• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buying modern at auctions/via comiclink posted by BIGDave72

6 posts in this topic

9.8 for under 25 bucks

I was looking at some of my purchases this past year, and i was pleasantly surprised. I managed to pick up four cgc 9.8.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #6 $17 dollars

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #7 $23 dollars

Uncanny X-men #248 $19 dollars

Rom #18 $15 dollars

I know that once you add in shipping and auction fees it adds a few bucks. But think of it this way, if today modern slabbing costs $17 bucks (that at the slowest cheapest tier), plus shipping and handling both ways. However slabbed these books and then sent them for auction lost money. My point is that it does not make sense to send moderns books to slab if i can purchase them at these levels.

thanks for reading

See more journals by BIGDave72

It's a storm of variables. I've had books I got graded from silver that came back as midgrades and I find people won't pay below market on the book for a guaranteed quality... but they'll over bid on the same grade on a subjective auction of "comic is pretty nice shape..."

On moderns, if you want to make money, you put up the price you need to make back. Obviously this person just wants to liquidate. Obviously, their cost per book could be prorated by them using member coupons, or maybe they bought a lot of slabs from someone and are breaking them apart, but yes at the end of the day,

You just gotta shake your head and buy that cheap slab!

The market on moderns and coppers has really plummeted to the point it only makes sense to get them graded if you want to collect them. There is almost no way to recoup your investment selling them at auction. Ebay is full of late era 9.8 comics that sell for less than the price of grading. Of course, now people don't get many graded so trying to build a run is nearly impossible unless you submit them yourself.

Just saw a half dozen Amazing Spider Man CGC slabs from the 200s and 300s list here on the boards for less than $20 a slab.

Are they "worth" more? Maybe, but at the end of the day these things are only worth somewhere between what someone will pay for it(not what some guide says they are worth) and what it would cost to replace it (though dont just hit BIN from the first lister on ebay!)

Slab what makes sense. When I look at buying a raw comic I check GPA, and my head does the math, if Raw price + $30 doesnt add up to GPA, its not a deal. Sometimes I dont care. But most times I do.