• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Placing a Bid

4 posts in this topic

If I only got it for cover price.

In the latest Comicconnect.com auction is a copy of Action Comics #1. I was going to place a whopping $100,000 bid on this item. I mentioned this to my peers and they asked me the one thing that any comic collector would know not to ask. "What if you win?" After the first two sold for a million (8.0) and a million five (8.5) they would know that there is no way a 9.0 copy would sell for any less. Currently the bidding is a million three. I just thought it would be neat to bid on this historic book.

I told my father this and he mentioned if I won that somehow he would get the money for me. I think he remembers the time he wouldn't loan me $300 for a Daredevil #1 in what was a near mint copy. Then again I won't let him forget. I of course had to explain to him that this book would never be mine (at least not for a measly $100,000).

I missed the opening day and when I checked the bidding it was too late. It was already past $100,000. With 22 bids and the next bid that is allowed is 1,306,000.00 makes me think that might be slightly out of my ballpark. That's OK, I have my eye on one last bid for the year. I don't know it I will win or not but one has to try.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

PS. Thank you for everyone adding their own journals, especially about the Golden Age of books an era I truly know nothing about.

9845.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

The bids on the first 2 pages of the ComicConnect site are all over $2000. You have to wonder who spends that kind of money and how they're able to do so. For the average collector you would have to save up for awhile just to buy one book in that price range (or sell some of your other books to pay for it). I suppose if you're buying them for your business it makes sense, but there again someone else would be spending that kind of money to purchase them from you. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who marvels at this.

sig.jpg

The bids on the first 2 pages of the ComicConnect site are all over $2000. You have to wonder who spends that kind of money and how they're able to do so. For the average collector you would have to save up for awhile just to buy one book in that price range (or sell some of your other books to pay for it). I suppose if you're buying them for your business it makes sense, but there again someone else would be spending that kind of money to purchase them from you. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who marvels at this.

sig.jpg

Welcome to the Boards.

The final selling price was $2.16 MILLION! Wow. On top of that, this same book was previously stolen in 2000 and then found in a storage locker in April of this year (2011). Can you imagine finding this in a storage locker? Wow.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/action-comics-1-sells-2-16-million-auction-010326975.html