• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Reducing Scan Resolution

10 posts in this topic

To all the techno-gurus out there, is there a quick and easy way of reducing the resolution of a high-res scan to lower-res, so I can get something from almost 1 MB to under 200 KBs? I have Adobe PhotoDeluxe, but can't seem to find any functionality that allows me to do it easily.

The link that Rob directed me to didn't really answer my question, unfortunately. What I was looking for was some menu that simply allowed you to plug in a resolution size and voila.

However, after experimenting a bit further after looking at the tutorial, I think I've figured a method, although I doubt this is the most efficient way:

1. Go to "Get and Fix Photo", then "Get Photo", "Open File" and pull up the scan you want.

2. Go to "Size" at the top tool bar, "Resize", put your cursor at the top left corner and then drag it diagonally to the right, which will reduce the size of the image.

3. Go to "Select" at the top tool bar, "Selection Tools", "Object" and then click on the image. Then go up to "Edit" in the top tool bar and click "Copy".

4. Go to "File" at the top tool bar, click "New", and a box will pop up where you can fill in the desire dimensions, including the desired resolution. Leave the size alone, but fill in the resolution with the desired number, and click "OK". Then, you will see a blank white box where the new image should go. Go up to "Edit" and click "copy". The image will appear, then follow the export and save functions, and voila, I was able to get a huge scan small enough to fit under the Boards' 150 KB limit. Hopefully I'll be able to post the results of my work on the boards soon.

Whew! If anyone knows how to get down to Step 4 in fewer steps, I'm all ears.

I don't know the app, but isn't this what you're looking for?

In order to save as a jpg or other format you need to select:

Save and Send

Export

You will then get tabs:

Select:

Export

Other Export

Select:

Where you wish to save the file

Name the file

SaveAs: select format - jpg or other choice

Enter:

You will be prompted to continue conversion to jpg.

At this point, you may select options and adjust the file size. This will affect file size as well as quality of the photo when enlarged in PowerPoint.

Select: Done

http://www.soe.umt.edu/ders/tales/tools/Tutorials/PhotoShopDeluxe/save.htm

I don't know the app, but isn't this what you're looking for?

In order to save as a jpg or other format you need to select:

Save and Send

Export

You will then get tabs:

Select:

Export

Other Export

Select:

Where you wish to save the file

Name the file

SaveAs: select format - jpg or other choice

Enter:

You will be prompted to continue conversion to jpg.

At this point, you may select options and adjust the file size. This will affect file size as well as quality of the photo when enlarged in PowerPoint.

Select: Done

http://www.soe.umt.edu/ders/tales/tools/Tutorials/PhotoShopDeluxe/save.htm

robreact.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

TTH, Here's what you can do with PhotoDeluxe for Mac (don't know if the menus are the same for the PC version) to reduce size and resolution.

Once your image is active, click "Size" and drag to "photo size". This opens a box that gives you choices on width, height, and pixel resolution of your active image.

As mentioned already, another downsizing option is available when saving a jpeg file: the file size can be set between 1 (smallest file size) and 11 (maximum file size).

TTH, Here's what you can do with PhotoDeluxe for Mac (don't know if the menus are the same for the PC version) to reduce size and resolution.

Once your image is active, click "Size" and drag to "photo size". This opens a box that gives you choices on width, height, and pixel resolution of your active image.

As mentioned already, another downsizing option is available when saving a jpeg file: the file size can be set between 1 (smallest file size) and 11 (maximum file size).

Thanks guys. thumbsup2.gifThis is why I'm a lawyer and am completely dependent on our IT staff. sorry.gif