• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it bad to collect Copper books?

31 posts in this topic

The Copper Age was actually my second go around with collecting.I had a pretty good run of most BA books from 74-78 and then quit when I graduated high school to chase girls & see what all I could get into.My first taste of copper was The Death of Captain Marvel.I picked up a copy when I went to Daytona Beach.Truly one of the best stories ever released and I admit,I did tear up when I read it.

Around 1985 I saw an ad for a comic shop opening up in Kingsport,Tn. and I decided to check it out.For crying out loud.A whole store for nothing but comic books.One of the first ones I bought was Dreadstar #1 and needless to say I was pretty much hooked.I drove there at least once a week(45 miles),and at the height of my collecting I was buying around 100-150 new books a month,not counting back issues.

I did get caught up in the frenzy,buying multiple issues of every new book that came out.buying the Overstreet Update and seeing how much my collection had increased in value,pitching a fit when Wizard of Time didn't go past 3 issues.Good times indeed.

In 1988 I got married for the first time and sold off most of my indy books to a friend of mine for pennies on the dollar.By the time I quit in 1992 I was down to only 2 or 3 titles and they were Marvels.Now I find myself revisiting the 1980's for the pure pleasure of the diversity and innovation of the Smaller press books.I've since completed a complete run of Pacific titles and load up on Eclipse & First books when I find them.AC books are a lot of fun too and I'm finding a lot of Epic titles that didn't interest me then are pretty darn good now.

So,to coin MTV & VH1"I Love The '80s"

Interestingly enough,I visited the guy I sold the books to this past week and bought about a hundred books from him.When I asked what he did with those boxes of "oddball" stuff I sold him he said he probably still had them.Gonna have to check this out more closely.Hmmmm.

I remember going to an Encore Books as a wee little 10 year old and picking up three books off the spinner rack: Batman, Wonder Woman and Captain America.

They were:

Wonder Woman # 20 (Who killed Mindi Mayer? Answer: suicide)

Captain America # 346 (Captain America gets into trouble for brutally--and graphically--killing bad guys. Turns out it was John Walker, not Steve Rogers, and Walker was a psycho).

Batman: The Killing Joke: featuring Joker blowing out Barbara Gordon's spinal column and falling backwards in slow motion through a glass table.

Good wholesome American fun that was.

Several of you mentioned GI Joe :cloud9:

Happy to see some respect for Hama's work - :applause:

Copper does rock! Great characters created during that time!

I always thought Marvel missed the ball with that series by giving it to, shall we say, uninspiring artists. For a while there, it had all those great Zeck covers but the interiors were mediocre at best.

From a reading standpoint, it's a gold mine.

There is so much fantastic stuff to read. I would hazard a guess that the stories stand up better today than Bronze and Silver age books. Nostalgia and good reads. :cloud9:

If it is bad I must have been very,very bad this weekend.I just purchased well over 300 copper books.Eclipse,Pacific,Epic,a run of Atari Force and the first 20 issues of The 3-D Zone.You know what's in that run don't you? #16 is the Dave Stevens Space Vixens cover :cloud9: