• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Timeline by Patricia Farrall

10 posts in this topic

Patience is a virtue.

I sent 14 books to CGC on 9-17-11, rather this is the date they were verified. Today, 11-26-11, I received the first 4 modern ones back. The dating on the invoice they returned with my order indicates that they are running about 7 weeks behind. I read the banter going back and forth about them being slow and I feel that they could increase their turn around time by hiring more employees as some suggest. However, I am older and patience is a virtue. I would prefer to have my books dealt with on a more personal level than to be rushed through a line as if I were checking out at Walm,art on Black Friday. Slow and steady is what gives you a higher grade on your books, the time to find the points that bring the grade up. I would not want CGC to go into mass production grading to compensate for my need to hold my comic that is now encased in a piece of plastic. These are the first 14 of nearly 2500 that I will eventually submit. My 10 year old grandson will have an awesome collection when he is older. The sad part is they will all be in plastic and he will not get to hold, feel and turn the pages of comic history.

See more journals by Patricia Farrall

2500 * $17 = Big $$$$ OUCH ! But seriously, those were moderns. Besides Fasttrack service, the Modern service is the fastest by 100%. There are many folks, myself included, that submitted non-moderns back in June/July that are just now getting graded. CGC does need more graders. They don't need more graders to churn them out in a week timeframe, they need them to meet their demand and to meet the expected service times. How would you feel if it took 3 weeks to get your dry cleaning back or it took 3 days to get a oil change? I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with that. Why should CGC be treated any different than any other business who advertises service times?

Kingcom99,

I also sent in some non-moderns (10 x $32) back in September that I have not heard back on other than they are verified. I agree with what you are saying, but does CGC read these posts? Has anyone ever had a comment from a Representative over a posting? Is what we are discussing here merely us blowing off steam or will the "higher ups" discuss this in their "Monday morning meeting"? I have no problem stating my displeasure if I deem the service I have received to be less than what I am paying for. My point being we need to become one voice to push change forward. If those of us who are not happy about turn around time make a call, send a note when you submit books, speak up at the ComicCon's around the USA - OCCUPY CGC - we can get their attention.

There have been times that I have written a journal and the powers that be have addressed the issue. Mind you, it wasn't due to any grading issue as much as it was to a site issue. As far as hiring more graders which seems like the best approach. how many people would be able to do the job and do it properly. I do not know what they get paid and am also not privy to their grading standards. I would love to give it a shot.

I have been patient when it comes to getting my books graded. I am not sending books into sell so I don't have to worry about my income being affected. I pay for the service upfront as everyone else and wait. If i didn't send them in the books would only be sitting here in boxes rather than there waiting to be graded. Once graded I can place them on the registry and discuss.

Currently all but one I have are for the SS. All are signed but waiting to be graded (sorry two are graded, just waiting for the shipped/safe marker. Writing CGC might help, calling them might help as well, but maybe finding someone who is willing to apply and then move to Florida to take the job. I still wish they were in New Jersey, then it would be easier for me to try to apply....or maybe I should just chance it anyway......

Thanks for Reading

These are the first 14 of nearly 2500 that I will eventually submit. My 10 year old grandson will have an awesome collection when he is older. The sad part is they will all be in plastic and he will not get to hold, feel and turn the pages of comic history.

Then why on earth are you wasting your money getting them slabbed? Especially the moderns :doh:

Callipygian,

I was left the books by my father who was a antique dealer. He became ill in early 2000 and passed in 2005. The books have been stored for almost 11 years; I do not know much about comics and what I do know I have read or looked up on the internet. The books priced 35 cents and cheaper are a good find, if they have a barcode move on and if they are graded they are worth far more than if they are not. I use Comiclink and Heritage to show me what is pulling in high dollars right now. I have submitted a Captain America #100 which was at $150,000 on ComicLink last night, I am not naive enough to think that mine will be graded as one of the better ones. I do not have the time or desire to try to grade these books myself. I just got back 4 - #1 Spawns, these were the moderns. I will save one for the boy and sell the other 3 to get money to have the older ones graded. Figuring my expenses, anything after $35.00 on a book is profit. This helps defer my outlay of cash and gives me $$ to submit more at a time. My statement may have been a wee bit dramatic, however, have you ever seen what 5 or 6 - 11 year old boys can do to a comic book? I do have some comics that will not be worth the money to have graded and he will get to hold and read these. Besides, comics aren't really his bag right now. He is into Pokemon and BeyBlade. I think once I get some more books graded I will be able to sell some on EBay. My method will help keep a steady cash flow.

I was left the books by my father who was a antique dealer. He became ill in early 2000 and passed in 2005. The books have been stored for almost 11 years; I do not know much about comics and what I do know I have read or looked up on the internet. The books priced 35 cents and cheaper are a good find, if they have a barcode move on and if they are graded they are worth far more than if they are not.

Far more? I wouldn't go that far, depends what titles and grades you're talking about. And why don't you like the barcode ones? With more recent books, it makes no difference in price if it has the bar code or the Direct Market art.

I just got back 4 - #1 Spawns, these were the moderns.

Sorry to hear this, most people make mistakes like this when they start out.

I will save one for the boy and sell the other 3 to get money to have the older ones graded. Figuring my expenses, anything after $35.00 on a book is profit.

Good luck with that. Unless they're 9.8 or better you've already lost money. Too bad you didn't ask for advice in Comics General before sending in books like this, it would've saved you a lot of money.

This helps defer my outlay of cash and gives me $$ to submit more at a time. My statement may have been a wee bit dramatic, however, have you ever seen what 5 or 6 - 11 year old boys can do to a comic book?

Slabbing them does not mean they can't be damaged, a kid could shake the hell out of one and ruin it anyway. Can't you just lock them away in a closet?

I think once I get some more books graded I will be able to sell some on EBay. My method will help keep a steady cash flow.

I sure hope you did better homework than I think you did. And doesn't selling the collection defeat the purpose of having a collection to give your grandkid? If you're only selling them to get money to slab more to sell to get more slabbed, then you're just wasting your time.

My 10 year old grandson will have an awesome collection when he is older. The sad part is they will all be in plastic and he will not get to hold, feel and turn the pages of comic history.

I have been collecting comics since I was about 8 or 9 years old. I am an artist, and I loooooooove paper ephemera. However, I have never fully understood this magical experience of *touching* the paper that so many people talk about here. Maybe because I have been touching it my whole life, it's lost it's magnificence to me?

I have historic newspapers, several hundred year-old books, artifacts and photographs from my immigrant grandparents and I have no desire to *feel* them with my bare hands in order to make them more special. The enjoyment for me comes in owning them, knowing their history and looking at for the rarities they are.

I think that's awesome that you're giving your grandkid a CGC collection - but if you have problems with him not being able to touch the comics, why don't you buy some low-grade books or TPBs that he can read by hand 30 years from now (when everything will sure been all digital)?

I will save one for the boy and sell the other 3 to get money to have the older ones graded. Figuring my expenses, anything after $35.00 on a book is profit.

Good luck with that. Unless they're 9.8 or better you've already lost money. Too bad you didn't ask for advice in Comics General before sending in books like this, it would've saved you a lot of money.

True. To take a little edge off of it - I've been here almost a year and have just submitted my first books. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what sells, what does't, grading, etc with slabs. You can easily pay $35 and slab a book, and you might only get $10 for it, if anything at all. I definitely didn't want to do that.

If you've got grandkids - you can afford to be patient. Stick around and read up on this stuff, get an understanding and then you'll be handing over something spectacular to your grandkids.