• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 11 GA Acquisitions of 2011. Post 'em if you got 'em.

424 posts in this topic

# 3 Captain America Comics # 78 (CGC 8.5) Not only is this Captain America's last printed comic book appearance until the Silver Age, but this particular example was also Romita Sr.'s personal copy. Somehow in 2011, I really got a bug for Atomic-Age final appearances. The Bethlehem copy of Sub-Mariner # 42 sold on eBay late last year, and I didn't pursue it aggressively (i.e, it went too cheap). Too bad, because in hindsight, they would've made a great bookend pair of final appearances for two of Marvel/Timely's great Golden Age characters.

Cap78CGC85.jpg

Every time I see a copy of this book, I regret no longer owning one. Yours is a stunner (thumbs u

I also regret not bidding more on the original art page from this book back at Sotheby's or Christie's auction in the mid 90s. It went for a nice price, that would be an insane bargain now :tonofbricks:

George, looks like 2011 was a great year for your collection. I really enjoyed the stories you took the time to write for each one too. Here's hoping 2012 brings similar treasures!

And my pick of the litter would be that double cover Exciting. That Cap is great too. Awesome drawing there.

Beautiful selection of Schomburg covers! It looks like you had quite a year! :applause:

# 5: Startling Comics # 50 (CGC 9.0) Yeah, its another Schomburg airbrush cover. Anyone else see a trend developing?

Startling50CGC90.jpg

# 3 Captain America Comics # 78 (CGC 8.5) Not only is this Captain America's last printed comic book appearance until the Silver Age, but this particular example was also Romita Sr.'s personal copy. Somehow in 2011, I really got a bug for Atomic-Age final appearances. The Bethlehem copy of Sub-Mariner # 42 sold on eBay late last year, and I didn't pursue it aggressively (i.e, it went too cheap). Too bad, because in hindsight, they would've made a great bookend pair of final appearances for two of Marvel/Timely's great Golden Age characters.

Cap78CGC85.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this book (worship)(worship)(worship) I have a lowly CGC BLUE 2.5 c/ow and am happy to have IT. I'm pretty sure I'd re-learn how to do cartwheels if I had YOUR copy :headbang: VERY well done sir :cloud9:

I’m a little late with this. They’re not high grade, they’re not flouncy 40s characters, but I love 'em and figured I’d post mine anyway. I also did not have time to scan them all and had to use the camera for some. And in the bag, too boot. I hate the reflections, but it was the best I could do. Like Leo Buscaglia once said, “Forgive your fellow forumites, they did the best they could do.”

I posted this one recently since I just picked it up, but its def. one of my favorites from 2011, The Thing #13, my first Ditko Thing.

Thing13.jpg