• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 11 GA Acquisitions of 2011. Post 'em if you got 'em.

424 posts in this topic

those'll do just fine and dandy as candy, pons. loved 'em live. you've been in love with the jojo, out of this world and mm for as long as i've known you.

p.s. odd, but the scanner somehow makes the ubiquitous transfer stain on the ootw seem prominent, whereas it is NOT that way in hand. i recall telling you that it had very little transfer compared to "the usual" when we were playing with it.

those'll do just fine and dandy as candy, pons. loved 'em live. you've been in love with the jojo, out of this world and mm for as long as i've known you.

p.s. odd, but the scanner somehow makes the ubiquitous transfer stain on the ootw seem prominent, whereas it is NOT that way in hand. i recall telling you that it had very little transfer compared to "the usual" when we were playing with it.

And that, my dear friend, is a very long time :)

My only real acquisitions of 2011 worth mentioning. Since a sold my copy of CSS 22 a year or so ago I've been missing it ever since. I was hoping to find a nice copy at a reasonable price but then the prices sky rocketed right after I sold mine.

My father loves the cover on CSS 22 and when the opportunity came up to grab this nice copy from a fellow boardie he was nice enough to split the cost with me.

The UWC 7 is a book that I've been looking for for quite some time. I've never been able to find a presentable and affordable copy. Love this one and it will do fine until I can find a nicely centered mid grade.

CrimeSuspenstories22cgc60cowboards.jpg

UWC7frnt.jpg

Madhouse Of Mystery

Another twofer.

Dr. Bill Neff was a stage magician who specialized in "spook shows" - creepy shows in movie theaters that included things like "ghosts" flying above the heads of the audience. He starred in his own Street and Smith comic book "Ghost Breakers." These 1940s booklets were used to promote his magic shows. Each one contains a Dr. Neff comic story by Bob Powell. Unlisted in the Guide and unknown to me until this year.

118943.jpg

Mr. BOOT, I am another one of your biggest fans! As a Powell enthusiast, this Dr. Neff material is fantastic. Thanks for showing us all these books and the interior scan on this one.

Thanks, Scrooge! You are one of my heroes. Admire your taste and always love your posts of great and often offbeat funny books.

BTW, I hope you don't start collecting Big Little Books, unless they are the "All Pictures" kind with comics inside! I like seeing the interior pages of comics you have - wouldn't be the same with BLBs!

BOOT -

Those are really some amazing finds. I love seeing cool things I never knew existed.

Thanks so much for posting them. (thumbs u

You are certainly welcome! Thanks to YOU, another one of my heroes, for the jaw-dropping books you post here and for your outstanding successful comic business!

Mr. BOOT, I am another one of your biggest fans! As a Powell enthusiast, this Dr. Neff material is fantastic. Thanks for showing us all these books and the interior scan on this one.

Me too. Looking at BOOT's collection, I am feeling a bit sheepish that I ever used words like "rare" or "difficult" about the stuff that I collect. At least for me, BOOT raises the bar several notches on both fronts.

You're too modest, tb! The stuff you post here makes me drool. I love hunting down unknown stuff, but one great motivator is economic - if nobody knows about something, there's sometimes no perceived market or demand, and sometimes deals can be found...

Still looking forward to the thread-starters' books... hm

I have the immense luxury of a nice 17-day vacation starting this weekend, so I'll have plenty of time to sort, scan, and post. Its been a good year for me GA-wise, with lots of divergences away from my Core collecting focus (Schomburg covers) and more into areas like Atlas War, Atomic Age last issues, and other weird little niches.

Have to say its a great thread to scan through and see what everyone has been keying on. Even added a couple of books to my want list just by perusing the thread and its many wonderful contributions.

I think my top 11 purchases of 2011 would be (in no particular order, but books I bought for me, not for resale)

great 3

real life 3

pep 34

mmc 46

mmc 44

capt america 46

batman 1

terrific 5

zip 22

headline 8

fantastic 3

I think my top 11 purchases of 2011 would be (in no particular order, but books I bought for me, not for resale)

great 3

real life 3

pep 34

mmc 46

mmc 44

capt america 46

batman 1

terrific 5

zip 22

headline 8

fantastic 3

25951d1115045542-thread-useless-without-pics-smiley-ttiwwp.gif

Get to scanning Gator. :baiting:

Here are my eleven best of 2011...

165 Days: a Story of the 25th Division on Luzon

This 1944 World War II graphic novel about a Pacific theater campaign by a man who was there is one of the earliest, and one of the most gripping first person narratives ever produced in comics form. Oversize hardback, cloth covers, rough but effective art. Unlisted in the Guide and unknown to me until this year.

Fantastic! I've got to find one of these.

great 3

real life 3

pep 34

mmc 46

mmc 44

capt america 46

batman 1

terrific 5

zip 22

headline 8

fantastic 3

That haul would make an epic decade for me, but it's all just a years work for you lol

great 3

real life 3

pep 34

mmc 46

mmc 44

capt america 46

batman 1

terrific 5

zip 22

headline 8

fantastic 3

That haul would make an epic decade for me, but it's all just a years day's work for you lol

Fixed that for you! (thumbs u