• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hero Initiative JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA books.

239 posts in this topic

So people may not remember because its been out of the headlines for a while but a DC blank does exist and many artists such as Frank Quietly and Alex Ross are actually contributing their services. This got a lot of people excited and then it seemed that unless you followed the Hero Initative on twitter that was the end of it.

Well it turns out that TONIGHT the first 33 covers are being auctioned off at a local store in LA WTFFFFFFF

that is ridiculous at least with ebay everyone had a fair chance to bid and win their favorite book and sure they have proxy bidding but even then your chances get much lower of ACTUALLY winning and advertising for this was SO BAD that people didn't even know or at least no sketch enthusiast that I know of (which pretty much means the prominent ones) knew about this.

At least when they auctioned off these hero books before they did so at conventions like Megacon or NYCC giving at least a wider possibility for people to participate at a greater capacity.

just my two cents but i think hero initiative really dropped the ball on this.

It will be interesting to see what the Alex Ross cover sells for tonight because chances are its not even close to what it could of gotten at C2E2 or Megacon or Ebay.

lets just hope some of these at least get SS'ed

http://www.heroinitiative.org/NewsDetail.asp?NewsId=259

now if you are interested in one of the remaining 60 something odd covers and weren't just intending of picking up the elusive Alex Ross, there are two more auction dates and at least now you can prepare a proxy bid if you are not in the respective areas, some great books are still up for grabs but for my liking the better Sam Kieth book is being sold tonight and the Alex Ross but people interested in Frank Quietly, John Romita Sr, George Perez and Simonson still have a good chance

So send in your bids and support the hero initiative but add that they handled this pretty lame compared to the previous 4 auctions they did.

your friendly neighborhood spideyfan

From what I was told....DC Comics did NOT want the books sold on Ebay, that was a condition for them providing the blank, thats why Hero went this route....if it was up to Hero, I am sure the books would have been sold on Ebay.....the Ultimate Spiderman 100's were sold at different shows, I think SOME of the Hulks were as well, then some on Ebay.... not totally sure tho.....

Ever since, all hero Blanks have been on Ebay....which you would think you would get the most bang for your buck....

As to why DC would not want these books on Ebay? Who knows.....

Like you said, there is a proxy bid available if you can't attend. It doesn't allow you to snipe like you could on ebay, but I'm not sure it makes it too much tougher to actually win if you want one.

However, you're right...by taking these off of ebay, they are likely going to see a dropoff in participation and thus proceeds. I believe moving them from live auctions to ebay was an effort to realize higher prices and wider availability. From what I've seen, it worked, so I'm not sure why it went back. (shrug)

From what I was told....DC Comics did NOT want the books sold on Ebay, thats why Hero went this route....if it was up to Hero, I am sure the books would have been sold on Ebay.....the Ultimate Spiderman 100's were sold at different shows, I think SOME of the Hulks were as well, then some on Ebay.... not totally sure tho.....

Didn't know that. hm

Like you said, there is a proxy bid available if you can't attend. It doesn't allow you to snipe like you could on ebay, but I'm not sure it makes it too much tougher to actually win if you want one.

However, you're right...by taking these off of ebay, they are likely going to see a dropoff in participation and thus proceeds. I believe moving them from live auctions to ebay was an effort to realize higher prices and wider availability. From what I've seen, it worked, so I'm not sure why it went back. (shrug)

well Im not too familiar with proxy bidding in general, if you get outbid do you get notified and you get to rebid? and in plus its not all proxy and there is a live auction so unless they instantly tell you that you got outbid so you can up the ante then you really cant win

and is proxy biding like silent biding? if you email them saying 800$ will they email back saying someone already put 900?

Not upset....maybe some of the blanks I would want will sell for LOWER!!!!

yea they might sell for lower but unless you plan on using batman skills to relocate the winning books and then make a deal with the winning bidder it still lowers your chances and then again it goes to the fact that not all people who win books opt for the free signature series authentication

And almost all the Spider-man hero books except for a good 10 or were sold at cons and Ive still been unable to track down alot of them, ive managed to find a lot of them but the Alan Davis and Wieringo ones still allude me, live auctions suck....

The only reason I knew about this at all was the CAF newsletter sent by Colin Solan. I proxy bid before the deadline. I was contacted once before the deadline and told I could up my bid bc I was tied on a couple books. As far as the process , I was told, you put your max bid in like ebay I suppose, but as far as I know you don't get any notice or chance to rebid tonight. Terrible time of the year for it with the holidays but I guess those who donate money before the end of the year don't mind the timing.

Good luck on tracking the USM 100s. I recently obtained a couple HI books (or in the process of) so I'm somewhat on the hunt as well lol

As luck would have it I was able to attend the actual auction. My brother lives in L.A. and he 's a new dad, so it was a perfect reason to go. The auction was an awesome experience. I got to meet Joel and Jesse, as well as artists Tony Fleecs, Bill Morrison, Mark Dos Santos, Scott Koblish, Norm Rapmund, Mike Kunkel, Tone Rodriguez, and Chris Moreno. Mark Waid was also there! Getting to meet these guys face to face was so awesome. I got some great books including the Sam Kieth book, although I was certain Jesse was going to roll me in the parking lot for it. :baiting:

Cos was right as far as DC being the ones who are responsible for the live auction setting. I would advise the lucky Florida show goers to participate in the upcoming auctions. The books themselves are some of the best ever. As soon as I get back to Colorado I'll try and post some pictures. There were definitely some bargains to be had and a few went higher than I thought they would

A big thanks to Joel Elad and Jesse for making me feel welcome and hanging out afterwards, it was really awesome meeting you guys face to face, and all the HERO guys and gals, it was a truly wonderful experience!