• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird Fantasy 19 help plus a question

43 posts in this topic

All this talk of Atlas made me pull an Atlas book from the stack, Men's Adventures # 21 with a cool cover which mirrors the splash of the first and best story of the issue. Joe Sinnott delivers a great job as you can see in the two pages below. What surprised me the most had nothing to do with the story but, assuming that Joe inked his own job, his inking on this story is soooo different to what he is praised for doing on Kirby's pencils. Never stopped to think about these differences until today for some reason.

MenAdv21-Story1-SinnottSplash.jpg

MenAdv21-Story1-SinnottPage.jpg

The second job is a little ditty by Stan I believe about a set of three brothers who always fight and end up killing each other in order to get selected to the soviet secret police and thereby showing they are untrustworthy. The story ends with them on their way to Hell still bickering and as Stan puts it: "Oh well! Even down there we'll be better off than living in Russia!" All in the subtlety.

MenAdv21-Story2-InfantinoPage.jpg

Subtlety that sorely lacks even more in the next Stan story about clams as UFOs. Yes, you read that correctly. Stan never did like horror stories, did he? He had to force himself and it shows clearly when he just gave up and half tongue-in-cheek delivered a clunker like this one ...

MenAdv21-Story3-KidaClamPage.jpg

Then Gil Evans gives us He makes me kill! I scanned the first and last page. From the first page to the last panel, we are made to belive that the narrator is the guy wielding the gun, forced into his job by his boss through threats, when it turns out that the narrator is the gun. Not the only such story since I believe DC had a story about a bullet (?) and recently in the rebooted Unknown Soldier, a story was told from the perspective of an AK-47 but at least on that one we knew, here, it's the twist ending and a violent / graphic panel for an Atlas book.

MenAdv21-Story4-EvansSplash.jpg

MenAdv21-Story4-EvansPage.jpg

The last story marks a return of Kida with a more solid job on the pencils. You should not be surprised that the girl in the splash is in fact a robot.

MenAdv21-Story5-KidaSplash.jpg

All this talk of Atlas made me pull an Atlas book from the stack, Men's Adventures # 21 with a cool cover which mirrors the splash of the first and best story of the issue. Joe Sinnott delivers a great job as you can see in the two pages below. What surprised me the most had nothing to do with the story but, assuming that Joe inked his own job, his inking on this story is soooo different to what he is praised for doing on Kirby's pencils. Never stopped to think about these differences until today for some reason.

Joe inked his early work. He definitely did a much job when he started with Kirby's pencils, plus he had quite a few years of experience under his belt by then.

There is an overabundance of straight on views and precise 90 degree profiles in his art that makes it a bit awkward to read more than one of his stories at a time.

The second story they indicate as being either Kane or Infantino. I definitely see lots of Infantino in it -- and I like it.