• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another WD thread; ok maybe more of a question

18 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm kinda new to WD; I'm just reading the TPB since it's cheaper, instead of buying singles (which is kinda insane ) :ohnoez:

So I have some question:

on some auctions; it said that it has a black "Mature Reader" warning on them, and some has white?? Why is that?? did the printing press ran out of black ink??

How do you know which one is more rare?? some claim black, some white, well which one is it?? any official numbers/comments from Image??

If there is a B/W variant, how come CGC census doesn't registered it??

if these question has been asked before, pls point me in the right direction, a linky would be helpful. :foryou:

It was always suppose to be white.

When they went to print there was a mistake with the printer and instead of printing the black 1st and then the white overtop the process was backwards. So the white went 1st and then the black completely covered the white lettering. (Kirkman told me this.)

So the black version was printed 1st.

During the printing process the mistake was realized and they stopped printing and fixed it. Kirkman wanted the white version because he thinks it's cooler looking.

Since it happened this way, the black copies were shipped together to stores and likewise for the whites. So no one knew in the early days there were 2 variants. Since all the books at the LCS would have been the same in your area. With no knowledge there were variants + the indicas inside the books being the same they were graded by CGC without distinction from the start. It doesn't make sense for them to try and change it now. 2c

There have been estimates about how many of each there are but the truth is no one knows for sure. Kirkman has said he believes there are less of the white version but eBay listings consistently point the other way.

Bottom line. No one knows exactly how many of each there are, and therefore neither gets the price bump in demand. Don't pay more for either copy. Just be glad to own a WD #1.

People on here joke all the time with each other about it. The Black owners say they have the 1st print and the white is a reprint. lol While White owners say they have the rare copy cause Kirkman said so. :sumo:

Ha, I caught you Jerel. It was a funny post! No need to delete.

I'm in agreement with maloney.

They should have kept making more Police Academy movies. :sumo:

lol

It was Mahoney not Maloney! MaHoney MaHoney MaHoney

Sincerely,

"Phoney Baloney Mahoney Maloney" aka Malogna pronounced Ma-Log-Na (thumbs u

Also the ONLY difference is the colour of Mature Readers which CGC does not recognize as being distinguishable.

At the end of the day does it matter? I recently gave my opinion on the possible grade of a raw #1. They told me while I was looking at it that they had the more rare black label version. doh!

I just sold a white label copy last week where the buyer had to have the rare white version. (shrug)

It was always suppose to be white.

When they went to print there was a mistake with the printer and instead of printing the black 1st and then the white overtop the process was backwards. So the white went 1st and then the black completely covered the white lettering.

So the black version was printed 1st.

During the printing process the mistake was realized and they stopped printing and fixed it.

So black is an error print = worth more :sumo:

Well screw you guys. I took a blue sharpie to my #1 and now it says mature readers in big blue letters across Rick's face. Mine is truly a rare 1 of 1!!

:whee:

^^ going to crack my double signed 9.8 right now..going with green sharpie

hm

At the end of the day does it matter?

+1 I agree.

I used to own both copies. I had that need to own everything WD. But with the recent variant craze + foreign editions I've broken that habit. I sold one of my #1's and used the money to buy another expensive comic for my collection.

Wow...alot of good input here....

I tend to agree with everybody.... at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter AND it's so small of a variation....

So all those people saying the print run is only 3,000 or 10,000 for black label are just a load of BS?? Is there any actual numbers of the whole print run (B or W)??

Another question: What's up with those WD serbian variants??? why not a french variant?? or mexican?? or cuban??

Has there been any other Image comics with a serbian variant?? Is Kirkman serbian?? Just wondering

Wow...alot of good input here....

I tend to agree with everybody.... at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter AND it's so small of a variation....

So all those people saying the print run is only 3,000 or 10,000 for black label are just a load of BS?? Is there any actual numbers of the whole print run (B or W)??

Exactly. No one knows the distribution although 4,000 and 3,000 are the common numbers people keep quoting without being able to list a source.

The total print run was 7,266. Source: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2003/2003-10.html

Another question: What's up with those WD serbian variants??? why not a french variant?? or mexican?? or cuban??

Has there been any other Image comics with a serbian variant?? Is Kirkman serbian?? Just wondering

It was probably the Serbian company Lavirint (www.stripovi.com) and the Argentina company Ovni Press starting the process. I only say that because they seemed like odd choices to me as well.