• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You don't see early Strange Tales in 9.6 everyday....

13 posts in this topic

To heck with the Spidey reprint - look at that Showcase #4! 893whatthe.gif

He's listed that book several times- always priced very aggressively. This time it looks like the price might be more realistic. It'll be interesting to see if it changes hands.

My bad...

I thought it was the real thing. I hate it when they don't put GRR in the title. I know it said 1966 but that didn't click at 1:30AM. foreheadslap.gif

He has some very very nice books. I'm surprised he put a BIN on that Strange Tales issue instead of high reserve.

I'm pretty sure he used both his aggressive BIN and a high reserve with that auction.

Other than the high prices on his website, the other thing that bothers me is he uses the term BEST EXISTING!!!!

1) That implies, CGC graded or not, this is the best existing copy! Obvioulsy, that can't be confirmed, since there could be several ungraded copies.

2) Also, in many cases, there are books that are at the same grade. So his 9.6 is better than the other 9.6's?

That said, those ST are nice and I hope his reserve is only a little unreasonable ( then I have a chance). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Other than the high prices on his website, the other thing that bothers me is he uses the term BEST EXISTING!!!!

1) That implies, CGC graded or not, this is the best existing copy! Obvioulsy, that can't be confirmed, since there could be several ungraded copies.

My use of the term 'Best Existing" means that it is tthe best existing copy graded by CGC.

Great point though. I should use the term "Highest CGC grade". Let me mull this over as it willl take a lot of work to correct.

Mark

2) Also, in many cases, there are books that are at the same grade. So his 9.6 is better than the other 9.6's?

Oh my, most definitely. Now a lot of this is subjective and not noted in the CGC Census results, but when I have the ability to purchace two (or more) of the same high grade book, I always go after the more appealing copy - even if I have to pay more to get it. I really try hard to purchace the best centered books I can. With some issues, that is impossible but when possible, I will do this. Another factor not noted on the Census is page quality. If you have two 9.6 books that look about identical, what determains my purchace is page quality. Again, I will pay more to get the superior book.

I hope this answers your concern.

Take care,

mark

What about the vast majority of cases, in which you have not seen the other copies with the same CGC grade as the one you claim is the "best in existence"? Fact of the matter is, you are using that phrase inappropriately. The phrase "top census grade" is an alternative that is both accurate, and highly praiseworthy of the copy you are selling.