• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Origins of Comics' exhibit at Yale University, Connecticut Dec 2011

9 posts in this topic

Monday i'm heading off to Yale University in New Haven, CT, to see their Dec exhibit 'Origins of Comics.' Looks like they have some of the 1830-1880's percursors on display, including our favorite Obadiah Oldbuck, and the 1833 'Histoire de Mr Jabot' by Toppfer.

As an aside, they also have a 1454 Gudenberb Bible near there. Looks like it runs till end of 2011 if anyone else might want to go. Anyone else seen it already? Hope anyone who enjoys golden age of comics gets a chance to learn more about the even earlier origins of comics; i'm excited to see these in person! Yale's Beinecke Library Exhibit 'Origins of Comic Books'

The Yale University 'Origins of Comic Books' was a great exhibit,

especially for those that have never seen these 150 yr old books before.

There were 2 displays and about 20 total items, so only took about 30

minutes to look at the whole thing. Was very cool to see Rudoplphe

Toppfer's book, along with the others, right in front of me.

Unfortunately they are behind glass so you can only see whatever pg the

curator turned them too.

The library itself is a rare book collectors

dream- the 500 yr old Gutenberg bible was just a few feet away, but

unless you have the credentials, you cannot browse the shelves at all.

Its incredible to see words/pictures combined in books 80 yrs before

Action #1! These books would be an eye opener to those who still think

comics started in the 1930's and here is the proof. I should add the

items went up to 1880, so there was no winsor mccay, yellow kid, or

items from that era.

Alas, the folks at the library wouldnt let me take any photos for some reason. I didnt want to sneak one in and get in trouble :( Here's another link to another preview of it. I guess a yahoo image search for rudolphe toppfer or obadiah oldbuck would do the trick. I myself am convinced rodolphe toppfer (1799-1847) is definitely the starting point for comics evolution. I wonder what happened from 1860- 1890s that there wasnt any progress or continuation. Juxtapose Magazine Article on Yale Exhibit