• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hate (Peter Bagge) first printings

4 posts in this topic

Is there a way to tell if you have a first printing of Hate #1? I recently bought a copy that was supposed to be a first print, but I'm pretty sure it's not as there is an ad in the book selling copies of Hate #1-11 and the ad also mentioned that issues #1-5 were now back in print. The Fogel Underground Comix guide claims that the first printing has a $2.00 cover price, while the later printings have a higher cover price. However, my copy that I suspect is a later printing also has a $2.00 cover price. Any help with this would be appreciated!

After reading the indicia a little closer, I now see that it says near the bottom Third Printing, December 1992. doh!

Other differences I noticed:

1. In the indicia, my copy does say "Hate #1, Spring, 1990." but later in the indicia there is a 1992 copyright notice.

2. On the last page (page 24), there is an ad which mentions Hate issues #1-11 and that #1-5 are back in print. I'm assuming in a true first printing, there would be no mention of later issues or issues being "back in print".

3. Might just be a printing defect or damage, but the yellow in the "H" of the Hate logo is faded on the left side, but gradually goes back to the darker yellow of the rest of the logo.

As mentioned, mine does have a $2.00 cover price, as well. The Fogel Guide states that only the first printing has a $2.00 cover price, but I have found out now that is incorrect.