible.

The pr also states the book was sold in 1997 for a then-record $150,000. I don't think the price (presumably) Cage paid was a publicly available data-point before now, and this would make it a pretty early entry into the $100k club, though not the first.

And finally, of course, the book was up over $1 million by the end of the first day. Getting the popcorn out early for this one.

The story should come out about late nov after thanksgiving, from major article which is going to be published, but in show biz they could cancel or they could edit your asss out...should know before dec 1 and should provide a major impact on the market on the positive side. That is all I can say now, my hands are tied.

The story should come out about late nov after thanksgiving, from major article which is going to be published, but in show biz they could cancel or they could edit your asss out...should know before dec 1 and should provide a major impact on the market on the positive side. That is all I can say now, my hands are tied.

Are you saying...

a) you were a source for the Hollywood Reporter story? or

b) there is going to be info published about one or more additional high grade copies?

edit -- or actually I guess possibly

c) more info about the theft will come to light?

They could have obtained information provided to another media outlet, by me and either seen an advance of the article or talked to the writer, December is the actual publishing date, however, There are a few old time collectors who know what is really going on and they could be the source, unlikely but still possible. I will be adding a new installment of "journey of a comic book collector" if and when something is published., which should clear up some questions. No matter what, this is GREAT for all gold collectors. I do not have any information about the theft. Bidding on the book is already over 1 million......2011 AND 2012....the greatest years of GA collector history and we are living and collecting in the middle of it....

The gold board is the best source of information on Gold comics on the planet, with the combined years of collecting of all fourm members,nothing comes close.