• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Opinion Of The Most Influential Modern Comic Book Character

81 posts in this topic

Invincible has gotta gain some appeal though. He had alot more fans a few years ago I see the book going the other way currently. Where they going to go past the Vultrimite stuff?

No way. Invincible is more popular now than ever before.

You know how I discovered Invincible? I read The Walking Dead and said, "wow, what else has this writer done?"

No doubt TWD is the hottest thing bringing people back into comics. And Invincible benefits from this.

Back issues of Invinicble are selling higher than ever. Last year Invinicble #1 CGC 9.8 was at best a $200 book. Now it sells for over $300. I've also noticed that raw copies of #2 used to be $5-$10, and are now $20-$40.

I can totally see an Invincible movie coming out and if done right, it could easily ROCK! But...it has to be done right. If they cut down on the drama AND bloodiness, it might as well just be another Supes movie, which wouldn't make sense. Can't wait for someone to pick it up.

Neglecting? Not sure, but his time is refocused right now for sure. Let's just hope that he does not completely "neglect" it and let that good story go to waste. It's been having some highs and lows from what I've read already. He can't let this sucker die off or passed on to someone else. Do that to Chew instead. :baiting:

lol

Just kidding Chew fans.

Forgetting the GPA analysis alone on Invincible #1, do you think Kirkman is neglecting Invincible's writing now with being a partner with Image, assisiting TWD TV production, the actual writing duties of TWD, and other things?

No. Not at all.

I think the past 2 1/2 years have been some of the best Invincible stories of the entire series. I loved the "Conquest" arc and the "Viltrumite War."

The only complaint I've heard is that the series has focused too much on the Viltrumites (which it has). But to me, they have all been interesting and important parts to the story as a whole. 2c

Forgetting the GPA analysis alone on Invincible #1, do you think Kirkman is neglecting Invincible's writing now with being a partner with Image, assisiting TWD TV production, the actual writing duties of TWD, and other things?

No. Not at all.

I think the past 2 1/2 years have been some of the best Invincible stories of the entire series. I loved the "Conquest" arc and the "Viltrumite War."

The only complaint I've heard is that the series has focused too much on the Viltrumites (which it has). But to me, they have all been interesting and important parts to the story as a whole. 2c

Why I kinda let go was because they should have kept him more Earthbound and had more family dynamics, so I could connect better with the Mark Grayson character. I really let go around 50, because a lot of the surprises and shocking "human" moments weren't there anymore. That's just my view on the character. By issue #13, I would have agreed this character would the Modern Icon to beat ( lol ).

Invincible is the best super-hero book currently being published. Period. To me it's still as good as it's always been. If anything, the Walking Dead has been pretty weak the last few years compared to the beginning. I don't care for the character, but doesn't Spawn have to be on this list somewhere? Or are we going with just the last decade? I know tons of people who don't read comics but remember spawn.

I agree with you. Just my two cents.

Although I will say I enjoyed the Vultrimite War, before that it was a alot of issues before I can say it was really good again. Will see what happens in the next 5 to 10 issues because other then the Vultrimites storyline what else has the book got to build on? I can see Kirkman getting stretched to thin I hope it doesnt happen Invincible is too good to let suffer.

Raw copies of 2-12 have always been fun to watch especially 11 and 12 which really sell well. I cant remember when I saw 2 at $10 in NM though, but it is inching higher now from the last few sales I have seen approaching $30+ on average now.

Influential implies more than just popular. The most influential book or character would have to be the one that has inspired other creators the most or influenced the medium's output.

The Walking Dead is undoubtedly the most influential comic series of the last decade, spawning numerous zombie themed comics to this day. Sure, zombies have been around in comics for decades, but never as popular as they are now. And while Kirkman himself may have been influenced by the increase in zombie themed movies, until TWD, zombies were routinely eclipsed by vampires as a popular horror subject in comics.

I wouldn't say the influence is shared by the Rick Grimes though, as anyone not a fan of the the comic book or TV show would have no idea who he is.

what counts as influential? popularity? potential shelf life? investment value? though i like WD, most people would not know rick grimes if you showed them a pic. invincible is amazing for sure, but my choice....HARLEY QUINN. crossed over in books, games etc etc and you cant go to a con without seeing 100 quinns.

what counts as influential? popularity? potential shelf life? investment value? though i like WD, most people would not know rick grimes if you showed them a pic. invincible is amazing for sure, but my choice....HARLEY QUINN. crossed over in books, games etc etc and you cant go to a con without seeing 100 quinns.

Harley Quinn is my choice as well.

Harley Quinn is my choice as well.

I am getting tired of the :censored: showing up in my Arkham Asylum game taunting me.

I I know tons of people who don't read comics but remember spawn.

Aside from the comic, all I remember is the bad movie. Wasn't there a good cartoon or something though?

I still have this on VHS with some kind of special plastic thing on the front. I enjoyed the cartoon... (HBO)