• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Relaunch

301 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or do other have a hard time reading a story about a guy named Atom! Freeman, too? I mean, what's the deal with the exclamation point?

I don't think having someone who is eccentric as your sales manager is a bad thing.

Don't let 2 covers discourage you from trying out a new series. It really has nothing to do with the content of the book.

This news on bleeding cool has me very much interested and the art is fantastic!

xomanowar01nordcover.jpg

It looks like that is an alternative cover for X-O Manowar #1. Since they are going after the "collector" market with this (2 covers for X-O Manowar #1 announced so far), I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother with the relaunch. I'm disappointed.

I'll be disappointed if every issue has multiple covers. Trust me, I'm glad Valiant is back. I just am sick and tired of the variant cover from - every - single - comic - publisher. No wonder all the readers/collectors are leaving the industry and not coming back. Use to be a time when you could collect a title and be able to own a complete collection. These days, you have to be willing to drop big money on the ultra rare limited to 200 copy variants and such to get a complete collection of most titles.

I'm still hopeful Valiant will be different. They won't produce too many variant covers (and definitely not for every issue printed, let's just stick to the first issues, please) and they concentrate on the stories. I want to collect and read. But I am definitely not going to if I see they are more interested in producing collectibles and gouging their loyal audience like Dynamite Entertainment, Boom Studios, IDW, Marvel, DC, Zenoscope, etc.

I admit it. I'm probably jumping the gun here. So far, we only know about 2 covers for X-O Manowar and they might be 50/50. But, you have to admit, my fear is well founded if you look around and see what this industry has become in the past 5 years.

I'll be disappointed if every issue has multiple covers. Trust me, I'm glad Valiant is back. I just am sick and tired of the variant cover from - every - single - comic - publisher. No wonder all the readers/collectors are leaving the industry and not coming back. Use to be a time when you could collect a title and be able to own a complete collection. These days, you have to be willing to drop big money on the ultra rare limited to 200 copy variants and such to get a complete collection of most titles.

I'm still hopeful Valiant will be different. They won't produce too many variant covers (and definitely not for every issue printed, let's just stick to the first issues, please) and they concentrate on the stories. I want to collect and read. But I am definitely not going to if I see they are more interested in producing collectibles and gouging their loyal audience like Dynamite Entertainment, Boom Studios, IDW, Marvel, DC, Zenoscope, etc.

I admit it. I'm probably jumping the gun here. So far, we only know about 2 covers for X-O Manowar and they might be 50/50. But, you have to admit, my fear is well founded if you look around and see what this industry has become in the past 5 years.

I would LOVE for Valiant to have zero variants. But because of what the industry has become,

it's a game that everyone is playing and Valiant will die if they don't.

It reminds me of sportscards in the early-to-mid 1990s.

If you didn't have a premium version of every player, you didn't have a company very long.

Unfortunately (or maybe, fortunately), those cards are ALL basically worthless now...

so if you are a "complete collection" comic collector, it's probably only a matter of time until EVERY variant is cheap.

The stories are far more important to me, so I won't be chasing every variant...

I'll wait it out and I'm sure I won't be disappointed in 2 to 5 years when I can grab them for next-to-nothing.

I'll also be very disappointed if Valiant has variants beyond first issues. Still, I wish they wouldn't have any.

Don't let 2 covers discourage you from trying out a new series. It really has nothing to do with the content of the book.

This news on bleeding cool has me very much interested and the art is fantastic!

xomanowar01nordcover.jpg

It looks like that is an alternative cover for X-O Manowar #1. Since they are going after the "collector" market with this (2 covers for X-O Manowar #1 announced so far), I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother with the relaunch. I'm disappointed.

+1,000,000

I'll also be very disappointed if Valiant has variants beyond first issues. Still, I wish they wouldn't have any.

Same here. The Gold issues were fun back in the day. But more like a distraction over time as people painted "VALIANT COMICS" on walls, just to take a photo and receive a free book.

I would LOVE for Valiant to have zero variants. But because of what the industry has become,

it's a game that everyone is playing and Valiant will die if they don't.

It reminds me of sportscards in the early-to-mid 1990s.

If you didn't have a premium version of every player, you didn't have a company very long.

Unfortunately (or maybe, fortunately), those cards are ALL basically worthless now...

so if you are a "complete collection" comic collector, it's probably only a matter of time until EVERY variant is cheap.

The stories are far more important to me, so I won't be chasing every variant...

I'll wait it out and I'm sure I won't be disappointed in 2 to 5 years when I can grab them for next-to-nothing.

If I am Valiant I am looking at the bigger picture with this relaunch,and that bigger picture is movies,action figures,video games and animated series. This comic book relaunch is about putting Valiant back on the map. They will get my support 100 percent. :cloud9:

Yeah---Valiant played a huge part in the 90s variant market by inventing the "# 0 origin issue" and Gold incentive variant deal, to say nothing of the first successful chromium covers with Bloodshot and Turok 1.

Given that they literally invented some of the variant covers that led to the craze, I see no reason that shouldn't have variant now.

Ditto because both the VH2 Acclaim first issues and the Dark Key issues had variants as well.

I already plan on picking up the eventual Eternal Warrior series. Always was a fan of the character and series. Valiant did Highlander better than Highlander did Highlander.

I was reading that on CBR a little earlier...

As far as "incentives" go... I really like this idea much much better than "order 100 copies and get one with a different picture"

My initial reaction was pretty negative to the existence of yet another freaking variant cover, but after reading it... that's pretty neat. I hope I can get that variant with DCBS...