• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBG CGC Multipliers

11 posts in this topic

As most know, CBG prints "CGC Multipliers" on the cover of their weekly publication. Unfortunately, the baseline data they use to create the mulipliers comes from their comic book price guide, not Overstreet's. This makes it tough to use the multipliers to come up with a price unless you have a copy of their guide.

However, the ratio of the multipliers for 9.0, 9.2, 9.4 etc.,. should be applicable to any book as they are independent of the absolute "price guide" value of the book. So, my question is - are the ratios in CBG realistic (I believe they are now calculated only using sales data for pre-90(80?) books)? What multipliers have people found to be accurate when comparing the sales prices of 9.0's compared to 9.2's, 9.4's, etc.,.? Is it different for gold/silver/bronze/modern?

I haven't seen one in a couple years but the CBG price guide tends to be way on the low end compared to the rest. And not realistic in my opinion. I tend to treat their CGC multiples guide as curious at best. I do believe they have started to use Comiclink and Comicbase as a reference for setting a "standard" baseline but I'm not privy to their baseline price guides.

Jim

ComicBase uses CBG's prices, not the other way around. Although It sounds like they do provide some pricing input to CBG when you read their web site ( http://www.human-computing.com/images/Fact_Sheet_7.pdf ), where it says they "research prices in partnership with CBG."

Here are the multiples I use and see most often for Silver/Bronze Marvels, and they are different depending on the age.

Early Silver Marvel (exact multiples paid VERY closely match the relative rarity displayed by the CGC census):

• 9.0 = 1x to 2x
  • 9.2 = 1.5x to 3x
  • 9.4 = 2.5x to 5x
  • 9.6 = 4x to 20x
  • 9.8 = too rare to predict, but you know they'll go for a ton!

Late Silver to Early Bronze Marvel:

• 9.0 = 0.8x to 1.5x
  • 9.2 = 1x to 1.5x
  • 9.4 = 2x to 4x
  • 9.6 = 4x to 10x
  • 9.8 = 10x to 50x

Late Bronze Marvels go for Guide unless it's a key or hot title. 9.6s and 9.8s obviously go for a few multiples of guide, but this market to me is pure speculation; the VAST majority of late Bronze books are still sitting in polybags or Mylar and have yet to be slabbed. I'm currently trying to get Uncanny X-Men 94 to 142 in 9.6 with white pages; I don't pay any more than $100 for 9.6s from 122 on up, and I've gotten at least half of that run already.

What do you mean "different depending on the age"!?!? mad.gif Oops, sorry, wrong thread! wink.gif

Great stuff...thanks for the input (I assume these are Overstreet multipliers), and I'll double check these against what CBG says next time the weekly shows up in the mailbox and let you know...

Yea, these are Overstreet multipliers. I wouldn't know where to get the CBG price guide even if I wanted it! I guess you could call them or something, but you never see it for sale in book stores, comic shops, or conventions...

they do two books with pricing information (1) The "Comic Book Checklist and Price Guide": (which is always in stock at my local borders) and the very interesting (ignoring the insane pricing data) "Standard Catalog of Comic Books."