• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Hook's Drug Store Collection

24 posts in this topic

Not long ago my mother made an interesting discovery... a box of comics she found in her shed. I picked them up over Thanksgiving and I've been sorting through them this weekend.

My dad was a pharmacist and manager of a Hook's Drug store. Apparently, he bought a bunch of comics off the shelf in 1974/75. The collection consists of 142 comics. Most are VF to VF/NM. They appear unread so I think he just salted them away thinking they'd be worth something. The comics were stored in about 20 large Hook's envelopes inside a plastic file box.

Here is the Marvel group.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_Marvel.jpg

Here is the DC group (a large part of the collection).

HooksDrugstoreCollection_DC1.jpgHooksDrugstoreCollection_DC2.jpg

A bunch of Altas #1 issues.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_Altas.jpg

The Charlton group.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_Charlton.jpg

And a few Gold Keys.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_GoldKey.jpg

Pretty cool to look through these. Wish I'd have known about them when my father was alive. Would have been interesting to hear the story of why he bought them all.

That's absolutely awesome that your Mom found these after such a long time.

There are some nice books in the lot. I'd LOVE to happen upon a pile of KAMANDI's like that!

Pardon me for not knowing, but are you a collector yourself?

If so, were any of these already in your collection?

Or are they titles that you have no interest in collecting?

Even if the latter is the case, I'd still hang onto them ( or at least a nice crodd section of them ) if I were in a similar sitch & make them a part of my collection, just because my Dad had put them aside.

Jim

Man that really brings back memories.The Marvel bunch is what I first started buying off the shelf.Champions #1,being advertised in earlier books,had me thinking that I was in on the ground floor of greatness.Hoping for another Avengers #1.

Gongrats Norinn Radd.Great find!

Nice books in pretty decent shape. Can't imagine what a goldmine you'd've found if events had taken place 14 years earlier.
Yeah, that would've been nice. ;)

My main interest is Batman. Sadly there aren't any Batman comics except these two.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_BatmanFamily1.jpgHooksDrugstoreCollection_BraveBold120.jpg

Nice books in pretty decent shape. Can't imagine what a goldmine you'd've found if events had taken place 14 years earlier.
Yeah, that would've been nice. ;)

My main interest is Batman. Sadly there aren't any Batman comics except these two.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_BatmanFamily1.jpgHooksDrugstoreCollection_BraveBold120.jpg

:cloud9: Holy I want that Batman Family 1, Mike Grell cover

Not long ago my mother made an interesting discovery... a box of comics she found in her shed. I picked them up over Thanksgiving and I've been sorting through them this weekend.

My dad was a pharmacist and manager of a Hook's Drug store. Apparently, he bought a bunch of comics off the shelf in 1974/75. The collection consists of 142 comics. Most are VF to VF/NM. They appear unread so I think he just salted them away thinking they'd be worth something. The comics were stored in about 20 large Hook's envelopes inside a plastic file box.

Here is the Marvel group.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_Marvel.jpg

Here is the DC group (a large part of the collection).

HooksDrugstoreCollection_DC1.jpgHooksDrugstoreCollection_DC2.jpg

A bunch of Altas #1 issues.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_Altas.jpg

The Charlton group.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_Charlton.jpg

And a few Gold Keys.

HooksDrugstoreCollection_GoldKey.jpg

Pretty cool to look through these. Wish I'd have known about them when my father was alive. Would have been interesting to hear the story of why he bought them all.

Nice little find. :applause::luhv: