• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The value of scans by duckduckmike

6 posts in this topic

Why do you do it...

I've been very neglectful in not adding scans of my books to my CGC registry lists. It doesn't take "a lot of time" relatively speaking, but sometimes I wonder why do it. So I made some pros and cons.

PRO:

Display great cover art

Show some condition quality for those "less than perfect" copies of old comics

Fun to browse when trying to remember which issue # is which story.

CON:

I'm not adding anything new by scanning another 9.8 copy of X-Men 201...212... 500... etc...

Takes time

Not a very good list, but it made me think that maybe unless I've got a Signature Series or, say, a Silver Age or Older Book, it's not an effort that really contributes.

But I'd love to hear arguments (meaning factual discussions) on what other people think. Thoughts? Motivation?

See more journals by duckduckmike

I'm definitely on the fence on this topic.

You make a valid point about only posting images in your sets that you deem worthy (Older high grade books, signature series, rare books, etc.) as, I imagine, it can become quite labor intensive for completionists and collectors with larger collections to try to scan and post everything they have and would guess that they would probably choose to do so with only their "key" books. This argument makes perfect sense to me from this perspective.

However, as a fan that likes to wander through the registry and view other sets, I find that I am always more attracted to sets that have more photos/scans. Even if they are images of common "filler" issues there is still a chance of being exposed to something new and interesting and I respect the dedication of the individuals that invest the time and effort to post scans/photos of all of their books.

The decision for me to post images is made easy as, of this post, I only have 21 slabbed books in my collection (hopefully soon to be 22 as I am bidding on a book that ends next week). I also had the images readily available as the company I use to insure my collectables asked me to keep photo documentation of my items in case of loss/damage. So I guess you could say that my motivation for posting images of my books is my OCD when it comes to documenting anything I collect, the hope that I may expose someone to a book they are not familiar with, and my insurance company asking me to keep recorded images of my books on hand.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual as to how detailed they want to present their collection on here and if it's worth their time. Any of us could go elsewhere to find libraries of cover scans if we wanted to (comicspriceguide.com has a load of member submitted cover scans for reference), but this site allows me the opportunity to interact with the collectors of some of these great books/sets which is why I'm here.

I agree with both points- not really a fan of looking through hundreds of filler copies of modern age books, but I really enjoy looking at scans of older books and variants/keys. Personally, I have scans and descriptions for all my books but that's because I only collect CGC copies of the books I love and I enjoy. With a couple exceptions, I'm not really looking to collect a whole run of something. Plus the scans give me a chance to look at my collection whenever I want without having to thumb through the boxes.

sig.jpg

I agree with both points- not really a fan of looking through hundreds of filler copies of modern age books, but I really enjoy looking at scans of older books and variants/keys. Personally, I have scans and descriptions for all my books but that's because I only collect CGC copies of the books I love and I enjoy. With a couple exceptions, I'm not really looking to collect a whole run of something. Plus the scans give me a chance to look at my collection whenever I want without having to thumb through the boxes.

sig.jpg

or you could always buy a 4gb pen drieve and keep all the scans on there to look at later

i have a 4gb pen and all my CGC's scaned on that drive think it's around 620-650 atm

Sorry my friend,

a) Although I'm sure you have good intentions, you're speaking a foreign language to me so I really have no idea what you're saying.

b) I like providing scans and descriptions on the Registry so others have a chance to check them out as well. :)

If you already have scans saved then I am fully behind the idea of giving your sets added visual depth.

If you haven't yet scanned your books, then it is worth it for many of the above reasons given by previous posters and to protect yourself for insurance purposes and against theft.