• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage has sold $187,927,021 worth of Vintage Comic Books

Where do want to put your money?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Where do want to put your money?

6 posts in this topic

Heritage has sold $802,095,466 in the past 12 months to our 692,447 bidder-members.

Heritage has sold $187,927,021 worth of Vintage Comic Books, Magazines, Comic Art, Animation Art, Illustration Art and related Memorabilia at auction.

I was just checking out this weekends auctions and saw those headlines on their homepage. Almost a billion dollars in the last year. I must say I'm very impressed. So does anybody think the comic or overall collectible market is going to crash or bubble burst anytime soon (next five or so years)? I don't. As currency folds and sock markets are strangled I think the market for old coins and comics and art and other collectibles will become even stronger. When people are scared of cash and bonds, old collectible stuff seems like a safe bet. What do you say?

*Hoping to start a thread avoiding pressing, trolling, strikes, and the rest of the BS...

Never tried the sock market but I do have some vintage socks. Wonder how much they are worth :makepoint:

How much juice do they get from $801m ?

Probably $200m-$250m or so. Buyer's premium is 19.5% or $14, whichever is smaller on comics and 15% on some of their more core categories. Most people factor that into their bid, so the seller is giving them at least 20% to start with. What I don't know is if they charge seller a percentage too. Most comic auction houses seem to charge both buyers and sellers, though the buyer's fee may be less.

So you figure they are making likely 25%-35% -- this assumes sellers are paying *something* and factors for the percentage of lots where the buyer's premium is >25% of the final value.