• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips On Going Through Magic Cards?

57 posts in this topic

Klozd24/7 (Brad) is an expert on Magic. Look him up.

Thanks Gary and Andy, glad to know I'm good for somethin' :) .

Pov, If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to PM me. I may actually be interested in purchasing the collection (thumbs u

Brad

And be sure to look for the valuable uncommons, which can be quite pricey in some cases (Force of Will & Wasteland for example) which you may not catch if you are just looking for rares. I usually sort collections first for mythcs/rares (which will bulk sell for more than just basic bulk), then resort looking for money uncommons.

Definitely find someone you trust who knows the game, I could look through a 10,000 card collection in maybe 3 hours and have most of the $20+ cards picked out, it's not hard at all if you know the cards, if you don't know the cards it's a huge waste of time to try to learn what you need to know just to sell one collection.

Bottom line, if you're interested in efficiency stop what you're doing and get help.

Last I saw stuff past 1992-93 was worth about nothing. Look for Alpha and Beta series, even the commons from those have some value. Legends and Arabian Knights have some valuable cards as well. Lotus and jewelry should be worth big money, and any restricted cards, time walk etc. See if there are any Force of Wills from Alliances, at one time they had value. The rest sell as a big lot to the local game shop, or donate to some kids.

Force of Will still has value

Definitely find someone you trust who knows the game, I could look through a 10,000 card collection in maybe 3 hours and have most of the $20+ cards picked out, it's not hard at all if you know the cards, if you don't know the cards it's a huge waste of time to try to learn what you need to know just to sell one collection.

Bottom line, if you're interested in efficiency stop what you're doing and get help.

Good call. Help that isn't looking to buy cards from you, btw.

Good call. Help that isn't looking to buy cards from you, btw.

It's fine if someone wants to buy cards, or work for cards, because there are plenty of reliable pricing sources out there, eBay and StarCityGames are probably the most used. If you find someone to help you and they want some cards just check the prices and make sure the deal is fair, or you can probably PM any of the people who have chimed in on this thread.

You don't really need someone to tell you what cards are worth, you just need someone to "cherry pick the keys" so to speak. You should sell anything that is not of significant value to a local gaming store, it's just not worth the hassle digging through trying to find cards you can sell for $2 or $3 each. Most stores that buy collections will look through everything and make you a decent offer.

Hi Pov,

The boards will help you for free. At least I will. I looked on google, and the guide to magic cards for ABU is a pretty good start.

ABU Magic card identifying

There are valuable cards in most expansions. Condition matters a lot. Some cards have been restored (color touch to black areas) so your comic book skills are needed. Even white bordered cards are worth money. Good luck. Someone mentioned posting some pictures, so if you want to do that we can help more.

Dan

Pov,

I am a Top Rated / Powerseller on eBay based on mainly selling Magic the Gathering cards. It is really tough to say what you may or may not have valuewise. I sell collections on consignment or outright buy them depending on what you might have.

PM me and maybe we can work something out.

-Brendan

Thanks inconceivable. That is very useful and clears up many questions for me! I am really surprised at the depth of detail within the Magic card world.

No problem. Just take your time. I don't think the bottom is going to fall out of them anytime soon. Don't start playing though. You will never sell anything.

Dan

And don't automatically assume when you come across a group of multiples of the same card that they're not rare/uncommon/valuable. Playing the game, you want to often stack your deck with the same card, especially the valuable ones, so you have a better chance of pulling that card as you play. His "organization" may have simply been his customized decks. (If any of that makes any sense, sorry.)

And don't automatically assume when you come across a group of multiples of the same card that they're not rare/uncommon/valuable. Playing the game, you want to often stack your deck with the same card, especially the valuable ones, so you have a better chance of pulling that card as you play. His "organization" may have simply been his customized decks. (If any of that makes any sense, sorry.)

This is true, 4 copies of a card is considered a playset. Most of the very high dollar cards are restricted to one copy per deck, but there are plenty of cards of decent value that are played more often in groups of 4 than as lone copies.

*sigh*

I sold all mine just before the incredible price jump for T1 power...

Sold a very minty Beta Lotus for $500... the buyer spilled coffee on it while he was opening the package... I got a little over $1000 for the rest of the Beta P9. Ugh.

Best of luck with this collection! :)

I did a decent amount of buying and selling at magictraders.com... never had a bad experience. Might be worth checking that out as well...

I assume the first step is to go through them and get them sorted by card? And can further assume if I have 50 or so of the same card it is of no value.

Don't believe this for a second. These cards are not like comic books. I deck takes a max of 4 of the same card. It is called a "play set". A lot of people, like me, have multiple decks and many times use the same cards, so, at any time a single player can own anywhere between 4-12 of the same card.

I bought a collection of cards that had 6 of the same card and put them up on eBay for $50 each "buy-it-now" and same buyer bought all of them.

Star City Games is a good resource. It lists all the cards and you can even look at an actual pic http://www.starcitygames.com

Star City is a little high on their values though, but not too bad

This site is a little more realistic on value http://store.tcgplayer.com/AdvancedSearch.aspx

But both would be a bit higher than an ebay price, because we all know ebay is the garage sale price...stupid ebay

So am I. I have sold thousands of cards from my home and over the past 4 years have probably made around $10,000 from them and none of them were moxes or the Lotus.

Last I saw stuff past 1992-93 was worth about nothing. Look for Alpha and Beta series, even the commons from those have some value. Legends and Arabian Knights have some valuable cards as well. Lotus and jewelry should be worth big money, and any restricted cards, time walk etc. See if there are any Force of Wills from Alliances, at one time they had value. The rest sell as a big lot to the local game shop, or donate to some kids.

This is wrong. There are a lot of cards that hold value up to $100 that are not Power Nine. Force of Wills are around $50,

Unlimited lands - $50-$125

Tarmogoyf - $90

Mana Drain - $125

Waste Land - $50

Mishra's Factory - $90

Lion's Eye Diamond - $40

I could go on all day, but the point is that in most of the there are cards valued at $20-$100 all the way up to the most recent sets.

About 4 years ago I bout a 13.000 collection for $75 and made around $1,000 for it. One card sold for $150. I bought at a yard sale 26 "dual lands" for $310 and sold them for around $1,000. At another yard sale I bought 11 binders of cards and sold just six of them for $300 plus what I sold all of the other valuable cards for. I have made a lot of money from buying and selling magic cards and they don't always have to be worth hundreds of dollars each. People have no problem paying $10-$40 for cards that they need for their decks. Look into these very care

*sigh*

I sold all mine just before the incredible price jump for T1 power...

Sold a very minty Beta Lotus for $500... the buyer spilled coffee on it while he was opening the package... I got a little over $1000 for the rest of the Beta P9. Ugh.

Best of luck with this collection! :)

I did a decent amount of buying and selling at magictraders.com... never had a bad experience. Might be worth checking that out as well...

I saw a Mox that had the writing in the card, just below the picture, torn off and still went for over $300. They don't call the "cardboard crack" for no reason.

So am I. I have sold thousands of cards from my home and over the past 4 years have probably made around $10,000 from them and none of them were moxes or the Lotus.

I sell about $10K a week, but my advise was considered !