• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St Louis forums

95 posts in this topic

I was a member there for a few minutes. Long enough to pester Dupcak (who was holding court there at the time) and get banned. :D

What was your ID?

I did not expect you to reply.

Going to make me look it up? *sigh*

Found it.

http://forum.stlcomics.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=283

I had already found it.

For the longest time, I would track variant prices by hand. I used to use hand written sheets and excel spreadsheets. As I tried to track more and more data, I guess I got lazy, and instead of writing it down, or saving it on something computerized, I was content to just post it online over there with the intent to go back and be able to mine whatever information I would need.

For a long time while the board was down, I continued to track prices. When I was informed that a ton of data and posts, research and discussion was lost, I quit. I think I took the loss of that data personal. It was alot of time, but I had enjoyed it, and thought that whatever I was tracking could be used, by someone.

I still do not think I am over it.

Sorry to hear Harry. I think I've heard an iteration of this story when I PM'd you about the project I was considering.

The STL forums is still highly regarded by variant collectors (at least the ones I hear from), and some of the latent posts can be found when searching online and serve as a big assist to new entrants.

There are also a few archive sources - some private and some open source - which have basically made a copy of the entire Internet. Not sure how important it would be for you to retrieve it, but depending on how long ago, some of your contributions on those boards may be recoverable.

Not going to go into details here, nor can I make any promises that the lost data can be recovered, but you're welcome to PM me about it. (thumbs u

We should talk. I will PM you in the next couple of days.

(thumbs u

Personally I don't think current boardies cares that much about either the Leder/PGX fiasco or the Ewert/CGC fiasco these days. But it's like your hatred of SLT compels you to dredge up the past instead of just letting it fade away in to history.

It's both strange and sad you can't let it go and move on.

Hello Davenport-

I think it is cool of you to speak up for the STL boards and all, but I did not take the OP's post to be an attack.

He just stated an amusing fact about an observation he made regarding a website, and it was true. It just happened to be STL. It would have been funny if it was any other website.

I did however get some books beat to hell due to poor packing though.

stick with socks, they generally survive shipping very well :baiting:

Some people gotta complain about everything....

:whistle:

Dear RMA,

I recently got a Conan 1 reprint, but it looks exactly like a Conan 1.

How do I know if I have a variant? Please Advise

For the longest time, I would track variant prices by hand. I used to use hand written sheets and excel spreadsheets. As I tried to track more and more data, I guess I got lazy, and instead of writing it down, or saving it on something computerized, I was content to just post it online over there with the intent to go back and be able to mine whatever information I would need.

For a long time while the board was down, I continued to track prices. When I was informed that a ton of data and posts, research and discussion was lost, I quit. I think I took the loss of that data personal. It was alot of time, but I had enjoyed it, and thought that whatever I was tracking could be used, by someone.

I still do not think I am over it.

Sorry to hear Harry. I think I've heard an iteration of this story when I PM'd you about the project I was considering.

The STL forums is still highly regarded by variant collectors (at least the ones I hear from), and some of the latent posts can be found when searching online and serve as a big assist to new entrants.

There are also a few archive sources - some private and some open source - which have basically made a copy of the entire Internet. Not sure how important it would be for you to retrieve it, but depending on how long ago, some of your contributions on those boards may be recoverable.

Not going to go into details here, nor can I make any promises that the lost data can be recovered, but you're welcome to PM me about it. (thumbs u

We should talk. I will PM you in the next couple of days.

(thumbs u

I counted 54 crawls from the Wayback Machine between 2004-2011, with the most activity in the years 2006 and 2007.

The frequent captures in those two years can be accounted for by more activity regarding changes to the site, migration, site upgrades, etc. The Back Issue section seems to have the most captured data, but I really only took a quick look. This open source resource can often be extremely useful when things go *poof* online, but it may also require a great deal of time to dig through.

With the holidays coming, I thought I'd give you something to start with in case I'm not checking the boards regularly. If after spending some time, you still can't find anything that speaks to the data which was lost, let me know. (thumbs u

Personally I don't think current boardies cares that much about either the Leder/PGX fiasco or the Ewert/CGC fiasco these days. But it's like your hatred of SLT compels you to dredge up the past instead of just letting it fade away in to history.

Hello Davenport-

I think it is cool of you to speak up for the STL boards and all, but I did not take the OP's post to be an attack.

He just stated an amusing fact about an observation he made regarding a website, and it was true. It just happened to be STL. It would have been funny if it was any other website.

I was mainly responding to the nonsense about getting booted due to some imaginary STL "in crowd".

One of the main reasons STL caught fire was James had an extremely high tolerance for free speech. When Comicspriceguide got a "marketing partner" (CGC) and cracked down on allowing open debate on their messageboard, throngs of consumers moved over to STL to continue the conversation.

Moderators would've had to present James some strongly conclusive evidence before anyone got banned.

Hello Davenport-

I was mainly responding to the nonsense about getting booted due to some imaginary STL "in crowd".

One of the main reasons STL caught fire was James had an extremely high tolerance for free speech. When Comicsbuyersguide got a "marketing partner" (CGC) and cracked down on allowing open debate on their messageboard, throngs of consumers moved over to STL to continue the conversation.

Moderators would've had to present James some strongly conclusive evidence before anyone got banned.

Are you referring to comicspriceguide.com?

Yes. (thumbs u :grin: Corrected, but you were too fast. :blush::sorry:

That was a strange, barely inhabitable forum community of comic geeks. I think that's where I may have first seen you posting.

STL has a GREAT section on Marvel Mead folders and ancillary items. I refer to it all the time. I also use their variant sections as a reference as they come up pretty prominently in searches.

That was a strange, barely inhabitable forum community of comic geeks. I think that's where I may have first seen you posting.

Yep, that was my first comic book forum. (thumbs u

It devolved rapidly due to heavy-handed mods (fearful of offending CGC), which led to a mass exodus over to STL.

Yep, that was my first comic book forum. (thumbs u

It devolved rapidly due to heavy-handed mods (fearful of offending CGC), which led to a mass exodus over to STL.

Like I said, it was a strange message board experiment. The only redeeming part of the whole experience is that I got to virtually meet a bunch of cool UG collectors - some I still keep in touch with, and a few are members on these boards who I have met in person.

STL has a GREAT section on Marvel Mead folders and ancillary items. I refer to it all the time. I also use their variant sections as a reference as they come up pretty prominently in searches.

Thanks for the kudos... I work hard on that gallery and update the pics all the time. There is a lot of good info in the galleries expecially if you are interested in variants of any kind.

Hello Davenport-

One of the main reasons STL caught fire was James had an extremely high tolerance for free speech. When Comicspriceguide got a "marketing partner" (CGC) and cracked down on allowing open debate on their messageboard, throngs of consumers moved over to STL to continue the conversation.

And I supposed Iron Maniac doesnt have a vendetta against me?Answer carefully.

Thanks for the kudos... I work hard on that gallery and update the pics all the time. There is a lot of good info in the galleries expecially if you are interested in variants of any kind.

You deserve it, Roger. Your research and devotion to certain things is second to none.