• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Relaunch

301 posts in this topic

I'm not pleased at all. It's relaunch, but with a bunch of unknown artists.

No creative teams have been announced yet...

For everyone else - Is it too much to ask that you actually wait for the books to see print before you write them off as failures...

--Phil

I thought that was pretty funny too...

I remember being really excited about the idea of this years ago when they were first trying to get things moving... it's taken FOREVER... and that image was just such a big let down.

Reminds me of the Iron Man / X-O crossover covers. Way too computer-y...

*fingers crossed* tho... I think I'm still in provided they don't come out with a bunch of variants or try to launch a slew of titles all at once.

The Valiant characters are great characters, and the potential is there to tell some really great stories with them in the future.

Just because some other creators told some not-very-good stories with these characters in the past, doesn't mean that all future stories with these characters will suck.

Agreed. Captain America was a cool character that was lame because of the stories that were told until Brubaker got ahold of him. Same thing for DD and Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, etc.

If you have good, or even decent characters, and people who can tell good stories with them, that's all you need.

+1

Bart Sears is the man they need as artist for the relaunch. He OWNS the X-O look when he is toned down a little. Sometimes he got too goofy looking but those issues with the Turok cross-over back in the day...that was some pretty awesome stuff!

4411401_1.jpg

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to conclude that past performance has anything to do with future performance, when it comes to characters.

The Valiant characters are great characters, and the potential is there to tell some really great stories with them in the future.

Just because some other creators told some not-very-good stories with these characters in the past, doesn't mean that all future stories with these characters will suck.

I'm looking forward to the new stuff.

I am giving you a stone cold mortal lock guarantee this Valiant re-launch will be a complete POS waste of time and your money.

it has been too long in between and especially with these terrible artists/writers they have gotten to think any different, plus mix that with not the full old school valiant roster and you will probably have a bad outcome.

Having hope is a losing mentality.

:screwy:

I rather see people actually doing than hoping.

Hoping can sometimes be used to mask being lazy, and I am not talking about I hope my family member recovers from being sick as much I am talking about in a practical manner of living life.

I am giving you a stone cold mortal lock guarantee this Valiant re-launch will be a complete POS waste of time and your money.

it has been too long in between and especially with these terrible artists/writers they have gotten to think any different, plus mix that with not the full old school valiant roster and you will probably have a bad outcome.

Dude, they haven't announced anyone yet aside from the artist who did that X-O piece and that David Aja Rai piece a while back.

Are they likely to catch lightning in a bottle again? No, but I'm not giving up before I read an issue. I rightfully condemned the Dark Key books after one issue. Let's give them at least an issue before we pronounce them dead, no?

Or at least an announcement of creative teams.

Having hope is a losing mentality.

:screwy:

I rather see people actually doing than hoping.

Hoping can sometimes be used to mask being lazy, and I am not talking about I hope my family member recovers from being sick as much I am talking about in a practical manner of living life.

For someone who hates hope, you sure seem to be "hoping" the line fails before anything aside from a FCBD announcement.

BTW, Harbinger 1-6 is not much more than a rippoff of X-Men.

There seems to be such a hatred for Valiant on this board, which I could never understand. Image never produced anything decent until other people started there such as Ellis, Hitch, Kirkman, etc yet the mention of Valiant insights pure hatred.

I'm guessing a lot of it is from collectors who had the "Valiant bubble" pop on them and make books they paid top dollar for worthless after only a few months. I felt the same way and was embarassed by the boxes of "worthless books" I had until I discovered there was a market on eBay for certain issues, and then traced that market back to the Valiantfans site, and later the message board once that was added.

Since then I discovered a great community of fans and re-discovered how much I enjoyed the early Valiant books. Not just Pre-Unity, but even stuff published a year or two after Unity. I also discovered a great buying opportunity as back in the early 2000's it was easy to find the pre-Unity and other special Valiant books in store stock and cheap boxes at comic shows at dirt cheap prices, and then later either flip them on eBay or just hoard them and enjoy owning multiples of books like Harbinger #1 and Unity #0 Red.

Will Valiant ever be as big as they were in their heyday? Not a chance. Are chances even very good that they will be good sellers in today's comic market? Looking at the recent track record of bringing back "Dead Universes" (Dark-Key, Atlas), I'm not holding my breath. I hope they manage to succeed, but I'm not counting on it or investing in it.

Who here is saying they hate Valiant or even dislike it?

Just because someone doesn't agree with the idea that this relaunch will be a huge success doesn't mean they hate Valiant.

I thought the original Valiant comics were enjoyable to read. The company holds a special place in the history of modern comics.

And I'll repeat:

The success or failure of this event will neither vindicate or erase the past.

It is what it is.

Unique and special.

It's okay to be skeptical of this relaunch and still appreciate what was.

Who here is saying they hate Valiant or even dislike it?

Just because someone doesn't agree with the idea that this relaunch will be a huge success doesn't mean they hate Valiant.

I thought the original Valiant comics were enjoyable to read. The company holds a special place in the history of modern comics.

And I'll repeat:

The success or failure of this event will neither vindicate or erase the past.

It is what it is.

Unique and special.

It's okay to be skeptical of this relaunch and still appreciate what was.

Being skeptical of the relaunch is one thing, I feel the same way.

Coming out and saying that any revival of Valiant is guaranteed to be a POS waste of time and money (as was stated earlier in the thread) sounds to me like a hatred of Valiant, basically hoping it fails no matter what is presented.

There seems to be such a hatred for Valiant on this board, which I could never understand. Image never produced anything decent until other people started there such as Ellis, Hitch, Kirkman, etc yet the mention of Valiant insights pure hatred.

Too many members with longboxes of prime high grade that won't move

at 10 cents a book in bulk....

Absolutely not--it's that to those of us who grew up with Valiant, Jim Shooter was the soul of the company, and Magnus and Solar were the lynchpin--the soul--of the series.

Without those elements, and _with_ the backdrop of a failed Dark Horse line that included all of those elements less than a year old, it's just difficult to see how it could succeed--like watching Guns 'N Roses tour minus Axl Rose.

Harbinger was more popular for the early issues being valuable than for being particularly good (it was basically just New Mutants with a decent writer), and was among the first series to go south. I hated it once secondary characters like Livewire & Stronghold were introduced around 17-18, and the last good issue was the Pete-Harada faceoff in # 25.

X-O, Eternal Warrior and Archer & Armstrong continued to be good far longer--with Archer & Armstrong surviving BWS's leaving, and ending fairly early, but on a high note.

X-O, however, devolved into an image clone with rushed angular Bart Sears splashes or "Andy Smith aping rushed Bart Sears" after about issue 50. And--as X-O was my favorite character, I own some later splash pages by both Sears and Smith. They still weren't *good,* particularly because we knew the quality of which Sears was capable from his earlier X-O 14-15 & Turok 1-3.