• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will happen 50 years from now?

67 posts in this topic

There is much truth here! Paper is a truly tactile thing. It has look and feel and smell and has a particular sound when you leaf through various types of paper

I totally agree, but this really has nothing to do with paper (I'm no fan of e-books), and has everything to do with demographics.

Just look at the sheer number of bigtime collectors getting out, massive collections coming up for sale, and top books being listed on the various auction/sales sites.

This is the start of the "Old Guard Exodus" and while these are getting scooped up by collectors and speculators right now, I see far more grey beards cashing out in the years to come, than young blood coming in.

FOAD

Thats a bit harsh isnt it 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Harsh? Yes. But not nearly as smug and arrogant as his:

Good thing quotes, they give you quite a clue as to what you're actually talking about.

BTW, he still doesn't get it. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Clueless. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

In 50 years no one will care and if you bring them up someone will say "comic whats?"

50 years ago people used to collect decorative pansy holders...you can probably guess where that market is today.

In 50 years no one will care and if you bring them up someone will say "comic whats?"

50 years ago people used to collect decorative pansy holders...you can probably guess where that market is today.

this whole 50 year thing is kinda silly. Thats a lot of time. The correct answer is "Who knows?" and for all of us over 40, "Who cares." Sure society changes and outgrows its cultural interests. Maybe comics will be one of them. But its pure speculation.

There have been a lot of comparisons to other stuff, and sure, some make sense, and others are a real stretch. And ys, we have a demographics problem in our comics world that appears to be fatal. At some point. In the future.

But before too many of you "see the light" and jump ship for fear of what will be 50 years from now, here's one more comparison perhaps closer to our home. Do you think Mickey Mouse will still be a valuable licensed property in 50 years?

Lots of similarities to Spidey, Superman, etc.

Owned and and marketed by a huge worldwide corporation,

Powerful lobbies in Congress sretching out copyright limits to infinity.

Licensed out the kazoo till you cant turn around w/o seeing a toy, pillowcase etc with them on it.

Successful in many media: print, film, TV

Big difference: Mickey gets em young!! Comics no longer do. and Mickey is written for kids, comics now are for teens and adults.

Im interested in ideas as to Mickey's viability, because I think he has a future far closer to our stuff than buggy whips, daisy clovers, Whitman Samplers etc, etc

Good thing quotes, they give you quite a clue as to what you're actually talking about.

OK, fair point. Reading it back, it does come over that way. That wasn't actually my intention at the time, but I was writing on the back of a fairly big slanging match with my wife, so some of those feelings may have spilled over. sorry.gif

I'll give up on the actual issue at hand as I think we're arguing over two separate points here.

OK, fair point. Reading it back, it does come over that way. That wasn't actually my intention at the time, but I was writing on the back of a fairly big slanging match with my wife, so some of those feelings may have spilled over. sorry.gif

I'll give up on the actual issue at hand as I think we're arguing over two separate points here.

smile.gifhi.gif

this thread reminds me of the conan o'brien skit "in the year 2000".

anyway, fifty years from now I doubt I'll still be collecting comics... I'll be 78, and probably interested only mildly in them. Perhaps I'll still have my trades and the like, but I'll have probably sold off my collection or given it to one of my children (assuming I have some).