• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Storage Box

26 posts in this topic

Anyone know a UK dealer that has them?

I went through this a bunch of times already do what I am doing....I am having a couple big oak boxes made here in town by a local wood shop. Pick whatever wood makes you happy, make sure it measures (inside) 9" wide by 13" tall and as long as you want (mine are 36" long). They all come with tops and the wood is varnished/clearcoated..etc. etc. etc. and lined with heavy pool table felt so they don't scuff the CGC cases.

Mine only cost $96 a box and that includes the wood used. When they are done, I will post pics of them, but it sure looks a 1000 times better than the crappy tupper ware I am using now or some lame comic book box. thumbsup2.gif

that is my suggestion.

I went through this a bunch of times already do what I am doing....I am having a couple big oak boxes made here in town by a local wood shop. Pick whatever wood makes you happy, make sure it measures (inside) 9" wide by 13" tall and as long as you want (mine are 36" long). They all come with tops and the wood is varnished/clearcoated..etc. etc. etc. and lined with heavy pool table felt so they don't scuff the CGC cases.

Mine only cost $96 a box and that includes the wood used. When they are done, I will post pics of them, but it sure looks a 1000 times better than the crappy tupper ware I am using now or some lame comic book box. thumbsup2.gif

that is my suggestion.

Ok, a wooden longbox, that's a little psycho insane.gif

I got tired of having all of my boxes sitting on 6' folding tables so I built these...

cabinets_1.jpg

cabinets_2.jpg

They are 8'x4', solid oak and each of them will hold 24 magazine boxes. The shelves are fully adjustable/removable so I can pretty much fit anything in there that's no wider than 11".

Cost: Just under $1,000

Time: Three months of Saturdays

Best part: I got to spend 3 months of Saturdays working with my 80 year old grandfather. grin.gif

Dude... that is the coolest storage I have ever seen...

Heck, you've seen the wooden racks I was using... foreheadslap.gif

And fyi... for those of you keeping track at home, stronguy is the 3rd person to sign up on the boards who has been to my shop (at an unnamed, undisclosed location)... smile.gif

Glad to see you on the boards, man... and I am not just saying that because you brought a gun to my shop... blush.gifblush.gifstooges.gif

Ok, a wooden longbox, that's a little psycho insane.gif

I got tired of having all of my boxes sitting on 6' folding tables so I built these...

cabinets_1.jpg

cabinets_2.jpg

HOLY 893censored-thumb.gif that is cool.

If you had pull out wooden drawers (lined)...it be even better...if that is possible. Damn bro, that is HELLA sweet. I hail.gif to you!

HOLY 893censored-thumb.gif that is cool.

If you had pull out wooden drawers (lined)...it be even better...if that is possible. Damn bro, that is HELLA sweet. I hail.gif to you!

I actually went into some pretty crazy designs but the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method was what worked out best.

I considered drawers but sliding out too many drawers at the same time would have tipped the cabinet over. You know, like that picture on a coke machine. One of these bad boys, fully loaded, weighs close to 1000 lbs. Even *I* can't bench press that. sumo.gif

Cost: Just under $1,000

Time: Three months of Saturdays

Best part: I got to spend 3 months of Saturdays working with my 80 year old grandfather. grin.gif

Memories you have of time spent with your grandfather.. and wood shelves that will last a lifetime...

priceless....... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Really nice storage system.

pull out shelves would indeed be sweet.. is there room to put casters, or drawer slides on each shelve cubicle?

How do you have them organized? Randomly?, or is it all just in your head?

And that cabinet face just begs for a place to display a few of your comics..any chance of mounting a slide in type of frame to show off a few of your comics?

I know bright light is bad for them.. but I find displaying a few really makes the room feel more like a comic den..gives it a certain "cool" factor

As with all my home improvement projects..

I always seem to think of improvements ..AFTER I am all done with my project.

p.s. is that a brush appllied stain? or rag applied>?

It looks nice.....

Once again really nice work, I am a craftsman , and appreciate people who spend time to do things the right way.

Kenny

Memories you have of time spent with your grandfather.. and wood shelves that will last a lifetime...

priceless....... 893applaud-thumb.gif

That was the best part of doing it. He and I have worked on several projects over the years. Each one of them is very special.

Really nice storage system.

pull out shelves would indeed be sweet.. is there room to put casters, or drawer slides on each shelve cubicle?

The problem with drawers is simple physics. A load of 100 lbs. (4 drawers x 25 lbs/box) extended 18" from the front base of the cabinet at a height of 6.5' (the height of the bottom of the top shelf) would create 325 lb-ft of torque at the leading edge. That force alone will tip them over. That's excluding the torque created by having two 25 lb. doors open. It was just too hard to ensure safety without doing them as built-ins.

Besides the top of the top box is over 7' in the air. The only person who's tall enough to look in them is Lighthouse wink.gif

How do you have them organized? Randomly?, or is it all just in your head?

And that cabinet face just begs for a place to display a few of your comics..any chance of mounting a slide in type of frame to show off a few of your comics?

I know bright light is bad for them.. but I find displaying a few really makes the room feel more like a comic den..gives it a certain "cool" factor

Right now the books are split into Ages (Golden, Silver, Bronze, Modern), then split by publisher, and finally alphabetized.

I though a/b doing some sort of display on the front of the doors but I have no desire to leave my Cap 59 or AF15 sitting out in the sunlight 893naughty-thumb.gif

There are plenty of sketch books, busts, and original art around to set the room off.

p.s. is that a brush appllied stain? or rag applied>?

It looks nice.....

Thanks for the complement. The wood on the case is A/B grade 3/4" Red Oak 7 layer ply. The doors and trim are solid Red Oak. I brushed on Minwax Golden Oak stain. Then I covered it with 3 coats of Minwax Polyurethane (50/50 mix semi-gloss and satin) -- sanding b/t each coat w/ 220 and buffing each coat out with mineral spirits. The finishing alone took 2/3 of the time.

Gorgeous storage system, Strong - if the New Yankee Workshop were to build a comic cabinet storage system, it would probably look alot like that!

Any concern about the polyurethane giving off unwanted gases when the doors are closed?

Gorgeous storage system, Strong - if the New Yankee Workshop were to build a comic cabinet storage system, it would probably look alot like that!

Any concern about the polyurethane giving off unwanted gases when the doors are closed?

We made a lot of New Yankee Workshop jokes while building these things. Things would have been much eaiser if we had "Nam's" million dollars worth of tools. 893frustrated.gif

I thought a/b the urethane giving off gases but after it cures (a/b 2 weeks) there no odor so I doubt there will be an issues. However, if, in 10 or 20 years, you see me selling a bunch of books that look like they've been varnished you might remember that we had this conversation. tongue.gif

very nice cabs, stronguy. I firmly believe someone could design and build these things and fill a much needed niche market for CGC collectors...893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, just for grins, what would you pay for something like that? Or, what would you expect someone to pay? I've already been asked if I would build more. Right now my answer is no simple due to the time involved.

I already have a price in my head of what I would sell them for but I'm curious to see what the market would bring.

And fyi... for those of you keeping track at home, stronguy is the 3rd person to sign up on the boards who has been to my shop (at an unnamed, undisclosed location)... smile.gif

This information is available to the highest bidder. I will post the eBay auction number shortly.

Glad to see you on the boards, man... and I am not just saying that because you brought a gun to my shop... blush.gifblush.gifstooges.gif

Yes you are 893whatthe.gif. You were highly motivated to complete our deal when I showed the heat. Besides, I had to have some protection from the crack heads and pimps you let hang out in your store.

Now you will do my bidding or I will pay you another visit sumo.gif.