• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lost Doctor Who Episodes Found!!!

19 posts in this topic

"The BBC revealed today that two complete episodes of Doctor Who have been returned to the BBC Archives.

Firstly, the complete third episode of the William Hartnell story Galaxy 4, Air Lock has been recovered - prior to this only a short segment from the first episode remained in the archive with no telesnaps taken to show how the third episode and its characters would have looked.

Secondly, the complete second episode of Patrick Troughton's third story The Underwater Menace has also been recovered - making this the earliest complete episode for the Second Doctor to now exist in the Archives (alongside the existing episode three)."

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/12/dwn111211160008-two-doctor-who-episodes.html

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

I was hoping you were going to say that the lost episodes of 'Evil of the Daleks' had been found. I have vivid memories of that serial from 1969(ish) here in Australia and I'd love to see it again. But if lost episodes are still out there, maybe there's hope yet?

I don't understand... (shrug)

If you mention Dr Who, good chance Ian Levine will be coming along very quickly... it used to work with the few comics he still needed as well, but since he got them all, only thing that wakes him from his slumber is mentioning lost Dr Who episodes.

I was hoping you were going to say that the lost episodes of 'Evil of the Daleks' had been found. I have vivid memories of that serial from 1969(ish) here in Australia and I'd love to see it again. But if lost episodes are still out there, maybe there's hope yet?
I think so. A lot of DW fans were saying that was it before these two turned up.

My guess, is that there are probably a bunch more out there in situations similar to this and will pop up from time to time.

Cool! I really dug the early episodes up until Peter Davison regenerated growing up in the 80's. I think I only managed to see only a few Patrick Troughton episodes(and I met him in a convention in Manchester). I used to have a crush on Jon Pertwee's Jo and Baker's Leela, where my dad loved Davidson's Perry(or was that Colin Baker hm ). I have never seen any of the Who's past Sylvester McCoy, but I hear they are phenomenal. Watching the Fright Night remake last night, was the first time I've seen David Tennant in something. Funny actor.

...a young fan almost 30 years ago.

halloween4-14-1985.jpg

I lived in the UK in the early 70's and loved both the John Pertwee and Tom Baker Who's.

I think Baker was the the Dr. which really introduced the show to the US on PBS.

I believe PBS first aired the Bakers in September 1981. :cloud9:

There were all these promos during This Old House and Nova, if I remember correctly.

The Pertwee era were more action-oriented, where the Baker era was more sy-fy and things wound down nicely with many surprises with the Davidson one(the "death" of Adrick :o ). Even though I absolutely hated the remaining Doctor Who episodes that played throughout syndication until 1991. I have to admit, Colin Baker was a great actor morphing his personality into all the Doctors that proceeded him. Too bad they couldn't take the absolutely dreadful writing or his wardrobe more seriously. I gave up the series somewhere after "The Happiness Patrol" episode with Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor. Even with the horrible production values of the Tom Baker years, the show was still watchable. My 2c

I really enjoy the Patrick Troughton run. I wish more of those would turn up.

This gives me a little more hope. Thanks fo the great news!

It astounds me that only seven complete Troughton stories remain out of twenty one. If you count the Invasion story where a the missing episodes are animated the number increases to eight.

Even his regeneration and first story which included Daleks are entirely gone. Hopefully someone somewhere is sitting on a stash and doesn't know what they have.

If you dig around on YouTube or Dailymotion you can watch reconstructed versions of missing episodes using the audio soundtrac, still pictures, existing clips, and some creative animation. Not the real thing, but surprisingly cool.
I watched a couple of those to fill in the gaps for the Ice Warriors and Tenth Planet stories, which are about 80% complete. They worked well in that situation, but I don't know how I would go watching a full story like that, especially a long one like Dalek Masterplan, which, I think, is 12 episodes. That said, I plan to give it a go soon.