• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stories posted by Brandon Shepherd

1 post in this topic

Standing on the shoulders of others.

When I think about my collection and my favorite pieces, I think about the stories behind these pieces. Each book has both a literal and figurative story. There is the printed story inside the cover, a story behind the creation of the art and plot and a story about where the book originally came from. Many of my favorite pieces were published well before I was born; I get to enjoy these pieces because someone else did the hard work. It was someone else who sought out these pieces to put away, someone else who carefully stored and preserved these books and someone else who graded these books, all I had to do was wait for them to be brought to the market.

I have several pieces from the Rocky Mountain pedigree, I love the consistent quality of each piece from this collection. Aside for neat covers I've obtained from this collection, I enjoy knowing that they came from the same collection. I wonder what the story is behind this collection, all I know for now is that this collection came from Colorado. Many pedigree pieces have also changed hands several times over the years, which can be an interesting story as well.

I also think about some of the wonderful reference material published over the years. The Gerber Photo Journals, 75 Years of DC Comics and the Overstreet guides for example. These examples were all obviously labors of love and a team effort. The stories behind the formation of these works can be just as interesting as the subject matter. Thanks again to hard work of others, I became educated and interested in collecting comic books from these works.

Part of the fun of collecting is thinking about the stories behind each piece. As I think about my personal stories and the possible stories behind each book I find, I stop and think about how a piece is going into my collection because someone before me started a collection.

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd