• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can the 80/90s junk go any lower?

6 posts in this topic

Here's a thought provoking piece for all you avid collectors out there: can the super high print run books of 1988-1993 go any lower? I would say that you pretty much can't give them away right now. I am trying to trim my comic collection a bit to focus on some nice books that I really want to own and part of my plan is to recycle some comic book capital (ie sell like crazy).

The only problem is, a lot of the stuff that I have that I want to sell is the average run of the mill books from 1988-1993. I have upwards of 20 copies of X-Force #1 (all still in the bag), countless copies of X-Men #1, Spider-Man #1, etc. Not to mention all the "common" stuff (like 5 copies of X-Factor 46 for instance, yes I know what you're thinking "X-Factor 46? What the heck?")

A lot of these came off of lots that I have bought from ebay this past year and a few others from a couple of entire collections that I have bought, but I am very quickly running out of space and don't need all these copies. Any way I can get any money from these things? Is it best to just ship them off to grandma's and let them sit there for 10-20 years hoping that they become hot one day?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

PS - I think I am the only insufficiently_thoughtful_person in the whole wide world that runs up a $10 ebay tab on free listing day. I put up a bunch of CGC books that I had since upgraded and was smart enough to do a bunch of reserve price auctions. I thought that that was included, not just the insertion fee. Oh well confused.gif

I wrote ebay a letter stating such and asking for a refund, but so far no such luck. I'll let you know what they tell me.

I don't know about today's market but I got rid of most all of my late 80s/early-mid 90s comics (Marvel and Image) on eBay about a year and a half ago and did very very well. I offered them in runs of 10 (i.e. X-Force 1-10, 11-20, etc.) or full crossovers (i.e. X-tinction Agenda, Clone Saga, etc.). Some did better than others and some did surprisingly well (X-Factor, non-MacFarlane Hulk, and to my surprise, Stormwatch more than exceeded my expectations). Made on average $3 to $4 a copy after all was said and done.

Make sure you have good clear, big images and a nicely laid out ad. Use html tricks as much as possible and vary your colors and font size to highlight what you want to emphasize.

Again, this was a while ago and the eBay market for these items may have depressed even more since then.

Jim

Oh yeah? Well everytime I see your name I think "Who let the dogs out! Whoof, Whoof"! grin.gif

The moniker came about when I first entered the Internet age and found I had to create a nickname for a chat group. Tried "All4One" (first thing that came to me) but it was taken. So I used Awe instead. I kinda liked it and have used it ever since. shocked.gif

Jim